Notifications
Clear all

Can You Define Superficial Scars?

MemberMember
(@sankofa1)

Posted : 07/23/2014 12:37 pm

So I went to the doctor today to get on Accutane and iasked him about my scarring and he said they are mostly superficial....what does that mean? will it go away on its own?

MemberMember
(@sankofa1)

Posted : 07/23/2014 3:09 pm

anyone ..just wanting to know what superficial scarring is..is it hypertrophic or what?

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 07/23/2014 3:28 pm

Moderate to severe acne can leave behind marks on the face. Some acne marks and scars are deeply pitted and difficult to remove. Superficial acne scars can be removed easily and have certain characteristics that can make them easily identifiable. Superficial acne scars will usually fade over a few weeks or months, while severe acne scars take up to a year to fully fade.

MemberMember
(@sankofa1)

Posted : 07/23/2014 5:23 pm

ok so most of my scars will heal on their own then...if they are superficial...second I will be going on Accutane ...does Accutane cause more scarring from the initial breakout?

MemberMember
(@perigon)

Posted : 07/23/2014 7:01 pm

Moderate to severe acne can leave behind marks on the face. Some acne marks and scars are deeply pitted and difficult to remove. Superficial acne scars can be removed easily and have certain characteristics that can make them easily identifiable. Superficial acne scars will usually fade over a few weeks or months, while severe acne scars take up to a year to fully fade.

wink.png

Sorry but this is a load of rubbish. Scars are called scars because they are permanent and can only be improved/removed with surgery.

Perhaps you are confusing red marks with scars. Red marks are not scars in general and do fade away up to a year or more after the causing acne has subsided

To the OP. The word "superficial" is very subjective. A surgeon I visited was very hesitant to perform on me as he thought my scars were very superficial. You can check my topic history if you want to see pictures. I don't consider mine superficial despite how much I want to believe this guy. They are shallow in general but numerous.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 07/23/2014 8:08 pm

ok so most of my scars will heal on their own then...if they are superficial...second I will be going on Accutane ...does Accutane cause more scarring from the initial breakout?

Possibly because it may cause you to breakout more than you are already are BUT I dont think it will be much more than you are already experiencing.

MemberMember
(@sankofa1)

Posted : 07/23/2014 8:41 pm

and CW..what do u say for the superficial scarring because im not getting a clear response...do these heal on their own...and blend in with the skin or superficial scars need to be worked on after treatment

MemberMember
(@perigon)

Posted : 08/04/2014 9:08 pm

and CW..what do u say for the superficial scarring because im not getting a clear response...do these heal on their own...and blend in with the skin or superficial scars need to be worked on after treatment

I'll throw my 2 cents in on this. ''Superficial scarring" is a very subjective term. There's no way of knowing the state of your skin simply from those words that your derm told you. If you were able to take some good pictures of your skin in harsh lighting then we'd know what we're dealing with here.

As i mentioned above, actual indented scarring doesn't heal on it's own. That said, pigmentation does get better and this is why scars look better over time. You may even just have pigmentation, as most people confuse pigmentation and scarring, in which case you have nothing to worry about at all.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 08/04/2014 9:45 pm

I think it's hard to say. It's one of those "I'll know it when I see it" kind of things. For example, you can have only a few very deep scars, with the rest of your face mostly spared, and be considered to have severe scarring. On the other hand, you can have shallow scars, but have them covering a large swath of your face which would look equally bad.