Notifications
Clear all

Fractional Co2 Laser

MemberMember
(@zippygent)

Posted : 07/02/2014 1:10 pm

Hello guys I've recently had a consultation with a dermatologist and he's recommending i try the fractional co2 laser but only targeting the cheek ( my problem area) and then following up 30days later with a fraxel here is my scarring,do you think ill see any improvements I'm most likely going to go through with the treatment because I'm just tired of not doing anything about my scars so ill keep you guys updated on how things go..

MemberMember
(@acnescar123)

Posted : 07/03/2014 10:35 pm

Your attachment didn't work.

The issue with lasers is most people think of them as a "one and done" procedure. In reality, you'll most likely be disappointed with your improvement unless you do 3-5 fractional co2 lasers at aggressive settings. You'll see some improvement after 1 but just keep that in mind.

Fraxel is also a brand of laser, make sure he's using an actual co2 laser on you at aggressive settings and not the re:store.

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 07/06/2014 8:04 am

Zippy, be more specific. Fraxel is only part of the name of the laser. You want Fraxel Re:pair

MemberMember
(@zippygent)

Posted : 07/06/2014 10:35 am

post-388305-0-12469500-1404660904.jpg

The attachment didn't work so here is a pic again.. I know it's really gross this whole situation is killing me inside. The pores keep getting clogged more and more which causes them to enlarge just a year ago the it wasn't nearly as bad

post-388305-0-12469500-1404660904.jpg

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 07/06/2014 11:56 am

Personally I don't think you will see much permanent improvement to enlarged pores from Co2 laser. In fact, when they remove the top layer of skin, it can make the situation worse if your pores are wider at the base.

I think your skin looks great and your pores look normal. Maybe try a peel for some temporary tightening and cleaning out your pores.

I definitely wouldn't risk Repair. You don't need it.

MemberMember
(@acnescar123)

Posted : 07/06/2014 1:05 pm

Doing fractional co2 for that is a waste of time & money. Not only will it likely not help, it has the risk of side effects + a long recovery period.

You should try 14% aha ( http://www.drugstore.com/alpha-hydrox-aha-swipes/qxp391208?catid=182993 ) or prescription retinols (differin/retin a). They're much more likely to help.

MemberMember
(@zippygent)

Posted : 07/06/2014 2:25 pm

Hey guys thanks for the reply's i tried retina a before it didn't help much i'll give the aha a try and consider getting some peels done aswell but the dermotoligist i went too recommended the co2 laser and said i'll see get some good results although It wouldn't come to me as a surprise that all he cares most about is the $ and not his patients but It is pretty moderate scarring maybe the picture wasn't as clear. But here is a link of the doctor and the treatment he recommended

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 07/06/2014 3:28 pm

I am a strong believer in fractional co2 for certain types of scarring and anti-aging. I have done it three times and also suffer from enlarged pores. For me, my pores are hereditary and laser did absolutely nothing for them. In fact, I would say they look larger now. Retin-a also hasn't improved my pore size but it does prevent clogged pores and flare-ups. Clogged pores might be your main issue as it can lead to scarred pores. There is no reason to risk laser for that, especially since laser is unlikely to improve enlarged or scarred pores.

I would try a light professional peel and a good moisturizer. I would also to stick with Retin-a to keep your skin clear.

Following laser, your pores will vanish but that is caused by microsweliing. Your pores will return to normal in time. Peels have the same effect but the risks and cost are lower. You would only need to periodically repeat it to maintain the results.

I think a good skincare regimen is your best bet for improvement.

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 07/06/2014 3:48 pm

I am familiar with your doctor too. He has basically coined the acronym/term FAST for marketing fractional co2 spot treatment, as if spot treating is something new or original. A lot of doctors spot treat scars. My first laser treatment was a spot treatment but my doctor didn't have his own term for it. Simply means, the doctor only hits your scars with the laser. There is less downtime, less risk of side-effects, and unscarred skin is spared. To someone unfamiliar with scar treatment, I am sure the FAST technique sounds revolutionary. Even the local media ran with it when this doctor first did a press release on FAST. There are people on this board who have been treated by him too. I believe he uses MixTo to spot treat.

MemberMember
(@zippygent)

Posted : 07/06/2014 5:57 pm

Thanks Inspired you seem to really know your stuff

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 07/06/2014 10:12 pm

Yes I am very familiar with this doctor. It really bugs me sometimes how these doctors will take very well known techniques and then come up with a name to trademark it as though it was some new proprietary treatment. They count on the lay public being uninformed, and usually they are right.

I've seen mixto being marketing as "micro pixel hd resurfacing", and subcisions marketed and branded as "scar release".

From what I see, these look like severely clogged pores. You need to use retin-a long term to really see results. Like inspired said, pore size is largely genetic but you can minimize it's "appearance" or the look of the pores through peels and regular retin-a use.

Any kind of resurfacing has the potential to actually make some pores look larger due to something I've read call the "wine glass effect," meaning that if a pore or scar is wider at the base than the opening, taking off the surface exposes that wider bottom area.

MemberMember
(@acnescar123)

Posted : 07/07/2014 12:22 pm

A combination of high concentarion (not the 2% they sell at drug stores) aha/bha usually works fairly well at making the pores look smaller.

Here's a good read on enlarged "pores."

[Removed]

MemberMember
(@zippygent)

Posted : 09/30/2014 10:31 am

Hey guys i just want to update a pic of how my skin looks like. last time i posted a pic you guys said fractional laser would be a bad choice because all i have is enlarged pores i believe i have some ice pick and boxcars as well so would either tca cross or laser help me smooth things out? although my right cheek is not half as bad post-388305-0-88438300-1412091032.jpgpost-388305-0-69616000-1412091037.jpg

post-388305-0-88438300-1412091032.jpg

post-388305-0-69616000-1412091037.jpg