Notifications
Clear all

Aboard The Accutrain (17, M, 80Mg, Pics)

MemberMember
(@senorscarber)

Posted : 07/15/2014 2:19 am

Alright, so I'll start by explaining my history with acne (hate the word, by the way). I've been alright since middle school, for a few months I had breakouts which were quickly cured with some prescribed skin creams and antibiotics - Doxycycline is the main one that rings a bell. I was absolutely fine until around 6 months ago, the middle of my junior year. It's like my face is growing a Pokemon on it and it won't stop evolving, the most recent evolution being several weeks ago. It's mainly on my cheeks, jawline, and a few on my forehead.

Now, I've used salicylic acid, which did nothing. Benzoyl peroxide dried me out like crazy. I even used coconut oil, which I had to stop because my mom found oil stains on my pillow. I've popped the buggers with my fingers for a long time, but I've grown sick of doing that. Now (for about a week or so) I put a hot washcloth on my face and put on pressure, then add cold water to the washcloth and apply pressure again... Repeat that process a few times and my big yellow pimples are gone. It's been a lot nicer than doing individuals, I recommend it! And it doesn't hurt, unless the water's too hot. I use Cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer and occasionally Neosporin for mean pimples.

Now I'd say it's severe acne, as my dermatologist prescribed me with 80 mg of the 'tane daily right from the get go. I started 3-4 days ago, and haven't noticed much of a difference besides an insane amount of tiredness... Hopefully that's normal! Or maybe I'm just getting sick.

CAPTAIN'S LOG, STARDATE 31156.7 AKA WEEK 1

*80 mg once daily

*no real change on acne, as expected

*no huge side effects-sleepiness, no dryness yet, some headaches. Could be something else.

However, I've got high hopes for this treatment. Nothing has been able to fix me, and it's gotten frustrating. My face hurts a lot of the time, sometimes even when I smile. But the horizon looks promising, I've heard good things about Accutane and I hope it works well for me. Maybe I'll be cleared up before Christmas, wouldn't that be awesome?

I also hope you enjoy reading these, I'm hoping I can get a nice little blog going on here that can help others like me! If you've got any tips for me or want to say anything related to this, just post away. I'll try to keep an eye on this.

Captain out. *beams away*

2 weeks in: post-409345-0-06209500-1407621335_thumb.

1 month in: post-409345-0-24623000-1407621404_thumb.

MemberMember
(@lewis0121)

Posted : 07/15/2014 7:44 am

I feel your pain man, I used to have great skin but never appreciated it - u dunno what u got till its gone I guess, I would give anything to go back a year and not have to deal with all this... lifes tough enough without acne.

anyway some advice I would give;

• cut out dairy
  • cut out sugar
  • only eat whole meal foods (in small amounts but more often)
  • add turmeric to all your foods along with black peper - anti inflammatory
  • drink green tea (decaf)
  • I am currently using finacea which is working well for me so u might wanna look that up...
  • and use a cetaphil brand moisturiser day and night.

good luck friend.

MemberMember
(@mandycandy)

Posted : 07/15/2014 9:40 am

Moisturize and apply something to your lips. The early start you get the better. I didn't do any of that until I started peeling on my face and lips and it was rough. Stay optimistic, results will come it just takes a little time. Side effects will come but most go away as fast as they came. Good luck to ya!

MemberMember
(@senorscarber)

Posted : 07/15/2014 2:51 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, guys! I'm headed to the pharmacy today, so I'll be getting a lot of the stuff mentioned. Also gonna get some Mederma, I'm hoping I don't scar too bad.

MemberMember
(@senorscarber)

Posted : 07/16/2014 2:21 pm

Quick update: I've noticed a lot of smoothness on my cheeks which is a first, it's only been a few days since I started the treatment but dang... Maybe it's working some sort of miracle on me. I've still got a few whiteheads popping up here and there, but almost all large bumps have gone down a ton. There's still a lot of redness, but things don't hurt as much. It's nice!

Now I'm headed on a backpacking trip for a few days, let's hope I don't get too achy while I'm out. :D

lewis0121 liked
MemberMember
(@senorscarber)

Posted : 07/21/2014 6:06 pm

Back from my backpacking trip, and I survived (barely, the aching took a toll). I've just arrived at the 10 day mark and I've experienced a heck of a lot of symptoms:

-dryness, flaky skin

-bloody noses

-dandruff?! I have shampoo that has fixed it though

-achiness

-still wondering if tiredness is a symptom, I've been exhausted since I started on Tane

However, there's been a noticeable change. I broke out pretty bad while I was on my trip but there were no mirrors to see anything - that was nice. Good friends helped me out. Anyways, when I returned home my siblings noticed less redness and more smoothness.

I got Cetaphil lotion and cleanser and Aquaphor for the dryness, they've kinda helped.

Just curious, how long does an Initial Breakout last? I hope I've hit it, but I'm also afraid I haven't.

MemberMember
(@ujboy15)

Posted : 07/21/2014 7:33 pm

Back from my backpacking trip, and I survived (barely, the aching took a toll). I've just arrived at the 10 day mark and I've experienced a heck of a lot of symptoms:

-dryness, flaky skin

-bloody noses

-dandruff?! I have shampoo that has fixed it though

-achiness

-still wondering if tiredness is a symptom, I've been exhausted since I started on Tane

However, there's been a noticeable change. I broke out pretty bad while I was on my trip but there were no mirrors to see anything - that was nice. Good friends helped me out. Anyways, when I returned home my siblings noticed less redness and more smoothness.

I got Cetaphil lotion and cleanser and Aquaphor for the dryness, they've kinda helped.

Just curious, how long does an Initial Breakout last? I hope I've hit it, but I'm also afraid I haven't.

Hey bud, on accutane for about 1.5 months now. 15 years old. On 50 mg.

Anyways I've been seeing some positive results so far and sometimes break out badly. It's kinda like a pattern. One week I'm good next week it's bad. My doctor said its normal and eventually the good should last And ther wont be any "bad". When I do breakout it does last for about 1.5 weeks i guess. Just praying tane completely clears me. This week is my 3rd official year with acne.

I get nosebleeds too but not as much anymore - doctor said put Vaseline in your nose. Lol weird but it works.

And I've been feeling tired more than normal too. I remember my first 10 days i has extremely extremely dry flaky skin. But eventually your skin will get used to it and the dryness should improve but won't go away as the medicine is doing its work..!

MemberMember
(@senorscarber)

Posted : 07/23/2014 6:50 pm

Thanks UJ! I've started using the Vaseline in my nose and it has helped a lot. :)

I'm about to hit the 2 week mark, and I'm so frustrated. Not because the Accutane hasn't shown a big difference (It would be silly to expect change so soon) but because my face freaking sucks. My cheeks felt pretty smooth two nights ago. I went to bed for 8 hours. I looked in the mirror, and literally 10 or so pustules popped up on each cheek.

I popped a few in anger, but that didn't do much. Today they've sort of mashed together into fewer bigger ones. I hate it. How am I supposed to prevent that? I hate not feeling comfortable going places. I hate having friends ask me what's happening to my face. I hate hate hate hate hate it.

Anyways, I've had just two nosebleeds since my camping trip. My skin gets dry but it's manageable. I bent over for a few minutes to do something, and for the life of me it hurt so bad to stand up straight. I am really lethargic all the time now. I also have a really itchy skalp and dandruff (I've never had dandruff before) and I hope it goes away soon.

Feeling down, maybe I'll start seeing some changes soon.

UJboy15 liked
MemberMember
(@breakitoutnow)

Posted : 07/23/2014 11:11 pm

Hang in there! The first part of accutane sucks. It's a roller coaster ride and the lows are very low. But it will work. It's crummy while you're experiencing it but just remember that in the grand scheme of things, a month or two of bad breakouts will be worth the years of clear skin in your future. It sounds like you're doing a good job of going out with friends and staying active. Keep doing that. The faster you can get your mind off your skin and this drug, the faster the time will go. Also, try to avoid picking/popping. Skin heals much slower on Accutane and scarring happens much easier. It's a lesson I learned the hard way. My derm says anything you pick at could take 3-5 times longer to heal on Accutane.

Stay strong. You are in the worst part right now, but it's going to get better. You're in good company here with people who know the struggle.

MemberMember
(@senorscarber)

Posted : 07/24/2014 4:47 pm

This better be the Initial Breakout. Hell has erupted on my cheeks. Giant pustules everywhere. I'm trying not to pop them so they can scale off (it's weird but it has happened) which is challenging... Taking a lot of Ibuprofen for the pain.

How long do Initial Breakouts last?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/24/2014 10:39 pm

Scared :(

MemberMember
(@senorscarber)

Posted : 07/24/2014 11:53 pm

Scared :(

Huh? D:

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/25/2014 12:26 am

Lol ..of experiencing the IB myself

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/25/2014 7:18 am

The IB definitely sucks. My pus filled pimpled tripled and it was the worse. But as someone stated, you just have to keep the end goal in mind.

MemberMember
(@senorscarber)

Posted : 07/25/2014 3:02 pm

One cheeks doing much better off! Not good, in the least, but not as bad as it was. :)

Well, I think maybe I should tell you guys a little bit about myself!

I'm 17 and about to head into my senior year of high school, I'm a big fan of indie/alternative rock. I like country music occasionally, some rap, NO heavy metal, I went through a dubstep phase but I'm glad that's over. Recently I've started listening to mariachi music on the radio because I hate most of the other stations.

I'm pretty musically talented, unless my friends, family, and Twitter followers are lying to me. I play guitar, piano, and I sing. Some of my favorite bands and musicians include, but are not limited to: THE KILLERS, Vampire Weekend, Phoenix, Carolina Liar, Jay-Z (weird, huh?), Garth Brooks, The Hush Sound, Keane, The Paper Kites (an Australian folk band I saw), Johnny Cash, Paolo Nutini... There are a lot. Oh yeah, I love The Lord of the Rings soundtrack.

I love Lord of the Rings. A lot. If I could be a Hobbit I'd really consider it, but the jump from 6'3" to 3'6" might be the only thing holding me back. I've read all the books, I've seen the movies countless times, I've watched Tolkien documentaries, yada yada yada... I love Lord of the Rings.

I play volleyball as well, as an opposite (right side) hitter. I'm tall so I can block pretty well, and I'm not a bad hitter. :) My team went to state this year, heck yeah.

I'm also a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints - commonly called Mormons. In about a year and a half I'll be serving a mission somewhere in the world (probably South America) for 2 years of my life! I'm so excited! After that I plan to attend Brigham Young University, but I'm not too sure about that yet.

Anyways, that's about it so far... If you guys want to discuss music, FEEL FREE. PLEASE DO IT.

UJboy15 liked
MemberMember
(@ujboy15)

Posted : 07/27/2014 12:40 pm

Thanks UJ! I've started using the Vaseline in my nose and it has helped a lot. :)

I'm about to hit the 2 week mark, and I'm so frustrated. Not because the Accutane hasn't shown a big difference (It would be silly to expect change so soon) but because my face freaking sucks. My cheeks felt pretty smooth two nights ago. I went to bed for 8 hours. I looked in the mirror, and literally 10 or so pustules popped up on each cheek.

I popped a few in anger, but that didn't do much. Today they've sort of mashed together into fewer bigger ones. I hate it. How am I supposed to prevent that? I hate not feeling comfortable going places. I hate having friends ask me what's happening to my face. I hate hate hate hate hate it.

Anyways, I've had just two nosebleeds since my camping trip. My skin gets dry but it's manageable. I bent over for a few minutes to do something, and for the life of me it hurt so bad to stand up straight. I am really lethargic all the time now. I also have a really itchy skalp and dandruff (I've never had dandruff before) and I hope it goes away soon.

Feeling down, maybe I'll start seeing some changes soon.

Hey I feel the exact same way sometimes man. It really sucks. Honestly just be patient. My nosebleeds are so frequent in the first month but they'll begin to stop in and be less frequent in the 2nd.

When I bend over now too, it kills haha. So yep it's normal, don't worry. Also, I totally agree with you- it's the worst when people ask about your acne.. Just makes me feel so much worse. You'll continue to keep getting new pimples. By the time you're in month 3, it'll begin to get positive... Post some progress pics! The acne on the cheeks are the worst errr. But my forehead was also really bad. It's clear now. My cheeks are on the way to clearing too. Oh and drink lots of water. Even when you're not thirsty. Like drink a lot of water. Full glasses. I've been doing that this past week and I've been seeing much less dryness, faster healing, and more clearing. Like i promised about the Vaseline in the nose, I'll promise this too. Lots of water will help a lot and speed process. Speaking of water- wash your face only with cold water and shower with cold water. It really helps. And try and let your face air dry a bit but use a towel very lightly and don't rub on it!

Also I think we do have the same acne. Oh man, the pimples that mash up together on the cheek, dang they look horrible and I hate it. It's been about 3 weeks and is still yet to clear but Is sorta now. Like I pop some too, but now I only have a few active pimples. The rest are marks/blemishes/pigmentation from acne that has cleared in the past month. When you pop, always clean it properly or it'll get worse. But try and not to touch your face at all. Touching your face gives it more germs and more pimples!

Used all those tips from friends/family and it all has really helped in the process. Remember month 1 and 2 are the worst. By 3, it'll hopefully get better- I'm on month 3 day 3!

Keep us updated dude! Hoping all the best for you! I feel your pain :P don't worry. #TheStruggleIsReal as a 15yr old guy -.-

MemberMember
(@senorscarber)

Posted : 07/29/2014 11:11 pm

These past few days have been bad, but better than before. Not many new pimples are showing up, so yay! It doesn't hurt too bad to smile. :)

I also got described by someone who didn't know my name as "that guy with bad acne", so that kinda sucks. I'm excited for the day where acne won't be one of my defining traits. Hopefully I won't scar too bad.

About to hit week 3 of the treatment, the dryness is manageable. Using a special shampoo of my dad's to keep dandruff away and it works for the most part. Aquaphor for my lips and Cetaphil Cleanser+Lotion for my face and ears seem to work great! My eyes are a little itchy but otherwise I'm doing great!

Anyone know what to use for scarring during Accutane to prevent it? Or is it something I'll have to do after my treatment?

UJboy15 liked
MemberMember
(@senorscarber)

Posted : 07/30/2014 12:42 am

Pictures, this is around 3 weeks! Better than usual, not many whiteheads.

Also, Intervention on Arcade Fire's Neon Bible album is golden. Go listen.

post-409345-0-98120500-1406698840_thumb.

post-409345-0-39647000-1406698871_thumb.

post-409345-0-82313100-1406698880_thumb.

MemberMember
(@breakitoutnow)

Posted : 07/30/2014 11:35 am

Hey there! As for scarring, I haven't been very good at preventing it (it hasn't gotten too bad, but I rarely scarred until about a month into my Accutane course). I've found that Aquaphor helps heal anything you pick at (which you absolutely SHOULDN'T do). If it is a bloody, scabby mess (I had a few of those), Aquaphor helps keep it moisturized. It heals quicker and makes the scar less noticeable, though I have two fairly significant ones that Aquaphor couldn't help. In short, I'm not sure what to do about scarring, but try to avoid picking, use Aquaphor on any open wounds, and plan on maybe doing some kind of treatment a few months post-accutane if it gets real bad.

Good luck on the rest of your course! Results shouldn't be too far down the road!

MemberMember
(@senorscarber)

Posted : 08/02/2014 4:11 am

Week 3! Doing well overall, whiteheads that pop up are much smaller than they were last week. My face doesn't hurt too bad. Redness is still strong, and sections of my cheek are still rough... My forehead has been better. Chin is clearing up. At the beginning of the treatment my chest broke out with tiny red dots and now they are gone! I rarely get back pimples but I think 'Tane is pushing some out. :-(

Under part of my cheek, where acne used to be, are countless purple dots... Is this normal?

Time is moving quick, but I still get impatient. Excited to continue on the course, however!

In other news - I got my license today and I went on an awesome date with a wonderful girl. :)

Music for this update, listen to: Come a Little Closer by Cage the Elephant!

UJboy15 liked
MemberMember
(@senorscarber)

Posted : 08/03/2014 1:53 am

Not sure if it's the Accutane or something else, but I feel so empty emotionally right now. Just gotta climb out of this slump, I guess.

UJboy15 liked
MemberMember
(@senorscarber)

Posted : 08/03/2014 11:56 pm

Still feeling quite sad, but there's a reason behind it that isn't Accutane! Girls, man. :-(

Also, school's starting tomorrow so I looked through pictures from the summer. Bad freaking idea. How the frick does THIS happen in a two month period?

post-409345-0-18563200-1407128186_thumb.

post-409345-0-34555900-1407128195_thumb.

UJboy15 liked
MemberMember
(@senorscarber)

Posted : 08/05/2014 4:33 pm

Neosporin did something weird (but insanely wonderful). I slathered it on bad spots two days ago and watched a movie, when the movie was over I checked my face... Almost all gunk had been pushed out of the places I put it at, and I wiped my face gently with a washcloth... All dried chunks of pus that were there before were gone. :o Is this normal?!

I've had a few small whiteheads pop up (5-6 tiny ones a day), a monster on my nose that popped up 2 days ago but is fine now. I'm still very dry but working to combat it! A ton of my swelling has gone down, and my friends/family have reassured that by pointing it out!

Alas, I've been asked what happened to my face 4 times today at school but that phase will be over before I know it! Things are definitely looking up. :)

UJboy15 liked
MemberMember
(@ujboy15)

Posted : 08/05/2014 6:51 pm

I feel ya when it comes to girls! I felt the same (and still do). However my "sadnesses" is almost gone. Luckily I start school in a month and am beginning to clear now.

remember, it gets worse before it gets to its best.

My first and some of my second month on accutane were during the end of the school year. Every said "my face got way worse". Can't wait to go back in a month and hear "your face is almost clear"! And I promise you'll be able to experience the same soon!

MemberMember
(@senorscarber)

Posted : 08/05/2014 7:48 pm

I feel ya when it comes to girls! I felt the same (and still do). However my "sadnesses" is almost gone. Luckily I start school in a month and am beginning to clear now.

remember, it gets worse before it gets to its best.

My first and some of my second month on accutane were during the end of the school year. Every said "my face got way worse". Can't wait to go back in a month and hear "your face is almost clear"! And I promise you'll be able to experience the same soon!

I looked in the mirror today and there was noticeably less swelling in my cheek, it was awesome! Haha things seem to be looking up already!

I wonder if a higher dose brings out the IB quicker/stronger? Or maybe this has just been a good past week!

UJboy15 liked