Notifications
Clear all

80 Mg Of Accutane And Wigh Only 114 Pounds Is This Safe?

MemberMember
(@sankofa1)

Posted : 07/24/2014 9:46 am

I am supposed to take two 40 mgs of Accutane daily....and I weigh only 114 pounds do u think that is safe?

MemberMember
(@harry1993)

Posted : 07/24/2014 11:11 am

How bad is your acne?

I think it's fine for cumulative dose, you'll just be on it less time.

MemberMember
(@kagt)

Posted : 07/24/2014 12:07 pm

you are starting off on that? I am 5'8" and about 150 lbs - female and my derm put me on 40 mgs daily for the first month. Then 80 mgs daily the second. I started my thirs month and am on 80 mgs again and I believe will continue on it for remainder of time (5 months).

MemberMember
(@sankofa1)

Posted : 07/24/2014 12:08 pm

yeah I am supposed to take 40 mg morning and 40 mg night ...my acne happened suddenly an outbreak of small cysts and pustules that have caused a lot of superficial scarring....it all happened in a matter of two months the shit attacked my face

MemberMember
(@kagt)

Posted : 07/24/2014 12:10 pm

Well if your doc prescribed that then you should be fine...your side effects might appear more perhaps since it is a stronger dosage. I am glad mine started me on 40 at first - side effects happened within 2-3 days - dry lips for the most part.

MemberMember
(@sankofa1)

Posted : 07/24/2014 12:22 pm

eek im scared so what are u using to moisturize..and how bad is your acne KAGT? this is all hard for me as im a grown ass woman dealing with this and it just happened suddenly I never had bad skin...I hope I don't scar too bad I have a lot of red marks already...every pimple cyst leaves a red mark

MemberMember
(@kagt)

Posted : 07/24/2014 12:49 pm

My acne was very mild. Mostly around my jaw/chin. Ocassionally on my cheeks. I stopped breking out after the 1st month. I haven't popped a pimple in over 2 months! It is fabulous. I've even gone to beach with no make up. Even though my acne was mild my derm prescibed me accutane as I'd been batteling with pimple since 12. I am 36 now....there was many times of unhappiness and being embarassed.

MemberMember
(@sankofa1)

Posted : 07/24/2014 2:59 pm

1. I understand im 32 ..and a single mommy...and got hit with a bad breakout which I blame the dermatologists...I had a mild breakout like u....went to a derm who did an isolaz and extractions treatment on me and must have spread an infection with her facial all over my face as I broke out in cystic acne rapidly a month after that. she then prescribed Accutane..i had to move went to another state...the derm I saw was scared to prescribe me and I began scarring..finally I have now found a derm to give me the Accutane and im just praying once the red marks are gone the scars wont be too bad...as I have really isolated myself due to this situation
MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/24/2014 3:41 pm

80 mg does seem high especially in relation to your weight but none of us on here are doctors. Be aware though that starting at such a high dose may make side effects stronger than if you had started on a lower dose. Why not only take 40mg for a few weeks to see how your body reacts? I did that on my course and it helped minimize side effects. Your marks should go away once you stop breaking out and your skin has an extended time to heal so focus on getting rid of the acne

Good Luck!

MemberMember
(@sankofa1)

Posted : 07/24/2014 3:45 pm

yeah I thought they would put me on like 20 mgs or something due to my size...but they said nope 40 mg morning and night...and they did it with kids 16 who weighed like 100 pounds....hmmmm I will try the 80 if I feel sick....ill go down to 80...80 is really high I know and my body doesn't tolerate medicine well. I think they want to try to knock the shit out fast

MemberMember
(@jj)

Posted : 07/24/2014 7:51 pm

Typical dose is 0.5 - 1mg/kg but you can go higher or lower. I'm only on 30mg and I weigh 75kg which is 0.4mg/kg. at your weight 80mg/day is 1.6mg/kg which is high but definitely within a safe dosage range (the upper limit is around 2mg/kg day). Some seems prefer high doses some low maybe your derm has had more success with higher doses. I'd give them a call or send an email if concerned - they are more qualified and knowledgable than the people on this forum like you and I. Good luck with your course.

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 07/24/2014 8:05 pm

80 is high. Current research indicates that starting at such a high dose can significantly increase your risk of scarring. I would ask about starting lower and working your way up unless there is a specific reason they want you starting this high. There very well may be good reasons, but you have the right to know and understand those reasons.

MemberMember
(@sankofa1)

Posted : 07/24/2014 9:13 pm

Kim could u post or inbox me where I can read about scarring at higher doses. icalled the derm twice but he said that's the dose they prescribe everyone and since its divided two times a dday I should be fine...that they prescribe it to teenagers who weigh less then me....so I don't even know..

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 07/25/2014 10:46 am

If that's what they always do, then I guess that's just what they like. I get most of my info from peer reviewed medical journals that I have access to as a master's student. There are a few that mention it, but I don't have the time to find them all for you right now. I remembered the name of one article I thought was really comprehensive and referenced a lot of others I had read.

From that:

"The dose of isotretinoin has been well established at 0.51.0mg/kg per day for 1620 weeks to a cumulative dose of 120140mg/kg.[15] We know this is effective, so why change? The main reason is that, while 1mg/kg per day is as effective as 0.1mg/kg per day in clearing acne, the adverse effects are very much greater. At 1mg/kg per day, 98% of patients complain of adverse events, while at doses below 0.25mg/kg per day, half the patients experience no adverse effects at all, and in those who do, the effects are significantly less severe.[18] While the evidence for an association between isotretinoin and psychiatric or gastrointestinal adverse effects remains controversial, a reduction in daily dose can only be regarded as being of potential benefit.

A further advantage of using a lower dose is the differential effect on acne scarring. At 1mg/kg per day there is a well-established risk of excessive scarring, yet at doses of 0.1mg/kg per day acne scarring is generally much less (see above).

The first published study of isotretinoin for acne used a dosage range of 1.03.3mg/kg per day.[2] However, subsequent dose-ranging studies indicated that there was no dose effect in the 0.13.0mg/kg per day range, in that all dosages cleared acne in equal measure and at the same rate.[3-8, 19]

Source:

Marius Rademaker*

Australasian Journal of Dermatology

Volume 54, Issue 3, pages 157162, August 2013

MemberMember
(@sankofa1)

Posted : 07/25/2014 11:16 am

thank you!!!...so i'll be safe if I just do the 40 mg to start right and I just wont do the 80

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 07/26/2014 12:25 am

Sorry. Didn't mean to scare you. The other posters are correct that 80mg is within a normal dosing range. Many people don't have an initial breakout (usually the cause of scarring), and many handle higher doses just fine.

I would say take it as prescribed, but know that if the side effects are bothersome, or you become concerned about scarring, you can always lower your daily dose which should not affect the results of your treatment - you'll just be on it longer.

Best of luck!

MemberMember
(@sankofa1)

Posted : 07/26/2014 8:06 am

Hey Kim well I breakout regardless and its scarring me so there is not much I can do..I am having an initial breakout now but I don't know if that means it will scar me or not...just breaking out a little more...my acne is different really I believe I have like staph or folliculitis due to the overuse of the antibiotics the dermatologists gave me

MemberMember
(@adrianfe12)

Posted : 07/26/2014 9:32 am

Essentially, your taking a gamble.

Some humans can tolerate taking Accutane, (particularly at a high dose), while others can not tolerate it, (for instance a small dose can have permanent side effects on them).

There is a reason that dermatologist usually reserve it for a last case scenario as an acne treatment.

MemberMember
(@sankofa1)

Posted : 07/26/2014 9:36 am

Adriane well he said he prescribes everyone at that...what are longterm side effects...such as what ?

MemberMember
(@adrianfe12)

Posted : 07/26/2014 9:56 am

If you google, "Long term effects from Accutane", I am pretty sure you can find lists of potential negative side effects caused by Accutane. I am also sure that some of these accounts may be exacerbated when people blame everything wrong in their lives from accutane. Dont believe everything you find in the internet.

However, I can tell you a personal anecdote. Before accutane I had oily skin and many pimples. I started accutane about two years ago and I used it for about one week with 20 milligrams a day, I went to my derm after the first week and she told me to stop becuase I had very flakey, dry skin. Since that week I had very, very few acne and dry (always ranged from mild to moderate), flaky skin. Actually, early this year, I was diagnosed with Keratosis Pilaris (KP); when your body produces too much keratin and excretes these proteins at the hair follicules; from the same dermatologist, a relatively late diagnosis cosidering I already had this condition for a while. KP essentially emulates ecezema.

I think my keratosis pilaris is rare side effect, but Accutane did caused this. Not only your are at risk for this side effect, but your at risks for more other side effects. At the same time, if you have good genes, you will experience little to no side effects after accutane. Its all a gamble.

MemberMember
(@sankofa1)

Posted : 07/26/2014 10:10 am

I see so did u find a remedy for your acne and the keratosis pilaris off the Accutane?

MemberMember
(@adrianfe12)

Posted : 07/26/2014 2:02 pm

The accutane not only fixed my acne but it gave me keratosis pilaris. That is what I meant in my last post. However, the Keratosis Pilaris is more severe than my acne I had about two years ago.

I actually started a topic about KP if you want to research it: