After 1 Year On Reg...

Notifications
Clear all

After 1 Year On Regimen Not Working Going To The Derm For The First Time. What To Expect?

MemberMember
(@annafabbanana)

Posted : 07/09/2014 12:42 pm

Hey!

Im a 27yr old female and I began breaking out in adult cystic acne all over my face a year ago.

I don't know what caused it.

I did the regimen religiously for a year now and it has kept it "under control" but I still have atleast 15 pimples and 5 cyst on my face still.

I finally broke down and im seeing a derm next week. Im very very nervous and embarrassed. What do you guys think they will prescribe me? and im guessing I have to go bare faced with no make up? thanks!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/09/2014 1:14 pm

No need to be scared or embarrassed. Derms have seen it all, trust me. Most likely they'll prescribe an oral antibiotic if your acne is moderate (turn it down as antibiotics never help acne in the long run and can make it worse once you stop), a retinoid (defferin, tazorac, retin -a) and something to help with the bacteria (BP or topical antibiotic). Is your acne related to your periods? If it's hormonal then you may want to mention that as topicals don't do much to quell hormonal acne.

Have you tried diet changes (one of the easiest changes you can make IMO.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

MemberMember
(@annafabbanana)

Posted : 07/10/2014 12:07 pm

Yes I really believe my acne is hormonal because I have been using BP for a year now and it has not helped.

do you think it would be okay to take antibiotics for the first 3 months so I don't purge and then wean myself off?

MemberMember
(@surf15)

Posted : 07/10/2014 12:55 pm

Modifying my diet and using a clean pillowcase helped me a lot. Of course, there are other factors as well. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/10/2014 7:53 pm

Yes I really believe my acne is hormonal because I have been using BP for a year now and it has not helped.

do you think it would be okay to take antibiotics for the first 3 months so I don't purge and then wean myself off?

That's a personal decision you'll have to make. Some people are fine with a short course of antibiotics and others aren't (digestive issues, etc). If the purge is going to be distressing for you, then its something to consider.

MemberMember
(@annafabbanana)

Posted : 07/11/2014 10:24 am

okay thanks guys for your input! help a lot!

And to answer the diet question, yes I cut dairy out and I change my pillow cases and face towels twice a week for the passed year too.

I think when I go see the derm for the first time on weds I will ask to be on antibiotics so the purging doesn't happen. I just cant emotionally go through purging again.

MemberMember
(@missamua)

Posted : 07/12/2014 4:27 am

Hi there, I've had severe acne for 8 years, and unfortunately I went through literally every antibiotic there was to try, which always kept it under control for a while before becoming resistant. I even went on amoxicillin which isn't commonly prescribed for acne. All of those years of antibiotics honestly were a decision I regret because not only am I resistant to them, but I struggle with digestive issues now. I'm not trying to discourage you by any means, but I'd consider going in a different direction because once you're resistant it's back to square one.

The absolute ONLY thing that has helped me in all my awful years of cystic acne was the regimen, except replacing Dan's AHA with tazorac which is much more potent. You can get it prescribed by your dermatologist. I switch between this and a low strength glycolic acid toner every other night. It took about two months but it finally cleared my skin.

I've also been on Accutane, at the very highest dose, twice. It kept me clear while I was on it and for three months after both courses. Unfortunately, I was left with even more health problems and couldn't take it again. It's a miracle drug for many but it was a mean joke for me.

okay thanks guys for your input! help a lot!

And to answer the diet question, yes I cut dairy out and I change my pillow cases and face towels twice a week for the passed year too.

I think when I go see the derm for the first time on weds I will ask to be on antibiotics so the purging doesn't happen. I just cant emotionally go through purging again.

MemberMember
(@annafabbanana)

Posted : 07/12/2014 10:15 am

Thanks so much for your advice!

Im so happy for you that you finally are clear! (I pray for the day I am!!)

I was only thinking of going on antibiotics for only 3 months so that I do not purge again and then wean myself off. (its the purging im so afraid of because when I went thru it with dans regimen I was very VERY upset and wasn't myself and I cant emotionally go through that again.

MemberMember
(@missamua)

Posted : 07/12/2014 5:45 pm

That may work, I've never weaned off of antibiotics although I've read that you're supposed as to help prevent a huge breakout. This makes sense, since every time I've quit antibiotics cold turkey I've ended up with the WORST breakout a few weeks after.

Thanks so much for your advice!

Im so happy for you that you finally are clear! (I pray for the day I am!!)

I was only thinking of going on antibiotics for only 3 months so that I do not purge again and then wean myself off. (its the purging im so afraid of because when I went thru it with dans regimen I was very VERY upset and wasn't myself and I cant emotionally go through that again.

MemberMember
(@invisiblenetrix)

Posted : 07/13/2014 10:21 am

have u tried birth control pills?

My sister jumped on that when she was 20 and to this day she never got a single pimple since.

MemberMember
(@annafabbanana)

Posted : 07/13/2014 11:18 am

have u tried birth control pills?

My sister jumped on that when she was 20 and to this day she never got a single pimple since.

I was on birth control for 6 years and i was clear. It was when i stopped it got really bad.

Hopefully the derm. Will help me.

MemberMember
(@invisiblenetrix)

Posted : 07/14/2014 3:07 am

Is there a reason why u decided to go off the pills?

good luck with the derm and keep us posted on what they had to say.

MemberMember
(@annafabbanana)

Posted : 07/14/2014 6:26 am

Is there a reason why u decided to go off the pills?

good luck with the derm and keep us posted on what they had to say.

Yea there was.

I had my daughter back in 2006 and that's why I went on the pill. (Not for acne because I never had it before)

As I was on the pill for 6 years (ortho tri cyclen) it made me feel very sick each month. My prescription ended so I decided to stop.

I will definitely keep you posted. 2 more days!

MemberMember
(@annafabbanana)

Posted : 07/16/2014 2:46 pm

Hey guys.

I just got back from my first derm. Appointment

She put me in doxycycline 100mg twice day

Finacea 15% gel in the morning

Clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide at night.

Is anyone else on any of these? I'm very nervous of starting all of this all at once.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 07/18/2014 1:31 pm

That sounds like a pretty normal regimen. Your skin is going to be very dry and red for a while. Moisturize morning and night. Do not stop using the BP, it is INCREDIBLY important that you use the BP while you are on antibiotics to reduce the chance of bacterial resistance.

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 07/18/2014 6:18 pm

I agree --- this is a pretty normal approach to treating acne. Here's an important thing to remember though. Your derm has determined your skin type and what could work for you. It is essential to follow through. Do NOT decide on your own to wean off any of the treatment or change how you do it. First discuss with your derm! Also keep a log of what you are doing and how your skin looks each day. Take this with you to your appointments. It will help your derm immensely in figuring out if something is working right or not. I finally started to do this and together my derm and I figured out a treatment approach that works. Don't be afraid to express you concerns...even dry skin, etc. I really like DML lotion. It was developed specifically for sensitive acne prone skin. It goes on light, absorbs quickly and is a great base for powder makeup. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@annafabbanana)

Posted : 07/23/2014 10:21 am

Thanks Everyone! I took everyones advice for this past week!

So ive been on the regimen of:

doxycycline 100mg twice a day

Finacea 15% gel in the morning

and clindamycin + BP at night

It has been 1 week and here my update:

it seems to actually be working very well. By all means im not CLEAR but it seems to be clearing me up.

My skin isn't dry either and im guessing it must be because ive been using BP for a year now twice a day. and I always moisturize. I do get a little tingle from the Finacea in the morning but nothing to bad.

The doxycycline has made me a little dizzy sometimes (but it goes away) and I do have a little burning feeling 10 min after I take it but that goes away too.

I did hear that week two is usually HELL for people because that is when you have your initial breakout. Im so afraid its going to happen :( (I had an IB when starting dans regimen and it was a very emotional low point in me life) Fingers crossed!! Ill check back next weds!

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 07/25/2014 4:14 pm

I never got an initial breakout when using doxy. All I got was a continuation of my usual acne, although less, as the pores finally cleaned out. This process took months. But as each month went by my acne was less. And a change in diet finally got me totally clear. You'll be fine as long as you continue with all aspects of your tx regime. And then when you get clear continue the regime until your derm decides it is time to wean off some things. If you have chronic acne then you'll always have to use something but it will be more streamlined...and you won't mind because you'll be clear!

MemberMember
(@annafabbanana)

Posted : 07/31/2014 12:03 pm

I understand what you are saying about the acne getting better but very slow.

So week #2 has ended since I started the Doxy, finacea, clindamycin +BP regimen.

I have not had any initial breakout at all and have not had any dryness!! ( I really do believe the reason for not having any dryness is because I was on dans reg for a year)

My acne is getting better... very SLOWLY. but HEY! that is better then nothing!!

I still am getting new pimples every day. but they seem to go away by the end of the night.

ill check back in next week!

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 07/31/2014 12:28 pm

This is great! So glad to hear it's working. You'll have setbacks from time to time...usually when hormones surge monthly but overall things will be under control and easier to live with. FYI --- biggest mistake most people make is stopping tx when clear. If you have acne as an adult you usually have to continue doing a maintenance regime of some kind to stay clear. Your derm will guide you in what is best for your skin and acne type. A researcher once wrote that adult acne is like diabetes of the skin so if that is even remotely true then it makes sense that you have to continue doing something...just like diabetics do. Also try modifying diet to help with keeping clear. The diet that has worked best for me is avoiding dairy, sugary foods, alcohol, processed oils (dressings, fried foods, etc.) and eating whole fresh foods versus junk. Just an idea to consider.

MemberMember
(@annafabbanana)

Posted : 08/06/2014 12:26 pm

Week 3 has ended on this new regimen.

Id say my skin is pretty much the same as last week.

Still getting breakouts but they seem to go away faster and are smaller.

Hopefully I will see an even bigger improvement at the end of the month!

MemberMember
(@annafabbanana)

Posted : 08/13/2014 12:21 pm

It has been about a month since I started this new regimen.

I am still clearing up too! still clearing up very very slow but my acne is going away.

and the finacea is definitely making my hyperpigmentation disappear.

I still have about 4 pimples on my jaw line (for some reason I broke out here and its been healing sooo slow)

and 3 tiny cyst on the apples of my cheeks.

I have my 2nd derm appointment next month for my two month check up. Im hoping to be clear by then so I am not embarrassed to go without makeup!

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 09/01/2014 6:01 pm

Keep going! It takes months to finally get clear...as old acne works its way out. My skin has now been clear for several years and keeps improving as scarring fades and skin tone evens out. I think your regime will work great because you're attacking it on multiple levels at the same time --- killing acne bacteria, opening pores and fading red marks. It's this combo that gets best results...and adding in a good diet then helps the skin to heal faster and lessens inflammation.

MemberMember
(@annafabbanana)

Posted : 10/13/2014 1:43 pm

Hello Everyone! This is going to be my 3 month UPDATE:

As you guys know im 27 and been on the regimen of:

doxy twice a day

finacea 15% gel in the morning (for scars)

and Clindamycin with BP at night

I am still get new tiny pimples around my jawline and forehead (about 1-3 a day) They do go away the next day and im still getting about 1 small cystic pimple a week.

Something crazy happened last week. I came down with a very bad ear infection and the doctor put on my a zpack (antibiotics) and a steroid (prednisone) for 5 days. He also instructed me to stop taking my doxy in those days. I took my new meds for my ear infection, woke up the next day and my face was 100% clear! nothing!! I did more research and I found that the prednisone was the drug that did it. and prednisone is an anti inflammatory. Im taking my last dose of prednisone today. Im hoping that was the push I needed to stay clear! we will see.

ive also decided to wean myself off of the doxy. it really isn't doing anything for my acne and I don't want to continue to harm my liver.

will update soon!

MemberMember
(@annafabbanana)

Posted : 10/22/2014 9:35 am

This week really stinks.

Im just really starting to think that my acne is Hormonal. im breaking out in my big cystic pimples again (the week of my period.)

I have my next derm appointment in two weeks. I think im just going to tell her that all these tropicals aren't working and I would like to try sprio

Its like I take one step forward and two steps back.