Notifications
Clear all

Dairy & Adult Acne After Accutane - No Dairy Diet The Solution?

MemberMember
(@rocklerm78)

Posted : 07/21/2014 12:02 pm

Hello!

I'm posting this after taking Accutane twice but still struggling with acne, and am now wondering if the root cause of my acne may be a food allergy. I took Accutane 5 years ago and had good results. Unfortunately, after having my daughter 2 years ago, my acne came back and is it's usual persistent and scaring self. I took a second course of Accutane, finishing up about 4 months ago. It helped but not as much as the first time. I'm still getting acne, despite using Retin-A and trying just about every single other oral or topical solution both OTC and prescribed by my dermatologist. Recently, a friend of mine mentioned I might have a dairy allergy. I'd tested mildly allergic to 'bovine' products a few years back but per my allergist, if it "didn't make me feel bad, I could still eat it", so I did. Now, I'm wondering if dairy may be a bigger issue for me than I'd like to believe, and could be the root cause of my acne. What is confusing is that after Accutane the first time my skin was beautiful for four years; if dairy was an issue, why would my skin have stayed clear those years? If anyone else has trouble with dairy products and may have a similar history with periods of clear skin then not, I'd love to hear it. I'm going to try nixing dairy anyway, and work on adding in vitamins and other dietary substitutions to see how it goes.

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@ask24)

Posted : 08/01/2014 10:47 pm

I just recently figured out dairy was the issue.

I literally drank 5 cups of milk each day for about 18 years.

Now i have a problem, I think it may be the hormones/steriods injected into the cows.

Its possible to find out now, if it wasn't a big deal a few years ago.

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 08/02/2014 3:46 pm

I really don't want to give up dairy/beef forever.

Grass fed free range beed and hormone-free dairy might be options, too.

http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/issues/1044/rbgh/guide-to-rbgh-free-dairy-products

I rarely see goat milk anywhere, tho goat cheese I can do

MemberMember
(@lamb1988)

Posted : 08/03/2014 4:22 pm

I am with you on dairy. I haven't had dairy in a while and last week when I ate a ton of cheese, I broke out with horrible cystic acne. Going to avoid dairy for a while and see how it works out.

MemberMember
(@rocklerm78)

Posted : 08/03/2014 8:56 pm

Wow - your treatment history sounds almost exactly like mine. I tried Accutane twice too, it worked one of those times. How long did you cut out dairy before you saw results? I've heard different times all over the map, from 4 days to 4 weeks or longer.

I really don't want to give up dairy/beef forever.

Grass fed free range beed and hormone-free dairy might be options, too.

http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/issues/1044/rbgh/guide-to-rbgh-free-dairy-products

I rarely see goat milk anywhere, tho goat cheese I can do

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 08/03/2014 9:51 pm

I've had long periods of clear skin. It's so hard to tell what the issue is when our hormones are in constant flux as we age.

My TCM dr cleared the acne from my month of eating cereal and alta dena milk morning, noon and night within a week. I did have a slight breakout from the initial kidney-liver detox. I was also eating a couple of other allergenic foods (sunflower seeds and hot dogs, not to mention the high GI of any processed cereal.) Spicy food was also forbidden, along with garlic, onion, chives and leeks, sweets and juices.

During my milk binge, I was inconsolably weepy and sensitive. I had been on also on Spirano and Yas long term, which TCM doc took me off of. I'm still waiting on my Thyroid panel to see where I'm at hormonally, probably hyperthyroid if anything, but I'm on all of these dietary restrictions right now and my skin is almost perfect now. Was it dairy? Was gluten? No idea, but I have more energy, feel emotionally stable, and look better.

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/condition/hyperthyroidism

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 08/04/2014 8:48 am

I am seeing a common theme here and it is extremism.

If dairy is the trigger then by all means cut it out.

What i am seeing here is " I cut dairy out for a long time then all of a sudden at a load of it"

Two things here. Overly restricting on said food product can actually cause the food sensitivity. I can't remember the name of the study but it there is good info on this.

Binging on the said food. So you a cut a food out for a year then all of a sudden ate your body weight in it all in on day. Of course this going to have some kind negative effect. If you ate too many veggis in one sitting it will have a bad effect.

Try and keep it logical cutting foods out. Firstly try cutting down on the food for a few months and see if things improve, If there is zero improvement then logic would suggest this isn't the trigger. If you so wish to cut it out altogether then go for it but at least you cut down slowly.

Extremism is not the answer.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/04/2014 3:44 pm

Fermenting removes some of the problematic substances in dairy. Goat is also better than cow. And pastured better than factory farmed. More:

So you could try only having fermented dairy such as yogurt, kefir, fermented cheese, etc. My personal method and advice is to think of dairy as a condiment, not a food group.

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 08/05/2014 8:44 pm

What i am seeing here is " I cut dairy out for a long time then all of a sudden at a load of it"

Two things here. Overly restricting on said food product can actually cause the food sensitivity. I can't remember the name of the study but it there is good info on this.

Binging on the said food. So you a cut a food out for a year then all of a sudden ate your body weight in it all in on day. Of course this going to have some kind negative effect. If you ate too many veggis in one sitting it will have a bad effect.

Try and keep it logical cutting foods out. Firstly try cutting down on the food for a few months and see if things improve, If there is zero improvement then logic would suggest this isn't the trigger. If you so wish to cut it out altogether then go for it but at least you cut down slowly.

I hope you're not referring to my post, because I have always consumed beef and dairy with some consistency, like a hamburger every other week, cereal a few times a week, quite a bit of cheese, but not so much that cutting back wouldn't mean cutting it out completely. And never so much acne that there wouldn't logically be a correlation. Who has dairy every day? Lots of assumptions ^

For me, extremism absolutely was the answer. When you're inflamed, no one has time to cut back this, wait a month, then try that, rinse repeat. imho. I got relief fast.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 08/06/2014 5:44 am

I hope you're not referring to my post, because I have always consumed beef and dairy with some consistency, like a hamburger every other week, cereal a few times a week, quite a bit of cheese, but not so much that cutting back wouldn't mean cutting it out completely. And never so much acne that there wouldn't logically be a correlation. Who has dairy every day? Lots of assumptions ^

For me, extremism absolutely was the answer. When you're inflamed, no one has time to cut back this, wait a month, then try that, rinse repeat. imho. I got relief fast.

If i was referring your post then i would have quoted it.

Answer me this,

Is extremism sustainable? For me it is not sustainable. If something is not sustainable then how can this be a good habit to adopt?