Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest GetMeTheResults

Before You Apply Powder What Do You Use?

Guest GetMeTheResults

I tried Bare Minerals' samples today, but the powder looked very flaky on my lesions, especially those with a crust, so I was wondering if you use a specific primer or bb/cc cream to take care of that.

It looked so bad that it was better to wear no makeup at all.

I dont wear make up any more (best decision ever), but when I used to wear I always applied a gooood moisturizer, that has some acne friendly oil in it in order for the make up to stay.

Everyone raves about bare minerals, but I think it looks awful. I'm sure it works great for some, but I find it just accentuates every tiny wrinkle and tiny bump like crazy. They do make several primers, I think Prime Time is the original (which is full of silicones and sort of goes against the reason most people use this), but maybe you are right that this would improve the situation.

Just my opinion.

Edited by Kim28

p.s. I tried this because (probably like you?) I heard it was great for acne prone skin. I actually don't doubt this because it has a really high concentration of zinc oxide in it, which is great for inflammation and redness (which is why it is the main ingredient in most diaper rash creams too). So, if you can make it work it's probably a great option. I just use sunscreen with lots of zinc oxide in it because I do think zinc is a lovely thing, and it seems to reduce redness.

Guest GetMeTheResults

Hey fire nature,

Love the smoothie recipe! Unfortunately I'm not a moisturizer person :(

Thanks Kim. CeraVe's daily moisturizer has a very high SPF and zinc in it, so I'll just use that.

I have gotten used to the no makeup routine in the past 2 weeks, it's hard to believe, but I've had the samples for 2 months lol

Edited by GetMeTheResults

Bare Minerals broke me out SO badly, both times I tried it. Other mineral makeups did, too. It's a scam and most people have combination skin so it just doesn't set evenly on the very oily or very dry parts.

I tried Bare Minerals' samples today, but the powder looked very flaky on my lesions, especially those with a crust, so I was wondering if you use a specific primer or bb/cc cream to take care of that.

It looked so bad that it was better to wear no makeup at all.

If you've been previously treating acne you'll probably find that it is best just not to wear make-up - that's what I did. Any acne will heal better without it. But of course some days we all want to wear our make-up. I would recommended a moisturiser for sensitive skin rather than a primer - primer's often have ingredients in them that worsen acne. Unfortunately, although powder mineral foundations seem to be much better for acne-prone skin they don't sit well on dry patches or acne lesions.

I too have tried the Bare Minerals samples and have found they were really good. But some of their products have this ingredient, whose name I can't remember right now, and it irritates the skin. Instead, I use Lily Lolo mineral foundation - cheaper than Bare Minerals and better in my opinion. Doesn't break me out at all.

Guest GetMeTheResults

I'll man it up without makeup ....

Hyaluronic and/or Body Shop Aloe Serum, then L'oreal Visible Lift SPF15 foundation if I'm dry. Foundation alone if I'm not.

Powder alone is too fine and starchy, doesn't go on evenly, clogs pores.

Foundation acts as a barrier to free radical oxydative damage, other dirt and a sunblock, with or without SPF.

I'd rather have makeup sitting on my skin while I'm outdoors than other pollutants.

Hi, I don't wear heavy make up also. I wear sunblock and BB cream to protect in the morning to protect my skin from harmful uv rays and pollutants. Our face is the most exposed to sun, pollutants, debris and dirt so therefore deep cleansing is very vital. I always bring with me the fuss free facial wipes which are ready to use. These wipes contain natural ingredients that are good for my skin. You can try them also.

Guest GetMeTheResults

Which wipes do you use? Have you had them while on accutane?

I'll man it up without makeup ....

Woop! Definitely give it a go.

I didn't really have much of a choice - my skin was so bumpy with pustules that make-up just wasn't going to make a difference, and even when it started to calm down and became more even my skin burned if I tried to apply foundation. So no make-up. But then, even when my skin started to get better, I just didn't wear make-up. It was scary at first because I used to wear make-up everyday to cover up my spots. Now, I've not been wearing make-up for two years and it's definitely one of the best decisions I have ever made - it's really freeing and I definitely think it's been better for my skin.

I still wear it for special occasions and nights out though ...

Edited by Jollyhohnson

Moisturizer then my Korres Pomegranate Matte Primer (good ingredients for a primer) then I use my foundation and then set it with a translucent powder.

Guest GetMeTheResults

Moisturizer then my Korres Pomegranate Matte Primer (good ingredients for a primer) then I use my foundation and then set it with a translucent powder.

Isn't a primer useless once you've put moisturizer?