Notifications
Clear all

Dapsone Tablets

MemberMember
(@rickshaw78)

Posted : 07/21/2014 8:21 am

Always been a bit curious about this drug and it being prescribed for Acne has anyone else been given this from a dermatologist?

It's a Leprosy treatment but my Derm in the past has given me it for Acne.

Just wondering has anyone else had success taking this treatment? Found the side effects worse than Roacutane at times to be honest.

Heard that Dapsone gel is very good for Acne as well but is not given out by the NHS in the UK right now anyone tried this stuff and was it any good?

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 07/23/2014 3:19 pm

I read that oral dapsone was given as treatment for acne before isotretinoin, but they stopped the practice because isotretinoin was equally as effective but contained less side-effects (surprisingly). Dapsone gel is marketed here in the states under a brand name called Aczone. I have used it, and it's "ok". I would say that it was not as effective as BP or retinoids, but it has the advantage in not causing redness or peeling and having no IB. I'd say that if you have mild acne and are covered, it might be a good option if you don't like BP or retinoids. Its outragously expensive if your insurance doesn't cover it.