Notifications
Clear all

Vegan Vs Paleo Vs Pacific Diet: Your Experience?

MemberMember
(@fyry)

Posted : 07/13/2014 9:18 am

Hello :)

I am experimenting with different diets right now. I am paleo for 2 years now (on and offs..) and cured my acne to 85-90%.

I noticed I do well on the fish-veggies-less tomatoes-some sweet potatoes diet. NO nuts. NO FRUITS.

The problem was that I was constantly without any energy and was spending crazy amounts of money on food. I definitely can not afford it as I am an university student. So I started looking for a way to eat more fruit and not get blemishes from it. I could easily discover that high fat diet plus fruits gave me HUGE pimples.

I found Freelee and Durianrider and actually found them pretty extreme and unhealthy but than researched about this theory they are promoting and now I am really hooked about it. They state that the 80-10-10 ratio (carbs-prot-fat) is what we are designed to eat (all vegan). On the other hand there is the Pacific diet (Kitavan diet) that consists of 70% carb-20% fat-10% protein consisting of fish, tubers, fruit, vegetables, coconuts and no oils. The people on this island do not have acne at all and are among the healthiest on the planet. I also am amazed by the people who eat raw food vegan diet and have such amazing skin transformations.

So I decided to give this vegan thing a try, but I am SO SCARED of the fruit. Like literally I just freak out. I already got some pimples and I think this is 100% due to the increased amount of fruit I eat compared to the low carb diet I followed....

I know there will be a transitioning phase and hope I get it soon by and start seeing some benefits.

My question to you is: coud you please share some experience with different diets like the ones stated above? I know paleo is super good but was wondering if the no-meat version would be even more beneficial. Did you have success with a vegan diet?

When did you see results? Did it first get WORSE before seeing benefits?

MemberMember
(@acnewonderland)

Posted : 07/13/2014 4:05 pm

I found Freelee and Durianrider and actually found them pretty extreme and unhealthy

how are they unhealthy? o.o freelee is thin and her skin is quit good (she had acne!) and she can eat loads of food in one meal and not get fat. only downside its mainly just fruits and pasta but anyway...when i will have enough cash i deff wanna try their ways out..

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/13/2014 4:14 pm

Just eat real, whole nutrient rich food, and avoid any high glycemic impacting meals, drinks, snacks and anything you have an intolerance for. While limiting dairy and gluten.

MemberMember
(@fyry)

Posted : 07/14/2014 3:04 am

I found Freelee and Durianrider and actually found them pretty extreme and unhealthy

how are they unhealthy? o.o freelee is thin and her skin is quit good (she had acne!) and she can eat loads of food in one meal and not get fat. only downside its mainly just fruits and pasta but anyway...when i will have enough cash i deff wanna try their ways out..

She doesnt eat any fat... like ANY fat. I am not sure if this is normal... also she binges on food. But I agree that she looks smokin hot. Durianrider is too skinny, but she is super :)

Just eat real, whole nutrient rich food, and avoid any high glycemic impacting meals, drinks, snacks and anything you have an intolerance for. While limiting dairy and gluten.

The point is....I dont want to avoid completely fruit OR fat. I dont want to choose between one of two. This is why I came to this new approach with just less fat 10-20% of daily intake and 70-80% carbs, no animal protein (or maybe just fish). They say even 30% fat diet causes more insulin spikes, when combined with moderate carb intake. I thought that this can be an explanation why I just cant eat normal amounts of carbs without getting some spots. I definitely eat a lot of fat....Anyway, I will give it a try. Just wanted to motivate myself with some real success stories.. : ) If it doesnt work I guess I must go back to the low carb struggle :(

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/14/2014 7:58 am

She doesnt eat any fat... like ANY fat. I am not sure if this is normal... also she binges on food. But I agree that she looks smokin hot. Durianrider is too skinny, but she is super :)

The point is....I dont want to avoid completely fruit OR fat. I dont want to choose between one of two. This is why I came to this new approach with just less fat 10-20% of daily intake and 70-80% carbs, no animal protein (or maybe just fish). They say even 30% fat diet causes more insulin spikes, when combined with moderate carb intake. I thought that this can be an explanation why I just cant eat normal amounts of carbs without getting some spots. I definitely eat a lot of fat....Anyway, I will give it a try. Just wanted to motivate myself with some real success stories.. : ) If it doesnt work I guess I must go back to the low carb struggle :(

You need to eat fat.

The point is, just eat real whole nutrient dense food, more anti inflammatory than inflammatory while avoiding anything you have an intolerance for and any high glycemic impact. And if you determine you are not intolerant to gluten and dairy, you should still limit them

You can do that on a paleo, vegan, pacifier or not. Why do you need a to follow.? I.e. As a vegan, you eat whole unprocessed real food, not a lot of vegan faux foods and refined carbs.

MemberMember
(@fyry)

Posted : 07/14/2014 8:10 am

Ok, thanks for the opinion. I am just experimenting to see where I can find balance. I dont eat gluten in any form or dairy.

Just the fruit is my struggle... I actually find the vegan idea very unsexy, cant imagine to be a vegan my whole life and actually find eating animals totally normal Grilled pork chops oh yeah :D

BUT if that clears me up 100%.... HELL YES I will do it.

Anyway..

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/14/2014 8:14 am

Ok, thanks for the opinion. I am just experimenting to see where I can find balance. I dont eat gluten in any form or dairy.

Just the fruit is my struggle... I actually find the vegan idea very unsexy, cant imagine to be a vegan my whole life and actually find eating animals totally normal biggrin.png Grilled pork chops oh yeah :D

Anyway.. smile.png

Then why are you contemplating veganism? Veganism or not has nothing to do with health or clear skin.

MemberMember
(@fyry)

Posted : 07/14/2014 8:23 am

Just the fruit is my struggle... I actually find the vegan idea very unsexy, cant imagine to be a vegan my whole life and actually find eating animals totally normal biggrin.png Grilled pork chops oh yeah

Anyway.. smile.png

Then why are you contemplating veganism? Veganism or not has nothing to do with health or clear skin.

Because I am scared of eating fruit. That feeling of freaking out when eating fruit (cos I really get an itchy and more inflamed skin after eating fruits: I dont eat citrus cos I am allergic to it, but anything else) made me research it. I read the whole 80 10 10 diet and some other high carb advocates that stated the fat was the problem and we should keep it very low in order to absorb the carbs perfectly. I was really really sceptical at first but decided to try it. However, my skin is not getting any better, in fact it is getting more red and inflamed. I thought: ok, this can be a detox reaction... wait....

And curently am motivating myself with some raw vegan blogs and pictures of people who are eating this way. For me they are totally freaked out because EVERY one of them eats no more than a half of avocado a day and 1 lbs of rice or 15 bananas in a meal. This freaks me out. This is somehow so differrent to what I believe in.... and vegan people are less attractive to me. BUT I decided to try.

This is why I made this topic, I want more arguments pro and contra before I destroy my health. Sorry for being this confused in my post, but I am really confused in my head right now....

Maybe I should do the low carb shit and feel miserable, this feels safer :(

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/14/2014 8:49 am

You aren't making any sense. I don't even know how to respond to that. Other than what I said before.

And it sounds like you are reading a lot of nonsense. Will eating paleo freak you out? If not, them do that.

MemberMember
(@fyry)

Posted : 07/14/2014 8:57 am

I think I am making perfect sense in that I am trying if this carb shit works. I also explained perfectly clear why I do it: want energy source and am too skinny to afford losing more weight with the fish and veg diet. However, you just say it is nonsense without any argument or personal experience. I must try it for myself, this topic is obviously not the favourite discussion here.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/14/2014 9:14 am

You plan to be a vegan even though you don't want to and eating fruit and avocados freak you out. This makes sense? Avocados freak you out? You want out eat an all carb diet? What a carbs are you going to eat?

If you don't want to lose weight, eat a lot of real food including good fats. You need all the macro nutrients. Any diet that says otherwise is nonsense.

And I've posted pages of pages of data and personal experience to back up what i say. I can't attest any experience on any of the above diets or any other gimmick diet because I don't do extreme, gimmicky diets. I just eat well like humans should.

Above all, you need to follow a diet that doesn't freak you out.

MemberMember
(@acnewonderland)

Posted : 07/14/2014 10:38 am

She doesnt eat any fat... like ANY fat. I am not sure if this is normal... also she binges on food. But I agree that she looks smokin hot. Durianrider is too skinny, but she is super

the good fats deficiency is what i struggle abt when it comes to this fruit/veg diet the most. it cant be good to face right? bcs doesnt it when u eat fat it makes ur subcutaneous fat and makes ur face plum and prevents wrinkles and scars? anyone knows this?
when i was vegetarian for 5 yrs, i lost alot of facial fat where i didnt even need it >< i did eat alot of veggetable fat but anyway!!
yet freelee looks fine. durian looks a bit sickly to me. its weird cos they eat the same :S
and other vegans ive seen either look like prunes either especially fresh?
so anyone believe in blood type diet? its where diff type of ppl respond differently to diff diets, maybe thats the thing
MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/14/2014 10:54 am

the good fats deficiency is what i struggle abt when it comes to this fruit/veg diet the most. it cant be good to face right? bcs doesnt it when u eat fat it makes ur subcutaneous fat and makes ur face plum and prevents wrinkles and scars? anyone knows this?
when i was vegetarian for 5 yrs, i lost alot of facial fat where i didnt even need it >< i did eat alot of veggetable fat but anyway!!
yet freelee looks fine. durian looks a bit sickly to me. its weird cos they eat the same :S
and other vegans ive seen either look like prunes either especially fresh?
so anyone believe in blood type diet? its where diff type of ppl respond differently to diff diets, maybe thats the thing

Cell membranes are made from fat. All of them, including skin cells if skin is all that matters to you. Many nutrients are fat soluble. That means you need to consume them with fat for them to be absorbed. Fats are essential. That's the E in EFA. Essential Fatty Acids. Also, fats are important for sebum composition. And sebum isn't dead grease coating your skin. It's living cells that produce the enzymes and other substances involved in normal skin function such as normal rates of proliferation and the dissolving the intracellular matrix that allows cells to exfoliate freely without clogging pores.

People have some slightly different needs and intolerances/digestion issues. Some of which can be improved with nutrients and habits. I don't know that blood type has much to do with these differences. Conventional medicine certainly doesn't think it has any validity, for what that's worth. I'd look to your ethnicity. Although ethnically, I am English/northern/Eastern European but I really don't want to eat a meat and 2 over cooked tasteless veggie diet. I'd much rather eat a mediterranean and Caribbean/Hispanic diet.

MemberMember
(@acnewonderland)

Posted : 07/14/2014 11:19 am

well how many meals per week and how much grams of fats foods would u suggest to eat per meal?
and how long is it ok to go without consuming any at all?
bcs sometimes i just dont have anything like that at home or i dont feel like eating that day (wouldnt body give like hunger signals if it felt like its lacking fats btw)?
but hey wait, u dont eat meat?? u only eat fish then?
MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/14/2014 2:30 pm

well how many meals per week and how much grams of fats foods would u suggest to eat per meal?
and how long is it ok to go without consuming any at all?
bcs sometimes i just dont have anything like that at home or i dont feel like eating that day (wouldnt body give like hunger signals if it felt like its lacking fats btw)?
but hey wait, u dont eat meat?? u only eat fish then?

I eat everything except things I am intolerant to i.e. citrus. I just eat mostly real real, whole, nutrient dense plant foods. I eat very little meat, usually only when out. I rarely cook it , but do boil chicken for the stock although that's as much for the dog as it is for me. I guess you are asking because I said I didn't want to eat meals that consist of a slab of meat and sides of boring vegetables. That's because those things are usually blah and tasteless. Some kind of soup, stir fry, saute, casserole, etc is what i eat and it can have meat in it or not.

I do not know how long you can go without eating fat. Why do you want to avoid all fat for days?

MemberMember
(@acnewonderland)

Posted : 07/14/2014 5:18 pm

which vegetables do u consider to be boring and which are those nutrient dense?
cos i wanna try freelees fruit diet at some point and fasting/juice fasting in sooner time. its for weight loss ._. and redmarks/few scars..
i pretty much dont eat those already just dunno what are those the best vegies u all speak here abt all the time? i just eat cucumber, tomato, spinach (sometimes, very sometimes atm) and idk what else :/
MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/14/2014 5:36 pm

which vegetables do u consider to be boring and which are those nutrient dense?
cos i wanna try freelees fruit diet at some point and fasting/juice fasting in sooner time. its for weight loss ._. and redmarks/few scars..
i pretty much dont eat those already just dunno what are those the best vegies u all speak here abt all the time? i just eat cucumber, tomato, spinach (sometimes, very sometimes atm) and idk what else :/

I consider plain boiled vegetables to be boring. I consider vegetables used in tasty soups, casseroles, stir frys etc to not be boring. The darkest, brightest most colorful veggies tend to be the most nutrient dense. The exceptions being a few white or pale items like onions, garlic, cabbage & cauliflower which are all 'superfoods' despite being white. The most nutritious vegetables include greens, cabbage, broccoli, onions, garlic. Sweet potatoes because they are both nutritious and a good slow carb. Cooked tomatoes are good because lycopene protects skin and is anti-androgen. Okra and other slimy things like cactus and purslane are nutritious plus good for the digestive tract and your mucosal membranes.

MemberMember
(@fyry)

Posted : 07/15/2014 3:43 am

I gave up the fruit thing. This morning I had new pimples and itchy face. I ate my last bananas in the smoothie and won't buy other fruit except from berries and only after exercise.

P.S. Freelee didnt have real acne.... she was just a bit overweight. I prefer not eating "unlimited" calories from fruit, but eating a little bit of healthy fats and tasty meats.