Notifications
Clear all

Accutane For Red Flat Marks?

MemberMember
(@martino123)

Posted : 07/18/2014 10:40 pm

So my doctor and my dermatologists recommend i go on Accutane although most of my face is flat red marks that don't hurt. I thought these marks were hyperpigmentation but my doctor said it was scarring and that the colour will disappear in 12 months time. (Isn't that hyperpigmentation?) So I was wondering, does Accutane work for hyperpigmentation or flat red painless marks. I thought hyperpigmentation was just those flat red marks...... I'll try and include a few photos to give an idea of what it looks like later on

Thank you very much and good luck

MemberMember
(@missamua)

Posted : 07/18/2014 11:27 pm

Do you have a picture? Accutane is prescribed for either severe acne or acne that is leaving permanent pitted scarring.

MemberMember
(@martino123)

Posted : 07/18/2014 11:46 pm

post-405273-0-19772100-1405744970.jpgpost-405273-0-22151500-1405744981.jpg

ok here are the pics..... i have more on my forehead and on the other side as well. I'm pretty sure it's hyperpigmentation also I still get pimples like every 4 days.

Thanks very much

oh i forgot to mention i'm wearing moisturiser now it's usually a lot dryer

thank you very much

MemberMember
(@misshopeful123)

Posted : 07/19/2014 12:38 am

even though there is no sciencific proof to back me up yeah i definetly think accutane somehow take away a good majority of my red marks just within two month did anyone have the same experience?

MemberMember
(@missamua)

Posted : 07/19/2014 7:34 am

You appear to have some atrophic scarring as well as hyper pigmentation leftover from the acne. If you are breaking out at all, even a cystic pimple here or there, Accutane is a good option. Unfortunately, even a little bit of acne here and there, over time, can cause you to end up with a lot of scarring..so it's best to try and treat it in a way that provides long term improvement.
As to whether or not it will get rid of the redness, Accutane increases cell turnover, so theoretically it should fade the marks faster. It's basically a systemic form of Retin-A (plus it reduces sebum) which is why it works so well for acne.
One thing to keep in mind is that you can't have any scar treatments (I'm talking specifically about the pitted scars, not the redness) for at least a year after stopping Accutane because it affects wound healing. So the other option is to try Dan's Regimen which works really well (cleared my severe acne) but you'll have to consistently use it or the acne will come back. There's pros and cons to the situation.
MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/19/2014 7:52 am

It seems that most of your active acne has faded so accutane would not be my first choice. Why not try retin A which over time will fade your marks and should help your breakouts to slow done.

Accutane purges your skin so it could potentially create more scars and marks for you.

MemberMember
(@martino123)

Posted : 07/19/2014 8:44 pm

Thanks for all the replies. My dermatologist told me there is a chance that my acne would get worse initially on Accutane which can cause more scarring as well as several other side effects. I'll discuss it with him and decide if Accutane is really necessary since most of my acne is hyperpigmentation. leelowe1 I have used a retinoid mixed with benzoyl peroxide before (which contains retin A) and it didn't make much difference to the hyperpigmentation although the breakouts definitely slowed down. Here's a good tip:

I stopped getting these pimples after using jojoba oil + moisturiser and washing my face with cold water and taking lukewarm showers. Since my acne got really severe during my exams I reduced my stress through exercise and deep breathing+music+comedy radio and there have been far less pimples.

Good luck everyone