Notifications
Clear all

Tretinoin| Week 10 But..

MemberMember
(@b2698)

Posted : 07/03/2014 2:23 pm

Hey everyone, I'm new to this so please bear with me haha.

Alright so I'm a teenage male , and I have been having some problems with my acne. For some background, I barely started getting acne a little over a year ago. I have oily skin, especially on my nose and forehead. My doctor prescribed me BP 5% and clindamycin phosphate 1%. It worked well and left my skin pretty clear up until may. Out of nowhere, my skin started breaking out pretty badly. I had about 9 big, red whiteheads on my cheeks and around my lips. I waited to see if it was going to go away, but alas, it never did.

People at school started asking me what was going on with my face, which was pretty embarrassing.

I went back to my doctor and this is what happened.

He prescribed me tretinoin gel .025 %.

I use a honey bar soap as a cleanser before, and ponds clarant b3 as a moisturizer. I started using this the first week of May.

During week 1-5 , my skin was purging pretty badly, and I did peel.

From week 6-9 , I still got break outs, but my face had really small pimples all over my face. And as of now, I have about 2 pimples, but I just have the really tiny bumpy skin. I don't know if I should keep using it for a month or two, or go back to my doctor.

MemberMember
(@megs410)

Posted : 07/03/2014 11:16 pm

Hi there

My face randomly decided that it wanted to break out in deep painful cysts all over my chin a few months ago for no reason so I was also prescribed tretinoin (.05%) and clindamycin/BP about 10 weeks ago by my derm. Just like you, from the 2nd to about 5th week my skin purged soooo badly I was scared to even leave the house. Slowly, by week 6 they started to go away. I'm going into my 11th week...I have not had a big cyst-like pimple since about week 6ish (knock on wood!) I do have several tiny tiny whiteheads and I have gotten a few that are noticeable but nothing like I had when I started. I still get flakes and dryness that I try to gently rub off with a clean washcloth and neutrogena's sensitve skin moisturizer. I HATE the hyperpigmentation...but tretinoin is supposed to help with that as well. I think you should give it a few more weeks as it sounds like it is helping you...keep me updated because it seems like we're in the same boat with timing and everything.

b2698 liked
MemberMember
(@b2698)

Posted : 07/04/2014 12:50 am

Hi there surprised.gif

My face randomly decided that it wanted to break out in deep painful cysts all over my chin a few months ago for no reason so I was also prescribed tretinoin (.05%) and clindamycin/BP about 10 weeks ago by my derm. Just like you, from the 2nd to about 5th week my skin purged soooo badly I was scared to even leave the house. Slowly, by week 6 they started to go away. I'm going into my 11th week...I have not had a big cyst-like pimple since about week 6ish (knock on wood!) I do have several tiny tiny whiteheads and I have gotten a few that are noticeable but nothing like I had when I started. I still get flakes and dryness that I try to gently rub off with a clean washcloth and neutrogena's sensitve skin moisturizer. I HATE the hyperpigmentation...but tretinoin is supposed to help with that as well. I think you should give it a few more weeks as it sounds like it is helping you...keep me updated because it seems like we're in the same boat with timing and everything.nod.gif

Hello (:! Yeah, the hyperpigmentation is pretty noticeable, that's why I use the b3 clarant (helps with evening skin tone and removing dark spots).

I don't happen to flake or peel anymore, it's just the annoying small pimples that bug me. I have a lot of black heads on my nose, but some has cleared up. I don't have a derm, just my general doctor.

I still have the bottle of BP and clindamycin. Should I use it in the morning as a spot treatment?

MemberMember
(@megs410)

Posted : 07/04/2014 1:14 pm

I still have the black heads on my nose as well but I never really cared that much about them like I did with the big pimples. My derm told me to use the BP/ clindamycin in the morning because it is a good antibiotic. He said hes not a big fan of spot treating because its more effective to use the product all over the face to help stop new pimples from forming. So i wash with cetaphil and then apply the bp/clindamycin and then a moisturizer in the morning (plus sunscreen) and then at night I just use the cetaphil again and then wait a half hour and use the tretinoin.