Using Scrubs On Reg...

Notifications
Clear all

Using Scrubs On Regimen? Why Is It Bad, And Other Regimen Questions

MemberMember
(@crumam)

Posted : 07/26/2014 2:14 pm

What if you were to use a gentle scrub once or twice per week on the regimen very gently to get rid of dead skin cells? Is that still a problem? I know you can use the AHA (which is a good product from acne.org btw) but I often don't use that on my nose and front of my chin because I get very oily there, so I wonder it benzoyl peroxide in those 2 areas are enough to keep blackheads, whiteheads, dry skin, etc. or if i should use a gentle scrub once a week or so. If so is there a scrub that is good out there. I use neutrogen daily acne scrub but I think it irritates me and has bad ingredients.

Basically I'm thinking of starting the regimen, have always had decent skin, went on birth control for a year to regulate my cycle, got off and now have alot of hormonal acne (especially around mouth and upper lip, around edges of my nose, even a bit on my chest back, and front of my neck). I would classify it as still more mild, but not getting better and definitely more than i ever got since high school (i'm 26). I use neutrogena on the spot already, as well as cervae foaming cleanser and mositurizing lotion, but not like the regimen says to do it, and I think I would benefit.

I also have tried new supplements for my acne, i took optizinc but it did not help for the the month of was on it . I think the copper was affecting my absorption because i have lots of copper from the birth control that had copper as an ingredient. ( I guess copper is in alot of products around us, etc. and taking it together with zinc affects the absorption of eachother), so I am now taking normal 50mg zinc as well as evening primrose oil (just started a few days ago) I had taken both of these in the past, and used evening primrose oil for several years before BCP and i know it worked for me so fingers crossed. I also have taken saw palmetto for 8 weeks and I don't think it helps much but I will finish the bottle. I've always taken women's one a day multivitamin so i kept doing that. Someone told me to try brewer's yeast as well, so I bought some, but I really want to try dan's regimen and I don't know how my body will react to all these changes. Sorry for the long post, but help me muddle through this mess! Is dan's regimen helpful for women who get of BCP or will it not affect these stubborn hormonal breakouts! And should I use a gentle scrub once a week?

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 07/28/2014 12:58 am

I got clear on the regimen and then stupidly I used a scrub that I used to use on my skin (and was banished to the back of my cupboard while on the regimen). My skin went from perfectly clear to full of acne within 8 days of using the scrub. needless to say, its again shoved into the back of my cupboard. Irritation is bad for acne, and while on the regimen your skin is already trying to cope with BP and it doesn't need anything else to irritate it. The dry skin will eventually go once you are fully adjusted to BP. You just need to be patient and gentle with you skin.

AHA will work really well on your blackheads. It's greasy for sure, but if you're applying it at night who cares if your face looks greasy?

MemberMember
(@aldomg)

Posted : 07/28/2014 3:31 pm

I used a very light scrub last week and my skin reaction was favorable.

The BP seemed to get into the pores easily.

MemberMember
(@willieandres03)

Posted : 07/31/2014 2:13 am

I personally don't use scrubs cause it irritates my skin...but thats just me. It all depends on the person really. Im 25 yrs old and have had problems with acne since HS. From trying proactiv to even being on accutane (not even sure I spelled that correctly) nothing seemed to work. I tried Dan's regimen and have been hooked since. Its been a few yrs now and its been the only thing that works for me. His products are great but the only 2 I buy off of acne.org are the treatment and aha. As far as a cleanser and moisturizer. ...I pick that up at a walgreens (anything for sensative skin). Try it and follow his instructions....remember to have patience. Clearing acne won't happen over night but it does work. Stay consistent to see success. If you do use a scrub, be very careful and be very very gentle when applying to skin. Also, neutrogena on the spot is alright but Dan's BP (treatment) is alot better in my opinion. Plus I got tired of paying so much for that tiny tube of on the spot. Hope this reply helps a bit. Good luck

MemberMember
(@crumam)

Posted : 08/08/2014 7:08 pm

Thanks guys! I will avoid scrubs for the time being and am using dan's bp at this time. doesn't make me as matte as neutrogena on the spot, but seems to absorb better. after i get 100 percent clear i will try to use dan's at night and NOTS in the morning, but for now i use dan's morning and night.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 08/09/2014 1:27 am

I used as scrub as well. The St. Ives Apricot one. I started only when my skin was already clear and not sensitive anymore. I would use it twice a week just because it helped my skin feel so much smoother. I would apply AHA at night, then use a bit of the scrub in the morning. Of course I try and do this very gently.

MemberMember
(@crumam)

Posted : 08/10/2014 2:40 pm

Hey nicmic62 I saw your before and after and your skin looks beautiful! Well done! I like to see the before and after and I'm so glad it worked for you. I think I may have to try the st. ives scrub once per week verrrry gently with dan's regimen because even with his AHA, which is awesome and i use every night, I feel like my nose and the upper cheeks by my nose are a bit more clogged than usual. I've gotten a pimple or two on my nose that is very small due to the clogged pores, so I just need a little more umph in my regimen. I know people are anti scrub, but I used one for years before trying the regimen and it worked well. The only reason that i stopped and am using the regimen is because I stopped the BCP (mircette) and no scrub/wash, was helping with my acne. Now with vitex, acidophilus, zinc, and the regimen I am seeing good improvements after just 2 weeks! but like I said my pores are congested in certain areas and need something to help with that. Do you still have success with the st. ives scrub and using it gently for sensitive skin?

MemberMember
(@aldomg)

Posted : 08/10/2014 8:05 pm

The St. Ives Apricot one is good, just use it very gently 1 or 2 times per week and it should work because it's going to remove dead skin and it wont irritate at all if used as said. ^_^

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 08/12/2014 10:42 pm

Hey nicmic62 I saw your before and after and your skin looks beautiful! Well done! I like to see the before and after and I'm so glad it worked for you. I think I may have to try the st. ives scrub once per week verrrry gently with dan's regimen because even with his AHA, which is awesome and i use every night, I feel like my nose and the upper cheeks by my nose are a bit more clogged than usual. I've gotten a pimple or two on my nose that is very small due to the clogged pores, so I just need a little more umph in my regimen. I know people are anti scrub, but I used one for years before trying the regimen and it worked well. The only reason that i stopped and am using the regimen is because I stopped the BCP (mircette) and no scrub/wash, was helping with my acne. Now with vitex, acidophilus, zinc, and the regimen I am seeing good improvements after just 2 weeks! but like I said my pores are congested in certain areas and need something to help with that. Do you still have success with the st. ives scrub and using it gently for sensitive skin?

Yes! I still use St. Ives until now. I just think it gives my skin a much exfoliation from any buildup. I hope you have succes with it. 🙂