Notifications
Clear all

(Hormonal Acne) Diet + Supplements- My Journey Recorded

MemberMember
(@chapinacutie)

Posted : 07/14/2014 10:38 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm not quite sure how many people are going to actually ready this but I write it in hopes that I can help someone, as well as log my journey and see what works for me.

I have various posts from 2008 including my journey on accutane from start to finish. I became very obsessed with my skin at that time and decided that it was best to stop worrying about it so much which is why I left acne.org in the first place.

And here I am 6 years later lol...

Quick description of me: I am a 21 year old female. Been struggling with acne for as long as I can remember. Probably since I was about 12-13 years old. Bad skin runs in my family on my mom's side. Out of 9 aunts, about 6 of them have terrible skin. Many of my cousins have extremely scarred skin and struggle with acne that is way worse than mine. Is acne even hereditary? I wouldn't believe you if you told me no simply based on my experience. Anyway, I first started out with acne that was only on my forehead. Went on every pill and topical under the sun. Eventually I went on accutane and saw amazing results with horrible side effects (dryness, sensitivity, depression, etc). My skin was the clearest its ever been yet it came back.

Now I would consider my skin issues to be completely due to hormones. Some would considerate it to be mild to moderate. I only break out a week before my cycle. I have 80-90% clear skin any other time but by the time it calms down and clears up, I'm back at it again. I'm extremely frustrated because I am a full time working adult and I feel so childish to have acne still.

I will be going to my doctor to consider BC pills or other options, but from my research, some people have worse acne when they get off of it. I hate the idea of damaging my body with more antibiotics, pills, hormones, etc that I would really like to clear my skin as naturally as possible.

I tried the regimen and it worked okay for me but I feel like it does not stop the breakouts from happening. Only clears them when they have already surfaced.

With that being said, I have researched some supplements meant to help your skin and balance hormones. I will be also adjusting my diet and try to eat as clean as possible to see if that will help get my body back to normal.

Supplements:

Shakeology (not really because of my skin but worth noting)

Standardized Saw Palmetto- 540mg 2x a day

Maca- 500mg 1x a day

Stinging Nettles 2x a day

Skin Regimen:

AM: Neutrogena naturals face wash

CeraVe AM face lotion

PM: Neutrogena naturals face wash OR oxy 10% benzoyl peroxide face wash (depending on severity)

Enthromycin (topical prescribed by derm)

This may be adjusted accordingly.

I have been taking these supplements religiously for a week now, I've also been eating 80-90% clean this week as well. I can't judge if this will help my skin until my next cycle which is in 3 weeks but I will keep you all posted. I also would love to hear any recommendations you have :)

Anyone interested in pics?

Thanks for reading!

Will update daily/weekly depending on skin changes

Love,

S

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 07/14/2014 10:44 pm

Why are you using maca?

Maca is commonly used by male fitness buffs and bodybuilders who want to block estrogen and increase testosterone (see http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/supplements/natural-t-booster ).

This is the opposite of what you want with hormonal acne.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/15/2014 7:59 am

Why are you using maca?

Maca is commonly used by male fitness buffs and bodybuilders who want to block estrogen and increase testosterone (see http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/supplements/natural-t-booster ).

I think boosts progesterone, improve thyroid function and insulin resistance.

MemberMember
(@chapinacutie)

Posted : 07/18/2014 12:22 am

Why are you using maca?

I think boosts progesterone, improve thyroid function and insulin resistance.

Yuup I'm still a noob with this whole supplement natural acne cure way but from what I've read it helps with hormonal acne. Thanks for the link! I will continue to do my research 🙂

I just want to check in...

Nothing new really to report as of today. I don't have any new actives and my diet has been 90% consisting of boiled veggies, vegetable soups, salads (no dressing except for lemon or balsamic vinegar). I did splurge a bit today and have two flower tortills with grilled chicken, salsa and guacamole. I don't normally break out from this type of food but its worth noting. Other then that, I've been pretty clean with my diet. I notice that I am starting to lose weight too which is an extreme plus since cutting junk out of my diet.

My skin has been a bit dry because of the topical but I have been exfoliating with an olive oil & brown sugar scrub to get rid of the dry, flaky skin. My skin is pretty clear at the moment, but everyone with hormonal acne knows, this is the calm before the storm that happens every month. The next two weeks will be the real test but I'm feeling pretty good so far. I have not experienced any strange side effects since taking these supplements. I take it with food and at first experienced an upset stomach but that is not the case any longer.

Thanks for reading !

MemberMember
(@fyry)

Posted : 07/18/2014 12:53 am

Isnt maca also good for any kind of hormonal disbalance?

MemberMember
(@chapinacutie)

Posted : 07/21/2014 5:46 pm

So... this week is the devil week where I'm expected to break out. I have not had any new actives on my face, just a few from my previous breakout that are refusing to go away. However, no new pimples is a plus and I am rather impressed and mostly curious to see how my skin is going to respond this month. Too soon to tell? I'm debating whether i want to take a pic of my skin before this week is over to really track its progress.

I have been getting a little more loose with my diet as I have been craving a ton of carbs. I'm not eating cheeseburgers and fries but yesterday I had a plate of thai pan fried noodles. Today i has two slices of white toast but other than those little slip ups here and there, I have been overall clean which is a dramatic

improvement to my diet. I am not sure that my diet affects my skin but we'll see.

I'm thinking of washing my skin at night with my oxy 10% BP face wash as opposed to my neutrogena face wash just to give it a bit of a more potent kick since I know this is my bad week. Thoughts? I know i'll be more dry but It's nothing that can't be controlled.

I just want this nightmare to be over!!! feels like my skin holds me back from so

much. I am seeing the light at the end of the tunell for now though :)

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/21/2014 5:55 pm

Isnt maca also good for any kind of hormonal disbalance?

I believe it. like vitex, improves pituitary function, so in theory, yes.

MemberMember
(@chapinacutie)

Posted : 07/24/2014 8:59 pm

Well... it happened.

I broke out like a mofo over the last day or two. I'm really bummed out and depressed today. It could be due to PMS or this breakout but I am completely just ugh. I'm not sure what to expect with natural treatment of acne... Is my skin going to breakout like usual until a few months from now? I dont know if I was expecting too much but maybe its because my skin was REALLY good the week or so leading up to this week that I felt like I saw the light at the end of the tunnel. My skin is horribly dry from the topical I've been applying and nothing I do is getting rid of it. I'm just in a really dark place today. I don't even want to go to work tomorrow and face everyone with my skin like this. I had a date this weekend and I had to cancel and I can't reschedule it until my breakout calms down. Really tired of this cycle. Idk, I'm just really down.

Any words of encouragement? Is there hope?

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/25/2014 7:26 am

Well... it happened.

I broke out like a mofo over the last day or two. I'm really bummed out and depressed today. It could be due to PMS or this breakout but I am completely just ugh. I'm not sure what to expect with natural treatment of acne... Is my skin going to breakout like usual until a few months from now? I dont know if I was expecting too much but maybe its because my skin was REALLY good the week or so leading up to this week that I felt like I saw the light at the end of the tunnel. My skin is horribly dry from the topical I've been applying and nothing I do is getting rid of it. I'm just in a really dark place today. I don't even want to go to work tomorrow and face everyone with my skin like this. I had a date this weekend and I had to cancel and I can't reschedule it until my breakout calms down. Really tired of this cycle. Idk, I'm just really down.

With the natural route, as with modern medicine, be prepared to have a very bumpy road. It can take months and years to pinpoint what ails you and what works for one person, may not work for you. I found that having the patience of a saint is needed as setbacks are very common. For the longest time i thought that natural was the key to helping my acne but after 3 years of being on this rollercoaster, i've learned that for some of us, a combination of natural and modern medicine can help (still trying to find my balance)

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/25/2014 8:45 am

I wouldn't use the topical for most of the month. It obviously doesn't prevent anything. Does it even seem to shrink or reduce inflammation once you breakout?

You could try taking DIM in the week prior to your period to flush excess estrogen. And find better carbs to binge on.

MemberMember
(@chapinacutie)

Posted : 07/25/2014 9:42 pm

I wouldn't use the topical for most of the month. It obviously doesn't prevent anything. Does it even seem to shrink or reduce inflammation once you breakout?

You could try taking DIM in the week prior to your period to flush excess estrogen. And find better carbs to binge on.

From what I noticed with the topical, it seems to reduce the breakouts and dry them out much quicker, but you're right, it does not prevent anything. So I'll keep applying it until it heals the actives on my face and then for the two weeks that I'm clear i will give my skin a rest.

I will look into DIM and probably end up buying it this week. I'm willing to try anything.

i definitely need to find better carbs to binge on.

Thanks for the reply 🙂

Well... it happened.

With the natural route, as with modern medicine, be prepared to have a very bumpy road. It can take months and years to pinpoint what ails you and what works for one person, may not work for you. I found that having the patience of a saint is needed as setbacks are very common. For the longest time i thought that natural was the key to helping my acne but after 3 years of being on this rollercoaster, i've learned that for some of us, a combination of natural and modern medicine can help (still trying to find my balance)

Yea it does take a long time. Just wish it would be over. 10+ years is exhausting lol. Thanks for your words <3

Well today is a better day in terms of my mood but I'm still feeling really bummed out. I'm gonna hide in my house this weekend which is not something I normally do as I'm very social and I hardly let this stop me. However, I do have my times where I get too shy to go out. Work was hard to make it through but it wasn't too bad...

I probably have about 4 or 5 actives on my right cheek and 1 or 2 on the other one so it's not the worst breakout I've had. Usually my skin is way more inflamed and red and way more pimples so I guess if I wanted to look on the bright side of things, it's been worse.

I guess its worth noting that my doctor has told me that she thinks I have PMDD which would explain the severe changes in my mood and skin during this time of crazy hormones. Honestly, when she first mentioned it, I didn't want to hear more of it because I did not want to go into taking anymore drugs than I already have in my life. I was pretty much in denial. However, I think I'm ready to go back and discuss my options and run some more tests and see if I have any allergies or anything they can see in my blood work because its ridiculous that this happens every month.

Thanks for letting me vent.

I hope everyone has a safe and great weekend!

Much love,

S

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 07/25/2014 10:03 pm

Good luck! If accutane didn't work, it means you have to get to the root of your health issues....acne is just a symptom, not the cause.

MemberMember
(@chapinacutie)

Posted : 07/27/2014 11:26 pm

My skin is starting to calm down a bit. I've been moisturizing my skin more than usual and am only applying the topical to the acne that is currently on my face. It does help shrink the pimples and I have not broken out since the initial few pimples that I got earlier this week. I was really bummed out and was very loose with my diet but I am going back to eating clean tomorrow. I have an appt on Wednesday to discuss the possibility of birth control. I am not convinced with it but I am willing to hear my doctor out as I have not seen a derm or doctor about my skin for a few years now.

Damn you hormonal acne! lol

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/28/2014 7:43 am

My skin is starting to calm down a bit. I've been moisturizing my skin more than usual and am only applying the topical to the acne that is currently on my face. It does help shrink the pimples and I have not broken out since the initial few pimples that I got earlier this week. I was really bummed out and was very loose with my diet but I am going back to eating clean tomorrow. I have an appt on Wednesday to discuss the possibility of birth control. I am not convinced with it but I am willing to hear my doctor out as I have not seen a derm or doctor about my skin for a few years now.

Damn you hormonal acne! lol

Is this doctor likely to consider DIM? Also, you might want to take a list of BCP options that don't contain androgenic progestins. Go to the hormone board. Someone, Greengables I think, recently made a nice list. You don't want BC prescribed by trial and error as many doctors are likely to do.

MemberMember
(@chapinacutie)

Posted : 08/04/2014 10:51 am

Just checking in today... I did not go to the doctor last week as I had to cancel because of work but one thing that I did notice is that my skin really calmed down within a week of breaking out. I would normally still have a ton of red, irritated active blemishes on my face by this point. I had a wedding on July 5 and my face was still very red, irritated and a ton of pimples so there is definitely a major difference in that. I'm still taking my supplements daily and am still going to look into purchasing DIM when I get paid this week.

I'm still avoiding greasy, fried foods and am mostly eating a low glycemic diet. lots of veggies and chicken breast, etc.

I have tweaked my skin regimen a bit because I felt that my skin was very unnecessarily dry and upon recommendation from someone on here, i stopped my topical.

What I have been doing lately is washing my face in the mornings with the same neutrogena naturals, applying cerave lotion afterwards. At night I wash my face with oxy face wash followed by the same lotion and also applying AHA from the regimen. Since using AHA i have noticed a significant improvement but like always, the real test will be in 2-3 weeks. The dryness has reduced dramatically and I exfoliate my face 1-2 times a week with an olive oil and sugar scrub.

So far, my skin is reacting very well to this regimen. Will update later

Have a great day everyone!

S