Notifications
Clear all

Disability And Acne

MemberMember
(@wishonastar)

Posted : 07/27/2014 1:24 pm

Does anyone have a physical disability and acne as well? I'm a ventilator dependent quadriplegic (injured in 2012) and have had acne since I was roughly 11-12 years old ( now 21).

I have such a difficult time dealing with both. Constant stares and comments from people. It really weighs me down emotionally. My Acne is getting bad again even in the last month, I've exploded with papules on my cheeks and forehead and birth control is currently not an option due to my physical condition (I have blood pressure issues due my spinal cord injury and migraines).

I am just trapped.

MemberMember
(@welshy)

Posted : 07/27/2014 1:29 pm

Wow. I'm not in your position but just wanted to say how sorry big am by hat you have so much to deal with. Have you buried antibiotics at all or are they not an option to you?

MemberMember
(@wishonastar)

Posted : 07/27/2014 1:53 pm

Wow. I'm not in your position but just wanted to say how sorry big am by hat you have so much to deal with. Have you buried antibiotics at all or are they not an option to you?

I have in the past (before I got injured) but I didn't really see that much of a difference. I didn't stick to it for a very long time though lol.

I'm hesitant about starting say tetracycline again because I'm unsure how it's going to affect my system as I'm to a degree physically fragile.

I'm currently using an antibiotic prescription cream in a topical form from a derm but it's not working at controlling any of the pimples. I literally wake up with big red papules the next days despite the cream being on my face at night.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/27/2014 4:39 pm

I have no idea how you feel and i won't pretend to. What I can tell you though is that the feeling of being trapped is felt by many of us here to some degree or another. This is an awesome community and if you stick around long enough, you'll make friends.

Can you make a list for us of what you have tried including topical and oral meds. Also list dietary habits and things that you are sensitive to since 2012

Hopefully we'll be able to help. I recently turned 31 so that makes 16 years with acne.

MemberMember
(@wishonastar)

Posted : 07/27/2014 5:13 pm

I have no idea how you feel and i won't pretend to. What I can tell you though is that the feeling of being trapped is felt by many of us here to some degree or another. This is an awesome community and if you stick around long enough, you'll make friends.

Can you make a list for us of what you have tried including topical and oral meds. Also list dietary habits and things that you are sensitive to since 2012

Hopefully we'll be able to help. I recently turned 31 so that makes 16 years with acne.

I have used every prescription cream under the sun (phosphate, differin, retin-a), birth control (which did work for a while) antibiotics and Accutane. I took Accutane when I was 17 and that kept my acne under control for a few years until I was 20 when It started coming back again ( small pustules at the time).

Ive done every acne diet under the sun too and have also eaten very healthy (seriously). My acne is just genetic and really tricky to manage.

I've also used Benzoyl peroxide too in the manor this site suggests but my skin doesn't take to it anymore. I think after a while the skin builds up resistance to topical acne products and things just stop working like they're supposed to.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/28/2014 5:41 am

You sound like me, i've tried it all. I'm guessing Spiro is out due to your blood pressure issues. Have you gotten your hormones tested? Some supplements will be similar to certain prescribed drugs but much safer on your body.

MemberMember
(@khaled91)

Posted : 07/28/2014 8:10 am

Well, Because of the depression acne caused me i suffer from dermal problems in my other body parts "my back and around my belly" I don't even know what it is something like "Psoriasis" But it's actually not. Doctors tell me it's because of my mental state, anxiety and depression it disappears for months and comes back when I think about my face condition too much.

So i understand how to deal with two annoying problems simultaneously, I know it's harder for you but i wanted to express that i know exactly the feeling when life crushes someone with no mercy and of course other people can't imagine that when they gave us these stares it causes us unbearable feelings that we recall for the rest of our lifes.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/28/2014 11:04 am

I had a knee injury when I was younger and the muscles ended up being damaged. Now I have to wear a brace or walk around like a penguin with a cane (if you know the tv series 'house md', that's how I walk without my brace, my friends call me 'house' sometimes because of that and my personality). It's not really a disability, with the brace I can go running and do everything I want, but when I can't wear it because it's too warm outside or because my skin needs to breath I can feel people staring while I hop around. On a positive note: if people make negative remarks about that or my acne I can use my cane to hit them. (just kidding of course :) )

MemberMember
(@wishonastar)

Posted : 07/28/2014 11:57 am

You sound like me, i've tried it all. I'm guessing Spiro is out due to your blood pressure issues. Have you gotten your hormones tested? Some supplements will be similar to certain prescribed drugs but much safer on your body.

Yeah I've had them tested.. Came back normal *shrugs*

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 07/28/2014 12:25 pm

Im just curious are you able to try Accutane again or would that not be an option now?