Notifications
Clear all

Ziana/biacna For Hormonal Acne?

MemberMember
(@alexamelo)

Posted : 07/25/2014 2:31 am

Hey guys, I'm new to this acne.org site so I'll give you a little background story of my acne.

I'm 16 and I've been suffering with moderate to severe hormonal acne for 2 years. I currently have a lot of white heads on my forehead, blackheads on my nose, and my main concern are my cheeks. My cheeks used to be filled with very large painful pimples and I have been using Tactuo (or Epiduo) ever since I had acne. Now I have about 2-5 pimples on each cheek depending on the time of the month, and they're also covered with post inflammatory hyperpigmentation with a few pitted scars. Oh and I have very oily skin and large pores.

So my derm prescribed me 50mg of minocycline in Feb and just last week he prescribed me biacna (ziana). I'm trying to slowly get off the minocycline bc I feel like two antibiotics is too much. I have been using the biacna for a week now and so far I'm breaking out a ton. I'm wondering if anyone with hormonal acne used ziana/biacna to treat their acne bc I read somewhere it doesn't work for hormonal acne, it just brings everything up to the surface :/

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/25/2014 6:38 am

The thing with hormonal acne is that if you don't get the hormones under control, your skin will continue to produce more sebum an the cycle will continue. If your flares are related to your periods, have you tried BCP? Also, some say diet and exercise can help regulate hormones to an extent (your still at an age where your hormones will surge regardless). I don't think alone Ziana will clear your acne (I've used it and hated it) but keep at it for 3 months and then re-evlauate.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 07/25/2014 8:26 am

i would do what your derm suggests and keep taking the mino it should clear you pretty well but will take time. its not too much since the one antibiotic is just on your face. the ziana stuff will cause everything to come to the surface which is why people break out at first pretty badly but then that should clear up in time.

good luck!

MemberMember
(@psychokitty)

Posted : 07/25/2014 9:52 am

I have hormonal acne and really oily skin too. I am going to try taking Vitamin D3 1000IU. I just read a post by a guy on the site called sebumsucks and it made a lot of sense to me.

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 07/25/2014 10:35 am

Why do you think it's hormonal? Hormonal acne is usually on the lower part of the face.

MemberMember
(@alexamelo)

Posted : 07/25/2014 12:51 pm

The thing with hormonal acne is that if you don't get the hormones under control, your skin will continue to produce more sebum an the cycle will continue. If your flares are related to your periods, have you tried BCP? Also, some say diet and exercise can help regulate hormones to an extent (your still at an age where your hormones will surge regardless). I don't think alone Ziana will clear your acne (I've used it and hated it) but keep at it for 3 months and then re-evlauate.

Thanks for your help. I havent tried a BCP, my derm hasnt even recommended it to me. On the second visit he was already ready to put me on accutane. But I will try to stay on ziana and see how it goes.

i would do what your derm suggests and keep taking the mino it should clear you pretty well but will take time. its not too much since the one antibiotic is just on your face. the ziana stuff will cause everything to come to the surface which is why people break out at first pretty badly but then that should clear up in time.

good luck!

Thanks for your advice. I have been using the minocycline for 6 months now 2x a day, and it has helped 70% of my acne. The mino does kill all the bacteria in my gut including the good ones, so thats why I dont want to continue it any longer. But thanks again for your help!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/25/2014 4:19 pm

Give your topical regimen 3-4 months before making changes.

MemberMember
(@uareflawless321)

Posted : 03/06/2015 7:51 pm

Its normal to break out when using it that early. Give it time and the breakouts should subside. I've been using it for 5 to 6 months and personally am not seeing a big difference, but that's just me. Good luck!