Notifications
Clear all

Ipl For Red Mark/hyperpigmentation?

MemberMember
(@dtb)

Posted : 07/01/2014 6:42 am

Hi,

I've got some hyperpigmentation down the side of my face from where I used tea tree oil concentrate on acne a few years ago. There was initially more damage to the skin, but I've since had a series of dermaroller treatments which seem to have assuaged a lot of the damage.

However, there is still some redness and ingrown hairs (the damage is basically along my jaw line, where I have facial hair). I was told that the red marks were 'vascular' and that I also had some ingrown hairs in the area, and as such, IPL would be a good treatment.

I'm just a bit sceptical because I've read a lot of reviews on here that are quite critical of IPL. Do you think the use of IPL or laser can be effective solely for the purpose of reducing hyperpigmentation? Are there any other options that anyone would recommend?

As ever, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

DTB

MemberMember
(@dtb)

Posted : 07/06/2014 4:55 pm

Sorry to bump this, but does anyone have any advice?

MemberMember
(@420blazeitfgt)

Posted : 07/06/2014 6:32 pm

IPL doesn't do anything but cost money and make you look worse for a few days. I've done enough of them and researched enough on them to know this.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 07/07/2014 8:52 am

i have had IPL's done for years they work very well but you need to have multiple passes done on each mark to get great results. it is the only thing that works on my red and brown marks and broken capillaries i recommend it highly! the place i go to does a spot treatment for like $120 so its not too bad of a deal and they can do them 1 month apart. for bad red marks it takes a few sessions for me to get rid of them. good luck and do your research and get a test spot done if you are unsure about it.

MemberMember
(@dtb)

Posted : 07/10/2014 4:59 pm

Thankyou both for the responses! I'll look into it more!

Out of curiosity, are there any other treatments people would recommend for redness?

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 07/11/2014 8:21 am

you can do v-beam for redness and there is something called the medlite laser they are doing now but those are both lasers and ipl is not laser so safer in my opinion. you can also get tca chemical peels done too but you would need a series of them and the downtime is a hassle because it can take a week for the peeling to completely be done. the only reason i ever get ipl is because its easy and fast and i can go right back to work (i just put makeup on the spots that were zapped) and then each day the red marks will lighten so really there is no downtime. now when they zap my brown spots those will scab up and get very dark and then in 4-5 days they will fall off but its nothing i cant cover up with makeup.

MemberMember
(@dtb)

Posted : 07/17/2014 6:41 pm

Thankyou for the response! So just to clarify: you think IPL is safer and less hassle than the laser?

I've had chemical peels, and tbh, they didn't do much for me :/

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 07/18/2014 8:56 am

yeah for sure i think ipl works so great for the red marks and stuff and i feel that it is like super safe but you do have to make sure that you get a test spot done first to see how your skin reacts. also the place you go to has to have lots of experience in doing it and they need to go over each spot many times like most places will do at least 3 but the last place i went to did 10 zaps on each spot. this lady has been working there for over 20 years and had a lot of experience so i trusted her but man was i red when i left the office -ha! after a few hours though i was back to normal coloring.

i do have a consult for the medlite laser on 7/28. i have melasma that is starting to show up in bigger sections of my face so i am going to see about doing this laser to try and get rid of it but if they want to do IPL on me then i will just do that. you should really go to a skin place that does all those things and see what they think will work the fastest for you. that way you are getting the most bang for your buck.

one thing i will say is dont buy a package because most places like to sell those and if you dont get good results then you are stuck with it.