Notifications
Clear all

Closed Comedones?!

MemberMember
(@tashaunacarter)

Posted : 07/02/2014 5:07 pm

So I've actually always had clear skin, I've been very lucky until recently. I'm 21 years old (don't know if that makes a difference here) and I had a bit of hyperpigmentation from excessive tanning a couple years ago so I decided to do something about it back in March. I purchase the ChromaWhite tx kit from dermalogica and started using their tri-activ cleanse every day. It did help with the pigmentation a little bit, but after about 3 weeks or so I started noticing these little bumps on my forehead. I thought that maybe my skin was "purging" since I've never had to use very harsh products and my skin would probably take some getting used to this. (before i was using st. ives apricot scrub but heard that's very horrible on your skin) anyways, since I thought it was purging I decided to stick it out. Well after 3 months they're worse than ever and I was actually starting to develop pimples in areas I've NEVER had acne before!! I even got my first blackhead, after 21 years my FIRST blackhead! Anyways I picked up some of the clearing cleanser from Dermalogica and hope this helps.

SO...I really have two questions.

1. Could it have been the lactic acid that cause this? I'd never had what I'm assuming are closed comedones before. I had no clue what they were when they first popped up before they only zits I'd had before were always white heads. I'd always used cleansers that contained salicylic acid and never tried lactic acid before.

2. How can I tell if they're getting better? It's been about 4 or 5 days since I started this new cleanser and I can't really tell if they're getting better. Will they disappear or slowly get smaller? They look smaller but I don't know if they really are or if it's just my wishful thinking, definitely none of them disappeared. (I also ditched the lactic acid about a week and a half ago)

PLEASE HELP, I'm seriously desperate, I've been looking around the internet like crazy and haven't found an answer. (By the way the picture included does show an actual zit that I popped hah but what I'm talking about the surrounding bumps.)

post-406671-0-05215400-1404338824.jpg

MemberMember
(@tashaunacarter)

Posted : 07/03/2014 12:49 pm

Update:

Is it normal for them to kind of "flatten out"? Because that's what they seem to be doing. I'm not complaining thought because my skin is actually looking quite better today.

MemberMember
(@sky13)

Posted : 07/03/2014 2:21 pm

I honestly think youve irritated your skin which is why its broke out. I would advise to start cleansing and taking care of your skin more gently and they should clear up. Oh and dont mess with them it can lead to scarring.

MemberMember
(@corporeal)

Posted : 07/04/2014 1:51 am

Your story kinda reminds me of what happened to me, so here's to my first post.

I'd say go back to your regular regimen (but, that is just what I think). I had clear (PERFECT) skin and then my dumba** decided to go all natural. Stupid. Idea. I used Dr Bronner's on my face (idiot) and it clogged up my pores. I had those tiny little bumps EVERYWHERE on my face, and sadly I still do - and yeah they kinda "flattened" out, or shrank... They look exactly like the ones in your picture, just more of them.

And so, for 6 months I tried fixing it (aka messing it up) and now it's worse than ever. So, my advice to you is: Don't go crazy trying a bunch of different products and constantly switching because it will just irritate your skin. Give it a rest and go back to what your skin liked before. Hope this helps...I feel like I had to say something as if I were speaking to myself when all hell broke loose on my face. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@tashaunacarter)

Posted : 07/09/2014 9:51 pm

So far the clearing skin wash from dermalogica has helped quite a bit. They've mostly cleared out and now I'm mostly just dealing with the scarring they left behind (I won't lie I picked/squeezed at quite a few of em) and praying they don't make their way back suddenly. I've also added some african black soap to my nightly regimen and that seems to be keeping my skin a little extra nice and clean at night. Also ordered a few more dermalogica products from their medibac line to try and speed up the progress and keep them from coming back...I can already tell me skin is just reacting well with switching back to salicylic acid and ditching the lactic acid.

MemberMember
(@tashaunacarter)

Posted : 07/16/2014 10:38 pm

Another update...

So I'm down to maybe 15 bumps now and a couple that turned into full on zits which I stupidly popped but whatever. I'm sure that at the point I ditched the lactic acid I had atleast 50-60 on my forehead...I stopped counting after 30 because I started crying hahaha. I also forgot to mention there's quite a few VERY small ones on my chin as well which have cleared up a little bit but seem to be much more stubborn. They're super tiny that I don't notice them unless I'm really looking for them though so I don't really mind them.

MemberMember
(@tashaunacarter)

Posted : 07/23/2014 10:35 pm

Another update....

I purchased a few more products from dermalogicas medibac line (sebum clearing masque, overnight clearing gel & clearing mattifier) along with a sulfur ointment and all this sense to be speeding up the process to try and get rid of these last few real stubborn ones but there's still a few that just won't seem to go away so I ordered a 20% salicylic acid peel to get rid of these last few and attempt to get rid of the marks left from picking at these stupid things.

MemberMember
(@tashaunacarter)

Posted : 08/04/2014 4:26 pm

OKAY, so I'm assuming this is hopefully my last update!

THE BUMPS ARE FINALLY GONE! (Knock on wood)

Well I actually still do have a few on my chin but they're so tiny I barely notice them. Here's my regimen ive been using:

MORNING-

Wash with dermalogica clearing skin wash

Tone with witch hazel

Spray face w/ dermalogica multi activ toner

Apply clearing mattifier to forehead/chin/any pimples that pop up

Moisturize with Obagi Hydrate

NIGHT-

If wearing makeup wipe it off with dermalogicas pre-cleanse

Cleanse with dermalogica clearing skin wash

Tone with witch hazel

Spray multi activ toner on face

Apply overnight clearing gel to forehead/chin

Occasionally apply sulfur to problem areas overnight

Moisturize with Obagi Hydrate

I did use a 20% salicylic acid peel on my problem areas once & spot treated clogged pores with it...not sure how much it really helped but my skin is still healing from peeling from the peel.

Anyways I figured id keep this post updated even with the lack of interest from the rest of you cause I figure someone else will have this problem someday and google it like me-and this may pop up!;) good luck to the rest of you!

MemberMember
(@cmarie)

Posted : 08/06/2014 9:27 am

So they finally went away? Ugh I have ur same problem just not really as bad but it's sooooo annoying to have these bumps, especially when you've had clear skin before, they're so stubborn!!

MemberMember
(@thenamesanon)

Posted : 11/07/2014 4:09 am

I'm so glad I found this as I am pretty much in the exact same position with the tinyyyy bumps that can only be seen under harsh lighting or natural lighting. I'm really glad you did keep updating this post as I've only just bought myself some dermalogica products after years of searching for something to clear up my bumps.. Only been using them two days and at the moment it seems as though my bumps are becoming more prominent which I feel is a good thing because they're finally coming to the surface! I really hope these products work but judging by your post I have faith in them that they will!