Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Otterowen

Steroid Treatment For Acne

For a little background prior, I was diagnosed with inflammatory acne by my dermatologist when I was around 12. 3 years later, at 15, I have been under a rigorous regimen that involves the following:

Antibiotic 100 mg doxycycline monohydrate

Benzaclin (Benzoyl Peroxide/Clindamycin blend)

Aczone(Dapsone Gel)

Differin (Adapalene Gel)

For my teen years so far, my acne has been actually quite mild. Every once in a while I have a bit of a breakout but for the most part I have kept it under decent control.

Now to the story. I just had my wisdom teeth removed last week and was placed on a steroid and a different antibiotic to quell any inflammation or infection associated with the procedure. I am currently staying off of my doxycycline oral antibiotic as I am still finishing the one my oral surgeon is providing me. Prior to the surgery, I was worried that I would break out as doxycycline has been in my regimen for a while now and takes the edge away from my acne. However, for the 3 or 4 days that I was taking the steroid, my face cleared up to the point where I had absolutely no visual acne. I was elated. My skin was softer to the touch than ever before and was a healthy color. I'm seeing my dermatologist again next week for a checkup and asked my mother if we could bring up adding a steroid to my regimen long term. My mother informed me that we could certainly bring it up but that she does know of some long term risks associated with taking a steroid. Now that I have finished the steroid for a few days, my acne has rebounded to its mild to moderate form and I am back on the same schedule. I guess the main question is: Is there any medication out there in the big world that mimics the effects of the steroid I was given without such serious risks in the long run?

Thank you!

Owen