Notifications
Clear all

Did Acne Turn You Into Something Cold And Bitter?

MemberMember
(@stinson)

Posted : 07/13/2014 10:13 am

\idk but i really feel like a lot has changed since my hope was all gone and i am wanting to blame somebody for being the one on this situation. i know i ain't a bad person i just don't get why me. i'm young and as far as i am concerned i have not killed anybody yet. i was introvert before this happened and now i am an anti-social. i feel so angry and lonely.. ughhh idk sorry i even suck at venting out. i just wanna scream and prolly die, idk.

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 07/13/2014 1:04 pm

\idk but i really feel like a lot has changed since my hope was all gone and i am wanting to blame somebody for being the one on this situation. i know i ain't a bad person i just don't get why me. i'm young and as far as i am concerned i have not killed anybody yet. i was introvert before this happened and now i am an anti-social. i feel so angry and lonely.. ughhh idk sorry i even suck at venting out. i just wanna scream and prolly die, idk.

Why do you let the state of your skin control your life?

MemberMember
(@acnewonderland)

Posted : 07/13/2014 1:22 pm

im a murderer in a making P;

MemberMember
(@sue7)

Posted : 07/13/2014 1:31 pm

yes, this is everyone's first reaction.."why me? what wrong did i do? the world is so unjust?" The world is unjust, some people get shit they don't deserve...but it gets better, you not only have to tolerate all this injustice but you are also not allowed to vent...so you have to pull yourself together, the point is not that "its the right thing to do", but its the only thing one can do..so just pull yourself together.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/13/2014 2:30 pm

People compare my personality to dr. house from the tv series all the time, so I'd say yes...

MemberMember
(@jjn)

Posted : 07/13/2014 9:17 pm

Bitter and lots of anxiety. It takes a lot of self control not to snap.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/14/2014 5:34 am

Acne hasn't made me bitter or cold, just self conscious, withdrawn and emotionally drained.

MemberMember
(@ocnblitzgmail-com)

Posted : 07/14/2014 11:53 am

It has made me more empathetic if anything, I don't judge others based on their uncontrollable flaws and often feel their pain.

MemberMember
(@jmtm18017)

Posted : 07/16/2014 7:20 pm

When I go through a "bad skin spell", I get extremely withdrawn... I get irritated when I feel that someone is looking at me too long, although I try not to show my irritation.

Speaking of irritation, I get very abrasive and impatient when my skin acts out. The fact that it takes weeks or months to get into a dermatologist (even as a current patient) doesn't make this any easier.

OCD kicks in big time. I tend to go into "tunnel vision" mode, where I obsess over the possible cause and/or treatment.

Honestly, my emotional reaction it's not 100% due to the way I look. Just the "feel" of having broken out/ infected skin is akin to any kind of illness to me, like a sore throat. I feel drained and tired when I have the flu. I feel drained and tired when I have a really bad episode of acne. At least the cold or flu will only last a week. Acne is like having an ongoing untreatable infection, day after day, week after week, year after year. When my skin is fine, I am sill not completely comfortable, since I know that with acne there is always a relapse after remission.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/18/2014 7:31 am

Actually I'm going to revise my statement: it made me cold and bitter towards perfect-skinned people. I just saw a photo on facebook of a girl with a huge birthmark (at least I think) across her face and her neck and I felt deeply sorry for her, not because it took away her beauty, because it didn't, but because she seemed so sad over it; I guess I became a lot more emphatic when it comes to problems that you can't really control.

MemberMember
(@olliejr)

Posted : 07/18/2014 7:59 am

Yep, I'm like a pint of John Smiths.

MemberMember
(@fernandox)

Posted : 07/18/2014 8:36 am

still the same person, just really lonely

MemberMember
(@robert6524)

Posted : 07/18/2014 9:41 pm

Personally , it has made me kind of anti-social . When ever my friends or cousins invite to a party or something I really don't want to go because I'm self conscious about my scars and a hypertrophic scar bump I have in the left side of my neck. Hey, it's even embarrassing getting a haircut , but sometimes I suck it up and just go. I'm not going to let acne or scars dictate the rest of my life especially since I'm in my 20's.

Also , it irritates me that I can't stay out as long as I want to because I'm worrying about putting on my acne and scar medication .

Just ask her out man. If she honestly says no because of your skin she is shallow and not worth pursuing a relationship with her. You will eventually find someone who will accept you for you regardless if you have bumps in your face or not. I know from personal experience since my current gf loves me for who I am and not what's all over my skin. So give it a go ! She might be the one who knows (:

Good Luck !

MemberMember
(@rickshaw78)

Posted : 07/21/2014 8:06 am

Acne has ruined a big part of my life and made me more of an introvert no doubt about it in my mind about that.

Been battling with it for 20 years now and because I've taken so much treatment over the years my skin has become very fragile and scars easy which does not help my mood at times either.

When I've been at parties and things I've felt very uncomfortable thinking people are looking at acne and scars.

I'm bitter about it cause I know I could have done much more in life without this hanging over me. My confidence has been sucked away over the years because of Acne, I even hate the word now that's how much it's taken a toll on me.

MemberMember
(@zkay)

Posted : 07/21/2014 9:12 am

Personally, I think acne has helped me to develop as a person. There was a point when I was cold and bitter because my skin was affecting me so much. However, that is now in the past as I feel I am more positive now. No matter how severe your condition becomes, never give up. Keep looking for the most effective treatment for you.

I do not think I would appreciate what God has given me as much as I do at present. I do not think I am as shallow or judgmental as I used to be. I am a different person. I feel mentally stronger. I want to gain knowledge. I want to develop on the inside as well as the outside. I know if I did not have acne I would not take so much care over what I eat, how much water I drink, how much I exercise etc. I do not think I would take care of my skin. I do not think I could understand the pain and suffering of others. There are many more positives. There are always times when it is difficult to live with but for me the positives of having acne outweigh those difficulties. Acne is tough but there are people out there with no food, no shelter, no legs or arms, no sight, no hearing.

Yes it has affected my social life and do have an inferiority complex but I know that I am at fault too as I am allowing it to do so. Over time I have realized that although I believed that people do not understand, it was because I did not admit that I had a problem and I did not explain it to others. When I started discussing the fact that I had acne and the treatments I was using my friends and family were very understanding and supportive. They did not judge me the way I always felt they did. Discuss it with your close friends and family and tell them how it makes you feel.