Notifications
Clear all

Not Sure If Acne Or Scars?

MemberMember
(@johnisme)

Posted : 07/06/2014 6:51 pm

Hey all, for a few years now I've had this redness on both my cheeks, along with some pimples. I'm not sure if they're scars or PIH or what. I was hoping to get some advice on what to do.

Thanks

post-407543-0-35559500-1404690689_thumb.

post-407543-0-80868900-1404690701_thumb.

MemberMember
(@johnisme)

Posted : 07/11/2014 7:25 pm

anything?

MemberMember
(@mrlovalova)

Posted : 07/13/2014 7:33 am

well, it looks like the whole area is pretty irritated and you still have a few fresh pimples. as long as you keep getting new acne there the skin will have hard time recovering properly.

are you using anything to treat the skin there? wash, moisturizer,bp.. etc? do you shave regularly? shaving can aggravate your acne by quite a bit if not done correctly, i'm pretty sure there are plenty of threads around here with tips for shaving properly.

anyway, by looking at those pics i cant see any scarring, so even if you do have any, i'd say they are probably very minor.

a little bit more info on how you tackled your acne so far would help

MemberMember
(@johnisme)

Posted : 07/13/2014 12:56 pm

well, it looks like the whole area is pretty irritated and you still have a few fresh pimples. as long as you keep getting new acne there the skin will have hard time recovering properly.

are you using anything to treat the skin there? wash, moisturizer,bp.. etc? do you shave regularly? shaving can aggravate your acne by quite a bit if not done correctly, i'm pretty sure there are plenty of threads around here with tips for shaving properly.

anyway, by looking at those pics i cant see any scarring, so even if you do have any, i'd say they are probably very minor.

a little bit more info on how you tackled your acne so far would help smile.png

First of all, thanks for the reply! Sorry for being a little lacking on the info, still new to this.

Yes I do shave daily, so if that's the issue then...yikes. I currently use an electric razor.

I have tried different bp and salycilic acid washes including epiduo, mostly to no avail. I mean some of my acne on my forehead cleared up but I'm mostly concerned with my cheeks. I try to moisturize but I don't know which brand to buy and how often to. I've been trying to stay hydrated but sometimes I think like I still don't get enough water.

Right now I've been using neutrogena acne stress control wash/scrub thing followed by a cetaphil oil control moisturizing sun screen in the morning . At night I've been using the same wash followed by an oil free moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@mrlovalova)

Posted : 07/13/2014 1:55 pm

i'm no expert on the shaving bit as i let mine grow and my acne isn't located there anyway, but if you feel like your skin may be a bit irritated from shaving i urge you to have a look in the shaving forum, i bet they have some products and tips.

as for the regimen you're followng, it actually sounds pretty solid (i've been using the neutrogena product myself, although now i use the garnier 3 in 1 which i find helpful)..how long have you been using it? have you seen any improvement at all? is it possible maybe you're over scrubbing?

i've been following a similar routine to yours for my forehead acne ( which is pretty mild by now) but maybe for your kind of acne you need a different approach, your options being:

1. you can look into the acne.org regimen, it's slightly different from anything you've tried so far and has some really positive reviews.

2. have you visited a dermatologist ? possibly some anti-biotics or subscription only creams could do the trick for you, and it's always comforting to have a professional opinion and follow-ups. just don't jump on the oral meds bandwagon too quickly :)

mind if i ask how old are you? keep in mind that if you're still in your teens, some acne is just a bit hard to control, but you have to remember it's a passing phase, and i must stress that your acne isn't that bad at all, so don't let that get you down.

MemberMember
(@johnisme)

Posted : 07/13/2014 2:59 pm

Thanks for the reply! Actually I have been considering going to a dermatologist for a while now, just haven't had the time. I'm 18 currently and I've had this type of acne for about 4 years I think? I haven't been using this wash for that long, but I feel like it's long enough to at least see a little improvement.

How long should I be waiting after I wash to apply moisturizer? Which moisturizer would you recommend? I think I have oily skin but I'm not too sure.

MemberMember
(@acnegone5)

Posted : 07/14/2014 6:37 pm

Dosen't look like scars. Looks like pimples and marks to me. But because you've had quite a few and continue to get them I also recommend trying accutane. Once finished on accutane you might get a few spots here and there, but nothing much. I took it and at times have periods where I get spots, but nothing too major.