Notifications
Clear all

Diet Help? Ketogenic? Bodybuilding? Good Skin And Growth?

MemberMember
(@dchinot)

Posted : 06/30/2014 11:59 pm

Hello!

I have some diet questions but first a little bit of background about myself...

I'm 16, 5'7, 136lbs., I love to exercise and lift weights. I'm trying to build muscle over the summer and get a nice physique.

I took accutane (40mg for 5 months) 10 months ago and I was clear for a little while. Recently i've been having breakouts around my cheeks especially in that area between my cheeks and chin parallel to the edges of my lips. I have acne on my chest and the back of my neck (accutane cleared up my back, it's still clear). I am hygienic and always keep myself clean.

I know diet and acne have a correlation. I tried the 75% raw vegetables diet (organic vegetables) and found my skin looking better. But i felt the diet was low in protein and since i'm a growing adolescent who is trying to build muscle i found the diet was hindering my overall growth.

The Ketogenic Diet

I stumbled upon the Ketogenic diet a few days ago. The diet changes the way our cells get energy by using a lot of FAT to fuel them. I thought fat caused breakouts, but apparently the diet changes the way we use fat by activating ketonen cells in our bodies. These cells fuel the brain more efficiently than glucose does (I'm studying for SAT over the summer so i want my brain to stay focused and not get foggy). The diet consist of mostly fatty meats and some green vegetables. Calories are 75%fat 20% protein and 5%carb. The diet is also suppose to help people lose weight and gain muscle. Once in a ketosis state, one can benefit from intermittent fast without feeling drowsy. On the diet, people consume bacon and eggs along with things like grass-fed cow butter. I don't think i'd have difficulty eating these items. Supposedly the diet doesn't cause an increase in heart attacks because empty carbs and high sugar cause the arteries to become inflamed thus eating no carbs will not cause the arteries to become inflamed. I have not conducted enough cardiac medical research to be able to agree with that statement.

The Diet Claims to;

-improve mental clarity

-lose body fat

-gain muscle

(sounds pretty good)

Check out

She has tons of energy, a great body, and is 46 years old!! Skin looks good for not having make up on. Check out the entire video, only 4 minutes long. She poses some positive reasons why the diet is beneficial. I've checked out quite a few of her videos and the science behind the diet.

So my biggest questions are;

Has anyone tried the Ketogenic diet?

Does it work for acne? Does it give one more physical energy and mental focus?

Any acne free protein shake?

How can i get glowing skin and slow down aging with a diet that is good for muscle building?

All constructive advice is appreciated!!

Thanks for your responses

~Chinto D.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/01/2014 8:36 am

Try intermittent fasting instead.

MemberMember
(@dchinot)

Posted : 07/01/2014 10:03 am

Sounds good. Would you recommend the Ketogenic diet to help with acne, anti-aging, and cognitive function?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/01/2014 10:47 am

I recommend intermittent fasting and consuming real, whole, nutrient dense primarily plant based foods while avoiding any high glycemic meal, drink or snack. And to not be afraid of real fats. i.e. butter is better for you than margarine/crisco which should absolutely be avoided. Full fat yogurt & cheeses over reduced or nonfat. although dairy should be limited. Consume only fermented dairy and think of it as a condiment. And that is only if you are not intolerant, in which case it should be avoided. Grains should also be limited and avoided completely if you are intolerant/have digestion issues.

very low carb diets can impair thyroid function.

MemberMember
(@dchinot)

Posted : 07/01/2014 10:57 am

Ok so how would a basic meal I eat be laid out?

MemberMember
(@dchinot)

Posted : 07/01/2014 11:14 am

Would a typical meal I consume be a chicken breast and green vegetables (broccoli, asparagus, celery)?

For meal 2: beans/corn ok to eat with some brown rice and vegetables (could i switch the brown rice with sweet potatoes from time to time)?

For dinner should i just have vegetables (possibly with quinoa)?

Is it ok to have stemmed vegetables (lightly salted) as i prefer them over raw?

Is there any "best" diet out there?
MemberMember
(@ocnblitzgmail-com)

Posted : 07/01/2014 11:18 pm

I did a keto diet to go from 240 to 193 lbs, it did not have much effect on my skin but it sure was fun eating all the meat I wanted and lose weight.

post-377295-0-88409300-1404274691.jpg

post-377295-0-88409300-1404274691.jpg

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/02/2014 11:46 am

Would a typical meal I consume be a chicken breast and green vegetables (broccoli, asparagus, celery)?

For meal 2: beans/corn ok to eat with some brown rice and vegetables (could i switch the brown rice with sweet potatoes from time to time)?

For dinner should i just have vegetables (possibly with quinoa)?

Is it ok to have stemmed vegetables (lightly salted) as i prefer them over raw?

Is there any "best" diet out there?

those meals are fine. The best diet is high in nutrient dense plant foods/herbs/teas/spice, low to moderate glycemic impact. Adequate but not too much protein. And nothing you have an intolerance for. You can accomplish that many ways.

But don't overcook vegetables. They should still have bright colors. And do eat a good amount raw.

MemberMember
(@dchinot)

Posted : 07/02/2014 6:31 pm

Hey @josh* Thanks for your input and congrats on the fat loss! Did you feel an improvement in cognitive function while on the Keto diet?

Thank you @Alternavista I'll stay strict with it and eat more raw vegetables. What would you consider too much protein for someone who is weight training?

I currently average 60-70g's of protein daily But I'm going to increase it to 85-95g's once i get my protein shake supplement. **I'm not eating starches with animal products to help with digestion.

-Btw i read up on intermittent fasting and I'm going to give it a shot :)

Below are all the meals i have consumed today;

(All meals at least 2 hours apart)

~Breakfast; Melon

~Lunch; Black Beans w/ sweet potatoes and steamed vegetables (asparagus, brocoli, celery, carrots) (Post workout meal)

~Second Lunch; Chicken w/ steamed asparagus, brocoli, celery, carrots

~Third Lunch; Black Beans w/ brown rice & half a corn

~Dinner; Smoothie (Bunch of Kale, 1/2 avocado, 1 apple, 1 cucumber, Chia seeds)

About 65g's of protein today

MemberMember
(@ocnblitzgmail-com)

Posted : 07/05/2014 2:52 am

Hey @josh* Thanks for your input and congrats on the fat loss! Did you feel an improvement in cognitive function while on the Keto diet?

Thank you @Alternavista I'll stay strict with it and eat more raw vegetables. What would you consider too much protein for someone who is weight training?

I currently average 60-70g's of protein daily But I'm going to increase it to 85-95g's once i get my protein shake supplement. **I'm not eating starches with animal products to help with digestion.

-Btw i read up on intermittent fasting and I'm going to give it a shot

Below are all the meals i have consumed today;

(All meals at least 2 hours apart)

~Breakfast; Melon

~Lunch; Black Beans w/ sweet potatoes and steamed vegetables (asparagus, brocoli, celery, carrots) (Post workout meal)

~Second Lunch; Chicken w/ steamed asparagus, brocoli, celery, carrots

~Third Lunch; Black Beans w/ brown rice & half a corn

~Dinner; Smoothie (Bunch of Kale, 1/2 avocado, 1 apple, 1 cucumber, Chia seeds)

About 65g's of protein today

I definitely felt an improvement in longer cardio sessions and workout sessions, not sure about cognitive, its been a long time since I've been in ketosis.

Once your body switches over to using fats as fuel you will feel normal, or even better, especially for exercise where you're doing medium intensity over a long period (1 hour)

Just remember not to be scared of fats, they are your new fuel source. The only bad fats are artificial trans fats. Meat has natural trans fats in them that are fine.