Notifications
Clear all

I Miss (A Fraction Of) My Oil. When Will It Come Back?

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 07/04/2014 1:30 am

Quick question for those who read this thread (or are being a night-owl like I am and perusing the forums ); how long has it taken for some of you former Accutane users to get oil-production back in your skin?

My dermatologist told me sebum production would return after one month of being off the drug, but I have yet to see any actual oil.

I've been off Accutane since May 27th. Here's my thread that I continue to update;

I don't miss the oil spill that I used to have coming out of my pores, but a little bit more than what I currently have would be nice.

Any input would be appreciated.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 07/04/2014 9:49 am

My oil came back gradually over the course of 2 years. I didn't miss it at all and wish it would have stayed away forever!

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 07/07/2014 12:23 am

My oil came back gradually over the course of 2 years. I didn't miss it at all and wish it would have stayed away forever!

You didn't worry about getting any wrinkles due to having less sebum than you used to?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 07/07/2014 12:43 am

Part of the problem is that the sebum in acne patients is often not "ideal" sebum. The altered lipid profile is one reason why one person with oily skin gets severe acne and another person with oily skin stays clear. The quality of the sebum is different. Ideal sebum is light and flows freely out of the pores. Sebum in acne sufferers is thick and creates clogs.

So the return of your un-ideal sebum will probably not help you, A little bit of occlusive "moisturizing" capability is not worth the pore clogs, acne, and resulting scars. Just use a good moisturizer. It's a small price to pay for clear skin.

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 07/07/2014 12:53 am

Part of the problem is that the sebum in acne patients is often not "ideal" sebum. The altered lipid profile is one reason why one person with oily skin gets severe acne and another person with oily skin stays clear.

Thanks for posting. I think I understand most of this answer, but am not familiar with the term "lipid profile". Do you mind explaining that to me, or providing me with a link that does?

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 07/07/2014 7:33 pm

You didn't worry about getting any wrinkles due to having less sebum than you used to?

No, from what I've read that's just a myth. I think things like sun protection are more important in regards to that.

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 07/07/2014 8:56 pm

No, from what I've read that's just a myth. I think things like sun protection are more important in regards to that.

I hope that it is a myth for the sake of everybody who's been on Accutane.

Although I once went to a dermatologist who told me at age 23 that I was "lucky" I had so much oil because it would prevent me from wrinkling as much as people with drier skin as I got older.

Do you happen to have a link that discusses the myth aspect of wrinkling after Accutane?

I'd really appreciate it.

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 09/18/2014 11:59 am

I'm now noticing just a little bit of oil production in my skin.

Quote from my Accutane log; "The only real change I've been able to notice besides my joints making a full recovery since being off Accutane (Yay! I can work out without finding myself in excruciating pain, now!) is that I see a little bit of oil production in my cheeks when I get stressed. My job is fast-paced and stressful. Other than that, there aren't too many new physical changes to report".

The jury's still out as to whether this is a good thing or not.

MemberMember
(@londoncat8)

Posted : 09/19/2014 6:36 pm

My oil returned 1 month after I finished my course. And it has returned together with acne!:)

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 09/20/2014 2:21 am

My oil returned 1 month after I finished my course. And it has returned together with acne!

Oh no.

Going to take another course?

MemberMember
(@londoncat8)

Posted : 09/21/2014 8:09 am

My oil returned 1 month after I finished my course. And it has returned together with acne!

Oh no.

no, because it did not help me.:) I also lost half of my hair after accutane. Too risky to try again. Hairloss is nothing compared to other side effects people suffer long term. Just look at the thread about negative side effects post accutane. I use dan's regimen, it helps.

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 09/21/2014 10:10 pm

Oh no.

no, because it did not help me. I also lost half of my hair after accutane. Too risky to try again. Hairloss is nothing compared to other side effects people suffer long term. Just look at the thread about negative side effects post accutane. I use dan's regimen, it helps.

I'm glad Dan's regimen helps you. Do you ever get cysts at all?

MemberMember
(@londoncat8)

Posted : 09/22/2014 4:58 pm

Oh no.

no, because it did not help me. I also lost half of my hair after accutane. Too risky to try again. Hairloss is nothing compared to other side effects people suffer long term. Just look at the thread about negative side effects post accutane. I use dan's regimen, it helps.

I used to get them all the time and BP never helped except when I tried it with Dan's products in the way he advices:) I just wish I tried his regimen before I tried accutane. I assumed it would not help me because I tried BP before and it did nothing:) So I hope whatever you chose it helps you:)

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 09/22/2014 10:33 pm

Oh no.

I used to get them all the time and BP never helped except when I tried it with Dan's products in the way he advices:) I just wish I tried his regimen before I tried accutane. I assumed it would not help me because I tried BP before and it did nothing:) So I hope whatever you chose it helps you:)

Thank you. I don't have any cysts (yet), and not a ton of oil. So, we'll see what happens. 🙂

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 09/23/2014 7:51 am

hi, so basically if oil comes back after accutane and we still get spots, then i assume skin will scar more because the skin is weaker than it was previously?

aslo, on a side note, how come I cannot post a new topic in 'accutane' - i can only reply to peoples topics 😕

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/26/2014 12:34 am

It just means that the mixture of oils you produce is not ideal.

For example one study found that acne sufferers tend to have more oleic acid and less linoleic acid in their sebum. Perhaps oleic acid is thicker and clogs easier, or it's tastier to acne bacteria. For whatever reason that change in the lipid profile correlated with higher acne.

MemberMember
(@athleteman)

Posted : 09/26/2014 1:23 am

It just means that the mixture of oils you produce is not ideal.

For example one study found that acne sufferers tend to have more oleic acid and less linoleic acid in their sebum. Perhaps oleic acid is thicker and clogs easier, or it's tastier to acne bacteria. For whatever reason that change in the lipid profile correlated with higher acne.

I think you're 100% right with that statement. I have always eaten 4 tbsp of olive oil every day which is mainly oleic acid and my sebum has been very thick and "dark", it makes my skin look darker. Now that I have stopped eating olive oil and have minimized oleic acid and sarted to take evening primrose oil and grapeseed oil every day to get GLA and linoleic acid which nurture skin and won't clog pores, my skin is laready looking lighter in color, no more darkness and I only have a couple of small pimples anymore AND the inflammation has gone to nearly zero from all my few pimples that I still have left. I don't do anything else topically anymore than wash my face very gently with Dan's cleanser every morning and night, I don't even moisturize.

Main point, minimize pore clogging oleic acid from your diet and up omega-3 EPA and DHA and omega-6 linoleic and GLA!

Oh and I too have taken accutane over ten years ago, big mistake, acne came back right after stopping accutane and it left my skin very thin and weak permanently. It made me look 10 years older for good, shit happens.