Notifications
Clear all

Just Cant Deal Anymore.....

MemberMember
(@samuilover)

Posted : 07/01/2014 8:50 am

Hey guys.

I've just found this forum on the internet and I'm hoping I can get some sensible, workable ideas from you all.

I am 42 years old and since the end of last year I have started suffering with severe what I think is 'hormonal' acne. I get extremely painful lumps, sometimes with white inside sometimes just red, on my chin and jawline. I also get small ones around the side of my nose and now have a similar thing in the corner of my eye.

I never suffered with acne as a teenager and was on the pill from the age of 15 until approximately 33. I've never had children but even during my pill free time my skin was fine. Its never been perfect but its been pretty OK.

I went to see my doctor at the beginning of this year and he started me on Yasmin (which I'd been on before) and it worked wonders. My skin cleared and was beautiful. But unfortunately during some routine bloodwork he found that I had a slightly raised cholesterol and took me off them.

He then told me there was nothing more 'regular' medicine could do for me and referred me to a dermatologist. Whilst this guy was very nice he asked me to bathe my skin in cold black tea and use Physiotens cream. This just made it worse.

In the previous 4 or so months it has got very much worse and rather than appearing around the time of my monthly cycle, its now there constantly and never goes away.

I went back to my med centre for a second opinion as its really starting to get me down and the new doctor has put me on Dianette. I'm on my second month now and cant see any improvement at all.

My skin is constantly dry and flaky where the spots are and as soon as one goes down a new one appears.

I try and maintain a 'clean' diet where I can and cut out bread and potatoes for a while but this didn't seem to help at all. I've tried using Agnus Castrus and that made no difference either.

I really am at the end of ideas, even after scouring the internet for months. Its really starting to depress me now

Any suggestions gratefully received.

MemberMember
(@sam-d)

Posted : 07/02/2014 8:38 am

There are so many suggestions, most of which never worked for me. I eat well, I exercise, I feel pretty healthy. I still get cysts and disgusting pustules. I know that some things cause acne for me: milk/dairy, flaxseed, and apple cider vinegar. These things probably don't affect you the same way. Acne is so weird, and so individual.

The two things I can say that might help you: One, you're absolutely not alone. I would give nearly anything to not have had to deal with painful, cystic acne until the age of 42. And two, that stressing about it and obsessing about it absolutely is the worst possible thing you can do. I have helped mild acne explode into moderate to severe acne solely because I become obsessive about looking at it and covering it up and thinking about it incessantly and letting it control my life. When I stop looking at it in the mirror and feeling the impending doom because of it, I notice that after a couple weeks, it has subsided. Maybe not totally, but definitely to a noticeable degree. This has proven to be true a couple times. It's incredibly hard not to care about, but I know that thinking about it is one of the best things you can do to make it much worse.

MemberMember
(@samuilover)

Posted : 07/02/2014 9:41 am

No help?