Teenage Acne

MemberMember
(@jenjen182)

Posted : 07/11/2014 5:22 pm

So I've decided to give the Regimen a shot. My skin, compared to others, isn't bad at all, in fact very minor, but I'm very self conscious about it. I started getting acne in 7th grade, all around my chin and nose. I was very uncomfortable about my chin because soon it was littered with scars and whiteheads, some of which would keep returning in the same place. My self confidence level dropped greatly and I wouldn't leave the house without makeup. 8th grade, it increased, so I now had minor acne on my chin, nose, around my mouth, and on the tops of my cheeks. I was very unhappy, and felt like everyone could see it. I begged my parents to take me to the doctor, who told me that benzoyl peroxide could help. So in 9th grade, I began using AcneFree, the drugstore proactiv. It worked for the most part, but I still got acne, just not as frequently. I got bumps on my forehead, but they never turned into acne, just little bumps. If I wore foundation, I could cover it, but I still felt like people could see it. People would ask me how I got flawless skin and I would laugh, then just be like, "wait, you were serious?" Finally, this summer, I decided to take the stand and try the Regimen, for clear skin heading into 10th grade. I hope that people learn from this, especially teens who are in the same situation.

Right now, I am on the 5th day of the Regimen. Not sure if this will be weekly or daily, but I will update frequently. On about the 2nd day, I saw major redness and felt burning. I decreased the amount of BP I was using. On the 3rd day, I had less redness and less burning, but more acne :( lots of whiteheads popping up onto my chin. In fact, my chin is practically cluttered with them. On the 4th day, less redness and burning, but so much peeling. My face felt like a leather shoe. Some whiteheads gone overnight, but more have popped up. Today, still no decrease except for on the forehead. Less bumps there. Lots of peeling so I got Desert Essence 100% jojoba oil and put it with my moisturizer on my chin, around my mouth, on the sides of my nose, and on my cheeks. It took away the peeling, yay! I rubbed very lightly with a towel and some water to help remove extra bits of dead skin. So far, redness, mild burning, and lots of zits. I hope it's purging!

My routine:

1) Gently wash face for 10 seconds with Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser and Makeup Remover in One. Splash face 3 times and dry by patting face on towel lightly. Wait 5-10 minutes.

2) Carefully apply AcneFree Spot Treatment (3% BP). Using a squirt the size of a quarter, gently tap spots onto cheeks, chin, nose, and forehead. Rub lightly, but let it soak into skin on its own. Wait 10-15 minutes.

3) Gently apply spots of Neutrogena Oil Free Moisturizer for Normal Skin mixed with Desert Essence Jojoba Oil (5 drops) onto chin, cheeks, nose, and forehead. Rub into skin, and repeat. Let dry for 5 minutes before applying makeup.

I do the same thing at night except I don't apply makeup :)

MemberMember
(@lynhmob)

Posted : 07/11/2014 5:36 pm

I just got the regime kit in today and I have light acne but I'm so self conscious about it and I've tried proactive but it dried out my skin and so did other things I've used? I'm in grade 9 now do you think it will work for me or will I get red skin and dry ?

MemberMember
(@jenjen182)

Posted : 07/11/2014 9:30 pm

Alright, so still day 5, but I wanted to post a quick update. When I went to wash my face tonight, I noticed that my overall complexion was somewhat... Better? It looked like my skin had several years ago, not red, but natural, even skin tone. Better news after that, as I was applying the BP it felt like there were no bumps of upcoming zits on my chin, just the bumps of the ones visible, which are shrinking! I got so excited I practically danced around the room. Not sure if the BP is finally kicking in or the jojoba oil is helping (which is a godsend, all my peeling is gone), but after 5 days of redness, itching, and zits things are looking up!

MemberMember
(@jenjen182)

Posted : 07/12/2014 12:39 pm

Day 6 Update

Woke up this morning with a few more zits visible along the brow line, but that's about it. The ones on my chin appear slightly shrunk, which is a good thing...

After cleansing, applying BP and moisturizing, I went to put on my liquid foundation but my face got so peely! I panicked and started using a damp washcloth to lightly remove the patches of dead skin and then tried using a regular makeup sponge to apply foundation. Luckily, this applied it without disturbing the dry patches, so that's good! I'm thinking of getting a beauty blender and some new moisturizing BB cream to help my face. The dryness is still visible, but not to the point where it is peeling and obvious, which is good. I'm not sure which is better, dry or oily skin!

MemberMember
(@jenjen182)

Posted : 07/13/2014 11:39 am

Day 7 Morning Update

Yay, last day of week 1! Woke up this morning with double the whiteheads on my face- I counted 30 on my chin, nose, cheeks, and around my lips. Not too happy, but what other choices do I have? I can't go to the doctor again because they tell me that it's just hormonal and to keep on living the way I do. And my family repeatedly tells me I am beautiful without makeup and that I should stop the Regimen because it's just making it look worse. To quote, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

The redness and burning is about the usual and I'm a little nervous because tomorrow I have to increase the BP I'm using, which means more dryness and more burning. God, I really hope this works, this is the only thing I have left. I'm going to be on the Regimen for 7 weeks and see if I see results. If not, I'm going to cut it off completely.

MemberMember
(@jenjen182)

Posted : 07/13/2014 6:39 pm

Day 7 Night Update

Been avoiding the mirror all day today, ha ha. But the redness has gone down a lot! In fact it almost looks good, except for the zits! A couple less pimples on the nose, but the peeling just won't go away. I tried using a concealer stick and it just got all yucky on me. I think I'm just gonna have to accept that I can't apply facial makeup for the next few weeks, which is just killing me. I decided to just do eyeshadow and lip balm and that looked alright I guess. Can't wait to get started on the AHA+! I keep hearing raving things about it, like it starts fading the scars and helps the peeling. I haven't seen my actual chin in 3 years, so that would be an improvement :)

Read a lot of acne logs on here after this mornings post, so I'm trying to stay positive!

-Jen

MemberMember
(@jenjen182)

Posted : 07/14/2014 11:03 am

Day 8 Morning Update

Tried using a new moisturizer last night (Garnier Moisture Rescue Gel Cream). It seemed to work pretty well mixed with some jojoba oil. The other moisturizer I was using burned at my skin for some odd reason. Also, I put on a little Vaseline onto my dry patches, and I woke up with some peeling, but less than before. I also have been slowly upping my dosage of BP, from a dime size amount to a nickel, then to a quarter. Experienced an odd sensation after putting it on this morning... No burning, but just a tingly feeling. Am I getting used to it? If so, that's good. Only 2 new visible zits today, on the chin. My nose is completely clear!

Also, has anyone heard about using soy to naturally fade acne scars? I was reading about it because I have bad hyper-pigmentation on my chin and around my lips, and was thinking about picking up a soy moisturizer or soy makeup removing towelettes.

-Jen

MemberMember
(@jenjen182)

Posted : 07/14/2014 11:42 pm

Day 8 Night Update

My face was very red for the whole rest of the day today, so no makeup and certainly no going out in public. I think I have the peeling under control though- after the BP dries, jojoba oil, moisturizer, and Vaseline on the dry patches. It seemed to keep my peeling under control nearly all day, except for a little chin peeling at the end. I have an outing with friends this week, so I think I'm going to try a little makeup tomorrow, so I'll update with how it goes. Maybe 1-2 new zits on the chin, 1 on the exact tip of my nose, and a large one on my forehead (I can feel the bump). Thank goodness for bangs! I really hope this Regimen works; I've never seen my skin this bad before. It's very discouraging, I wish I could know you all are reading this! Well, going to bed with hopes and dreams for clear skin.

Goodnight,

Jen

MemberMember
(@gregloera)

Posted : 07/15/2014 1:03 am

Definitely feel the same way! I'm also entering 10th grade with hopes of clear skin. I bought the Regimen but it's still shipping to my house. I hope I can get through the purging before school starts lol. I would advise getting the acne.org moisturizer? idk Dan says using alternative products may alter your results. but hey, whatever works for you, keep using it. hope everything works out for you (:

MemberMember
(@jenjen182)

Posted : 07/15/2014 10:23 pm

Day 9 Update

Woke up with minor peeling on the jawline only, yay! No new visible zits as I can see, and the one on my nose went away overnight, so clear nose! I decided that since my skin was getting so red, I would not apply BP in the morning for this week, just the dosage at night. A lot of people say this is ok for the first couple weeks, so that's the plan! I tried foundation, and it went on ok, but for all of you with makeup issues too, using a beauty blender and some BB cream works fantastically- doesn't disturb dry patches! So my skin is looking alright today, even my family commented on seeing results, which was a good sign. I'm continuing to apply Vaseline to the dry patches- it helps a ton. Anyway, things are going good!

Definitely feel the same way! I'm also entering 10th grade with hopes of clear skin. I bought the Regimen but it's still shipping to my house. I hope I can get through the purging before school starts lol. I would advise getting the acne.org moisturizer? idk Dan says using alternative products may alter your results. but hey, whatever works for you, keep using it. hope everything works out for you (:

It's so great to hear from someone else! Glad we're going through this together :) yeah, the first week kind of sucks, but it's so worth it for clear skin! And I am thinking about ordering from Dan because I saw a deal on here where Dan is giving out 30,000 free travel size regimen kits. I think I'd like to try out his cleanser and moisturizer first before ordering big batches of them because they are quite expensive for me and my teenage budget. Let me know how your first week goes!

-Jen

gregloera liked
MemberMember
(@gregloera)

Posted : 07/15/2014 10:41 pm

Yeah, definitely get the free starter kit! I think it comes with $15 in coupons so that should help you out Also, let me know how your skin is after a month, it'll give me a relatively good idea about how my skin will be when school starts. Thanks Jen, hope your skin is looking well!

jenjen182 liked
MemberMember
(@jenjen182)

Posted : 07/16/2014 11:38 am

Day 10 Morning Update

So my skin is looking very good this morning, very clear! My nose is still clear, my cheeks are clearing up, and there are less on my chin! One or two zits popped up overnight around my lips, but they are fairly small. My forehead is a little less bumpy, but to be honest, since I have bangs that doesn't bother me too much. I am really thankful for jojoba oil and Vaseline. I think today and last night were the first days where I thought, hey, this actually can work! I might have clear skin! So I'm ecstatic this morning.

Yeah, definitely get the free starter kit! I think it comes with $15 in coupons so that should help you out rolleyes.gif Also, let me know how your skin is after a month, it'll give me a relatively good idea about how my skin will be when school starts. Thanks Jen, hope your skin is looking well! nod.gif

I will totally keep updating, and I really hope your skin clears up before school too! :)

-Jen

MemberMember
(@jenjen182)

Posted : 07/16/2014 1:54 pm

I just got the regime kit in today and I have light acne but I'm so self conscious about it and I've tried proactive but it dried out my skin and so did other things I've used? I'm in grade 9 now do you think it will work for me or will I get red skin and dry ?

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry I missed your comment! I was scrolling up after posting this morning and saw it, I'm so sorry! Anyway, yes, I think that using the Regimen is so worth the try. Your skin will purge at first, but it will get better, just like mine is. Please give it a shot, and hopefully you will see fast improvement! :)

-Jen

MemberMember
(@jenjen182)

Posted : 07/16/2014 11:11 pm

Day 10 Night Update

My skin is practically glowing! I am so happy with it! It looks so much clearer than before I started the Regimen, and, shockingly, I think some of my hyperpigmentation is disappearing! No new zits, and the ones on my chin are finally disappearing. My confidence has almost skyrocketed. I've stopped looking in the mirror as much and squinting in different light to see if there is a difference in my skin. I actually can't believe how much my skin has changed. I still have several more weeks to go until totally clear skin, but I can almost see it now, and that makes such a difference.

My routine has changed, so here is the updated version:

Morning

-Wash face for 10 seconds using Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser. Rinse well and pat dry with towel. Wait 5-10 minutes.

-Apply Desert Essence 100% Jojoba Oil all over face. Let soak in for 3 minutes then apply Vaseline on dry patches. Let dry for 5 minutes then apply makeup.

Night

-Wash face for 10 seconds using Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser. Rinse well and pat dry with towel. Wait 5-15 minutes.

-Apply AcneFree Spot Treatment (3% BP, 2 finger sections worth) all over face and gently rub in to skin. Wait 15 minutes.

-Apply Desert Essence 100% Jojoba Oil all over face. Let soak in for 3 minutes then apply Vaseline on dry patches and Garnier Moisture Rescue Gel Cream to cheeks. Let dry for 5 minutes before sleeping.

-Jen

MemberMember
(@jenjen182)

Posted : 07/17/2014 9:25 am

Day 11 Morning Update

Wow, things are going so good! No new acne, and only a little peeling on the jaw when I woke up this morning. Right now, I only have 2 active breakouts which are very small whiteheads on my chin and on my lip! I am so impressed with my skin. If only I could have told myself a week ago how things would be going... :)

Anyway, things are going very well, I think my skin has taken a liking to using a little more of the BP but only once a day. That way I don't start the morning with red, flaky dryness. Going to be spending the day with friends, so hopefully they notice the difference!

-Jen

MemberMember
(@jenjen182)

Posted : 07/18/2014 11:22 pm

Day 12 Update

So things are going pretty good. About 7 new pimples popped up on my nose overnight, not fully active, but still red and visible. Also a huge zit showed up on my forehead, yuck. But I'm still hopeful! My self-confidence is pretty good right now because my chin is still clear, and that's where I get most of my acne. I think I'm going to try going out makeup less tomorrow, which is a huge step for me. Wish me luck! :)

-Jen

gregloera liked
MemberMember
(@jenjen182)

Posted : 07/19/2014 10:13 pm

Day 13 Update

Went sans-makeup today, and god did it feel good! I felt so confident! So I still have the red marks on my nose, but I don't think the zits are going to come out; I slapped some BP on there and I think it helped. Also, the big bump on my forehead went away, only to be replaced by another, but I think they are just clogged pores. I've been putting on a lot of BP there too! Right now, in terms of active breakouts, I have none! I can't wait to start working on hyper pigmentation! And I found out that I can get new frames for my glasses this year, so I'm very excited about my overall look. Almost on the third week of the Regimen and things are going good!

-Jen

gregloera liked
MemberMember
(@jenjen182)

Posted : 07/20/2014 12:12 pm

Day 14 Morning Update

Last day of week two! Wow, this week went by so fast. I can't believe it's already done! I'm still have issues with peeling, but it's subsided so much. Once I apply the jojoba oil, it becomes easier to deal with. Also, my skin doesn't burn like it did before after the BP was applied; instead, it just tingles and turns a bit red for about 5 minutes, then fades away. That's good! I've started thinking about getting rid of my scars. I have quite a bit on my chin, 2 around my lips, a few on my nose, and maybe 1-2 on my forehead. After discussing the AHA with my family, they don't think it is the best idea especially since school is about a month of so from now and I will be out in the sun constantly. AHA makes you more prone to sun burn, etc and I don't want to risk that. Even if you apply sunscreen, you still have avoid the sun, and that just doesn't work for my lifestyle. So I'm thinking about trying Mederma, a cream that fades acne scars. At least that's what my doctor recommended. Any ideas? Anyone heard of it?

-Jen

MemberMember
(@captain-birds3ye)

Posted : 07/20/2014 8:00 pm

MemberMember
(@jenjen182)

Posted : 07/20/2014 10:42 pm

Day 14 Night Update

Things are still going quite well, not much else to report. I can't believe I've only been on the Regimen for about 3 weeks and I'm seeing these results. Does anyone else find it astounding that after trying everything to clear up acne, a gentle cleanser, BP, and generic moisturizer do it all? It just amazes me, but makes me so glad I stumbled along the acne.org website at 11 pm one night on my phone :)

But seriously, I am getting continuous compliments from my family on how great my skin looks, and my self confidence has improved so much. Really, if anyone is reading this and wondering if they should try the Regimen, whether you have minor acne like me or severe acne, the Regimen is seriously worth a shot. Thank goodness for people like Dan who actually understand the struggle that acne is, and how one little zit can tear apart a person's self esteem.

Well, little joy rant done :) Have a good morning/night everyone!

-Jen

MemberMember
(@jenjen182)

Posted : 07/22/2014 12:30 am

Day 15 Update

Can't believe I'm officially on the three week mark! And to celebrate, my face decided to give me another zit, this time on my chin :( but it is a small whitehead, so not too big of a deal. I knew the perfect clear streak couldn't last forever. I upped my dosage slightly today, just a tiny bit past my second finger line length. Also, does anyone know when the dryness starts to fade away? It's still pretty strong and annoying on me.

-Jen

MemberMember
(@jenjen182)

Posted : 07/22/2014 11:00 pm

Day 16 Update

Things were pretty good today! The one zit on my chin is gone, thank goodness. My forehead has 1 whitehead on it now, but it should be gone overnight. Overall, things are looking quite good. I avoided makeup today, which really made a difference in my complexion, yay! I'm trying to avoid it as much as possible because it really covers the face and does cause some acne flare ups. I really want to incorporate Mederma into my skin care routine, maybe by this weekend? I just can't wait to get those scars gone. As far as my face being clear, the Regimen has definitely taken care of it. It is one, if not the, most effective anti acne routine that I've tried for clearing my skin. I still can't believe it's only been a little over 3 weeks!

-Jen

MemberMember
(@jenjen182)

Posted : 07/23/2014 7:21 pm

Day 17 Update

Not much to report. The zit on my forehead lives on, but is fading. Unfortunately, the one that was on my chin left quite a large red mark. I put out a forum question asking about people's opinion on Mederma, and they told me it was for raised scars, which made sense but confused me because my dermatologist told me otherwise. I think I'm going to try some sort of dark spot corrector, and hopefully I will see quick results. Now that my skin is nearly clear, I'd like to have it all the same color! Anyway, not much else to report.

Good night/good morning,

-Jen

MemberMember
(@jenjen182)

Posted : 07/24/2014 12:23 pm

Day 18 Morning Update

Woke up feeling very proud of my skin! It looks so good. Just one or two zits left on my forehead. My chin has never been this clear which is amazing. It makes me so happy. The major side effect for me though is the dryness/peeling. It makes things so difficult. At this point, I could probably go makeup less all the time, but the dryness makes my face look.. Well, I'm not going to describe it, but those of you on the Regimen understand. I really hope it starts to fade away soon, I'm actually missing the oilyness of my skin, ha ha.

Anyway, it feels like these forum posts are getting better and better, which is a great thing!

-Jen

MemberMember
(@jenjen182)

Posted : 07/26/2014 11:00 am

Day 20 Update

Things are going very very good! I'm thinking I'm going to make these logs every couple of days or every week, because I don't have as much to talk about. But my skin is very clear and looking very good!

-Jen