Notifications
Clear all

If I Didn't Have Acne...

MemberMember
(@lookingforward)

Posted : 07/01/2014 4:56 pm

I would smile more.

I'd travel more without fear of a breakout.

I could eat whatever I want! Carbs, carbs, carbs...nom nom nom.

I would go outside more because I could wear sunscreen without getting underground, painful cysts.

I would not be afraid of the winter cold air blowing on my face. If my skin got dry, I'd just use a moisturizer.

I might have become an archaeologist or joined some other profession that includes travel and field work outside.

I would be more outgoing.

I would let people touch my face in affection. I would have enjoyed intimate moments more with people I've loved.

I could use hair products and do fun things with my hair. I could. Maybe I would not choose to. But I could.

I'd go camping all the time.

What would YOU do if you didn't have acne?

Maybe we can encourage one another to do these things anyway.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/01/2014 5:22 pm

I would definitely be more social. I am making good strides with that this summer but I would do it ALL THE TIME

I would date more/be more confident going after what I wanted

I would travel more

I would not be afraid of food and the what if's

MemberMember
(@acnewonderland)

Posted : 07/01/2014 6:21 pm

i would have a life?

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 07/01/2014 8:02 pm

you'll grow out of it guys

MemberMember
(@harry1993)

Posted : 07/01/2014 8:04 pm

I would have the confidence to date.

MemberMember
(@sue7)

Posted : 07/01/2014 8:38 pm

I would not have been on acne.org..but that's something good that happened,

I would have been less pissed

I wouldn't have been spending hours thinking about normal stuff like what shampoo to use, moisturizer to pick

I would have been experimenting more with makeup

I would have been able to eat more of what i like

I would have been going out a lot more

I would have been more happy and enthusiastic towards life

I would have had more friends and socialize more

I wouldn't be living in constant embarrassment and self-doubt

I wouldn't had become the freak i am now.....

MemberMember
(@ocnblitzgmail-com)

Posted : 07/01/2014 9:32 pm

I wouldn't have gone through hell and struggles for years and wouldn't be the same person.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/02/2014 4:59 pm

If I didn't have acne I would:

- still be an arrogant, shallow jerk

- be happier

- stop having these sudden mood changes

- find some other flaw to stress about

I try to not let it affect my life decisions, I made that mistake once: I've always wanted to be a lawyer or a politician, but it didn't seem possible because of my skin, so I just decided to start studying computer science instead, I had only completed 1 year and then I quit, I'm going to law school this september :D I'm looking forward to it :) .

MemberMember
(@sydboi)

Posted : 07/02/2014 6:29 pm

If I didn't have acne, or scars... I would live.

Live without such fear

Live without such worry

Live without such anger

Live without such anxiety

Live without such depression

Live with such joy

Live with such vitality

Live with such experience

Live with such pleasure

I would probably still have fear, anger, anxiety, worry or maybe even depression, depending upon other things and circumstances in life, but it wouldn't be such a constant as it sometimes is now...

I could probably live with joy, vitality, experience and pleasure now -and have had a few moments of this here and there- but it is always tempered by my skin situation...

Regardless though, I refuse to live without compassion. Never giving that up.

MemberMember
(@ben100604)

Posted : 07/04/2014 3:52 pm

If I'd never suffered from acne then:

I'd be in a completely different world - job wise, social wise, number of sexual partners wise!

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 07/04/2014 6:04 pm

i'd probably work less, be willing to go out more

Have more friends

Be looked at different, taken more seriously, be seen as a real person not "that person with..."

Have found the "right one" for me, possibly have started a family

Be less insecure, not so self critical

Be more content with life

MemberMember
(@jmtm18017)

Posted : 07/04/2014 6:39 pm

I'd have more money... HA HA HA! Seriously, add up every product you've ever tried in an attempt to "cure" it, every doctor copay and insurance deductible, every cosmetic item you've used to cover it, every lab work drawn for Accutane......

I'd wear short sleeve shirts in the heat.

I'd have more room in my bathroom.

I wouldn't worry about antibiotic resistance if I were to ever contract a dangerous bacterial infection.

I don't really worry about the "finding the right one for me" stuff-- if someone can't handle my acne, or the emotional issues coinciding with it, I wouldn't want to be with them, anyway. Think about it this way--- there are a multitude of illnesses one can acquire as one gets older-- if your partner can't accept your acne, how could they possibly handle wrinkles, weight gain, arthritis, heart disease, diabetes or cancer?

MemberMember
(@sydboi)

Posted : 07/05/2014 2:27 am

I don't really worry about the "finding the right one for me" stuff-- if someone can't handle my acne, or the emotional issues coinciding with it, I wouldn't want to be with them, anyway. Think about it this way--- there are a multitude of illnesses one can acquire as one gets older-- if your partner can't accept your acne, how could they possibly handle wrinkles, weight gain, arthritis, heart disease, diabetes or cancer?

This is true! I never really stepped far enough out of my self-wallowing to think about this point! Then again, the miasma of anger/depression has somewhat dissipated for a couple of days. When it comes back in to cloud my choices and judgement, I may think differently lol....:/

MemberMember
(@lookingforward)

Posted : 07/06/2014 1:40 pm

you'll grow out of it guys

I'm past 30, Robertitoo! Ha!

Males do typically grow out of acne, yes. Women often grow INTO acne.

MemberMember
(@becky3991)

Posted : 07/06/2014 6:33 pm

- I'd be MUCH MUCH more confident!

- I would stop thinking of myself unworthy of love (and stop selling myself short when people are treating me badly)

- I would NEVER wear make-up on my skin. The thought of waking up and not having to carefully apply a full mask of make-up... wow.

- Letting a friend/housemate/boyfriend see me without make-up

- Be less anxious in social situations and when meeting new people

MemberMember
(@trooper421)

Posted : 07/10/2014 4:30 pm

I had moderate-severe acne with very oily skin as a teen. Fortunately, after many trials with antibiotics, retin-A, and a roller coaster ride with Proactiv, I relented and found success after a 7 month journey with Accutane.

Now I'm in my late 20's, and despite the occasional flare-up, I am pretty clear, although my skin still retains its shine.

- If I hadn't taken Accutane, I never would have been in the career position I am now.

Now in response to the OP's original topic, I'll mention a positive result of having had acne:

- If I never had acne, I never would have gained the empathy that I now possess. I never would have really understood how acne can be both terribly physically and psychologically disfiguring.

When I was a teen, I saw acne as a curse. Now that I'm a working adult in a people-centered career, having had acne was a blessing in disguise. Of course, this is only because Accutane helped me in the past.

From what I've seen personally in others and from what I've gone through myself, acne tends to erode arrogance, and gives way to humility and empathy.

Stay strong everyone, and know that once you've persevered through this, you will become an even more empathetic and courageous person.

With that said, I know all this probably doesn't mean much to you now if you're currently suffering through that damned giant zit that appeared on the middle of your forehead the night before a big family/friend gathering/social event...

MemberMember
(@thedarkknight)

Posted : 07/10/2014 11:43 pm

Id have a lot more time and money lol. I wouldnt know how to act or what to worry about if i had clear skin.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/11/2014 12:39 pm

Lol @ the above comment. I would be a millionaire. If i didn't have acne, I would be more of a girly girl just for the fun of it and wear makeup and wear my hair down.

MemberMember
(@5beauty)

Posted : 07/11/2014 12:54 pm

Consume your thought in smth more useful

Check out dermablend's new ad with Cassandra Bankson.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/11/2014 2:27 pm

Another one:

If I didn't have acne, would eat tons of ice cream.

MemberMember
(@s0overit)

Posted : 07/13/2014 2:08 am

I'd be able to have my skin exposed in the summer. I have to cover up all the time and we all no it just aggravates the skin more, but unfortunatley I can't wear backless dresses without a cover up. I would enjoy being at the beach in the summer. I would go on dates. I would live life happily without constantly being stressed out about my skin breakouts. I would be more social. I would look at people in the eye... etc etc. Life would be better

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 07/13/2014 2:45 am

I would have a gf.