Notifications
Clear all

My Favourite Moisturizer Contains Dimathicone. Should I Be Concerned?

MemberMember
(@fyry)

Posted : 07/16/2014 1:44 pm

Recently I checked the ingridients of my super expensive moisturizer (BABOR, intensive care pure) for acne skin. It contains shea butter, jojoba oil, macadamia oil, sesame seed oil, some other stuff, extracts of super plants but also dimethicone. I read that dimethicone ''stays'' on the skin like a wall, ok like a mask (excuse my English ) and can clog pores with time. I noticed that my skin looks a lot better when I dont apply it 2 times a day, but just once (in the morning). Then I stopped to use it at all and tried hemp seed oil for moisturizing. At first I was amazed at how soft my skin was, but just 3 days after that I had a bad break out: so much blackheads and white heads under the skin were going UP in the form of an actual white head that will last for about a day or 2.

I also got a pimple on my neck, where I applied hemp seed too, but I NEVER get any acne there. This is why I am sure I dont tolerate it.

Now I am a bit confused:

1) Should I be concerned about the dimethicone in the normal moisturizer?

2) Is the natural alternative to this moisturizer (high linoleic oil, although I am scared to try other oils, because if a non comedogenic oil breaks me out, than the comedogenic oils will do it for sure) better and do you think it might be a good sign that it turned so much dirt on my face into pimples? Like a cleansing reaction? Did you experience this?

I must notice that I dont have a bad acne right now, just super fast healing red spots after I stopped using foundation (on my cheek I have just 10-20% left, on my left cheek maybe 30%) and this last flows of inflammation and clogged pores. I easily go out without make up now, my face is not red and the spots are not that visible. But the evil is still there, I must take away every % of his life

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 07/16/2014 4:53 pm

Some people (mostly natural types) argue that silicones like dimethicone are occlusive and can clog pores. Science says no. A moisturizer is always a big mix of stuff, so it might not even be a single ingredient causing issues, but a combination. In my opinion, chances are pretty slim dimethicone in particular is the problem.

MemberMember
(@fyry)

Posted : 07/16/2014 5:37 pm

Some people (mostly natural types) argue that silicones like dimethicone are occlusive and can clog pores. Science says no. A moisturizer is always a big mix of stuff, so it might not even be a single ingredient causing issues, but a combination. In my opinion, chances are pretty slim dimethicone in particular is the problem.

What do you mean by ''slim dimethicone''? How do I know if my cream contains slim dimethicone?

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 07/16/2014 9:09 pm

Lol, sorry if my wording makes no sense! By 'chances are pretty slim', I meant it isn't very likely that it is causing the issue.

MemberMember
(@fyry)

Posted : 07/16/2014 10:12 pm

Oh no problem :D My English is not the best.

I checked out the favourite moisturizer here in the forum. Aveeno ultra calming..... and guess what? It has PARABENS, Dimethicone and so much other shit, I just thought: if this is working for a lot of people when the cream doesnt even have natural oils, then mine should be pretty good with all of the shea and stuff :D

So, people, check the ingredients!!!!!!!!!!!!

MemberMember
(@tanna23)

Posted : 07/16/2014 10:34 pm

If it's working well for you then why bother what they say? Everyone's skin is different and of this moisturiser will moisturise your skin without causing irritation or breakouts then I say stick to it.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/17/2014 10:26 am

Occlussion and pore clogging are two very different problems. I believe the silicone molecules are too big to clog pores.

As for the oil, apply only a few drops to wet skin or with wet hands. That makes it easy to apply very thinly.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 07/18/2014 1:20 pm

Oh no problem My English is not the best.

I checked out the favourite moisturizer here in the forum. Aveeno ultra calming..... and guess what? It has PARABENS, Dimethicone and so much other shit, I just thought: if this is working for a lot of people when the cream doesnt even have natural oils, then mine should be pretty good with all of the shea and stuff

So, people, check the ingredients!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe when people refer to something being occlusive having to do with the skin, they mean "clogged pores". However, as someone else said, dimethicone is a molecule that is too large to cause "microcomedones", which are microscopic plugs in your pores that are precursors to acne.

On its own, dimethicone cannot cause microcomedones. Now, from what I have read, the problem with dimethicone is when you apply it to unwashed skin. Then, the dimethicone can in effect "seal in" pore-clogging ingredients or pollutants and increase formation of microcomedones. The key here is how you apply dimethicone containing products, not so much whether or not you do. As long as you apply your moisturizer to freshly clean (preferably damp) skin - you should be fine.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/18/2014 3:01 pm

But occlusion doesn't mean clogged pores. It does mean obstruction, though. It blocks the skin from 'breathing' via perspiration. When you apply something occlusive on your skin, the chemicals it contains have only one place to go and that's into your body. for example, if you work with industrial chemicals and wear gloves and other protective gear, if you get a tear and something inside that glove, the occlusion will mean you absorb more of that substance into the skin. Or if you spray insect repellant on bare skin, then cover with with clothing. Or apply vasoline.

Petrolatum and dimethicone are occlusive. As are other oils. The issue is how occlusive? I figure you don't want anything more occlusive than the substances healthy skin produces. And as i don't have access to such details, I figure the best thing is to help skin function on it's own.

this is a pretty good post: http://www.ecomall.com/greenshopping/auroranova.htm

MemberMember
(@fyry)

Posted : 07/19/2014 7:41 am

Yeah, alternativista, you have right! I tried black seed oil the last 2 nights and mornings and am pretty impressed. The hemp seed left itchy feeling and the moment I apply black seed, it soaks fast and the next day I have always better skin. I know it sounds rediculous, but I think it evened out some scars just for the time :o The moisturizer I gave 19Euro for will be used in critical situations of financial crisis when I cant get the black seed magic.