Notifications
Clear all

Post-Accutane Kp , A Serious Dry Skin Disease. Picture Included!

MemberMember
(@adrianfe12)

Posted : 07/21/2014 5:25 pm

Hi, first of all let me say I want you to post on the forum, I want you to be engaged in this topic especially if you have had the same condition I experienced.

I have been accutane free for two years already. I had ONLY taken 20 milligrams of accutane per day for 8 days when I was on accutane two years ago. I went to my derm after the 8 days becuase of the dry skin I had developed, so she took me out of accutane.

However, ever since then, the dry skin remained, even after all the moisturizing treatments my.dermatologist gave me.

After a couple dermatologist appointments, I had been diagnosed with Keratosis Pilaris Alba. It kind of looks like sebborich dermatitis. Please let me know if anyone has developed a similar condition to what I have after taking accutane? Also have you succesfully treated this condition. Also please let me know if you think the dry skin might be something else, (since my dermatologist wasnt 100% sure), I have attached a photo.

Thanks!!!!

post-180571-0-99726400-1405981116.jpg

post-180571-0-99726400-1405981116.jpg

MemberMember
(@hexagon)

Posted : 07/25/2014 4:33 am

Hi, I have finished accutane recently and my skin got extremely scaley and flakey too, I definitely believe I have some kind of dermatitis. What works for me is using a muslin cloth in the shower it's so good at gently exfoliating and then I use an AHA / glycolic acid (specifically paulas choice, expensive but worth it) which seems to just dissolve all flakes with no irritation. If you dont want to buy an AHA product you can use diluted apple cider vinger which acts as a natural AHA. Lastly, another thing you could try is taking borage oil capsules or any oil with good essential fatty acids which are crucial for good quality sebum and many people with these skin conditions are deficient in these fatty acids

Hope this helps :)

MemberMember
(@adrianfe12)

Posted : 07/26/2014 9:25 am

Thanks for the input.

I tried using oil capsules, it did made my skin oily, however the white flakes did not disappeared. I honestly don't want to apply any over the counter AHA's, since I believe that it causes more harm than good (I developed a mentality that every modern medicine has a potential for long term side effects, and I believe my genes makes me more susceptible to these long term side effects than other people). I may consider apple cider vinegar in the future, but ....

I recently applied coconut oil while in the shower and it pretty much made all the flakes disappeared. The best about the coconut oil is there was no burning sensation at all, it actually felt quite soothing. I will continue to apply more and see if the results are stay the same.

MemberMember
(@tyler-r)

Posted : 07/29/2014 10:05 pm

That crust/buildup looks like it might be some kind of fungal problem or Seborrheic Dermatitus. I would continue to use the coconut oil, just make sure it is raw and unrefined. Coconut oil is also anti-fungal. Look into some anti-fungal shampoos like Nizoral and Head and Shoulders too. People have also had success with these.

MemberMember
(@kagt)

Posted : 07/31/2014 10:57 am

So how did you get rid of your acne?