Notifications
Clear all

Cant Get Accutane Am I Hopeless?

MemberMember
(@sankofa1)

Posted : 06/30/2014 8:40 am

So my face has been breaking out in cystic acne daily...kind of spreading...went to dermatologist who sensed I have severe depression and wont give me Accutane now, He suggested I use ampicillin, finacea, and veltin. Is Accutane the only way I feel like my face is gonna be scarred now

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 06/30/2014 10:36 am

You could get your doctor to write a referral to your dermatologist stating that its safe for you to take Accutane. Or you could go to a different dermatologist for a second opinion.

Again a lot of its going to depend on how bad it is.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 06/30/2014 1:47 pm

No, the situation is absolutely not hopeless!!

You should discuss your concerns with a psychiatrist or other certified mental health professional about how acne is affecting your life. If they write a note to your dermatologist explaining that you are under the care of a mental health professional and they believe the benefits of accutane outweight it's risks, the dermatologist shouldn't have any issues.

Additionally, if you can - get a different opinion. A dermatologist is not a mental health professional and they should not be able to diagnose you with depression. You should still probably discuss your mental health symptoms with a professional before going on the drug to be on the safe side.

MemberMember
(@sankofa1)

Posted : 07/03/2014 12:24 am

I discussed it with a mental health professional who feels the drug is dangerous...since taking the new medicine my skin has broken out even worse. and yeah I do have depression but its cuz of my skin....is Accutane the only solution for severe cystic acne? and is it really dangerous to take if you have depression?

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 07/03/2014 9:31 am

I discussed it with a mental health professional who feels the drug is dangerous...since taking the new medicine my skin has broken out even worse. and yeah I do have depression but its cuz of my skin....is Accutane the only solution for severe cystic acne? and is it really dangerous to take if you have depression?

Lots of doctors dont know much about Accutane other than the few bad reports it got over the years. If it was as bad as some say it wouldnt be on the market still. Again like you said acne is the underlying problem for your depression so I think youd be find on it. But Accutane definitely isnt the only treatment though lots of people clear up with other treatments. Did you just start the new topicals? It usually takes 3 months to see results and gets worse before better.

Have you tired hormonal treatments such as birth control and sprio?

MemberMember
(@sankofa1)

Posted : 07/03/2014 1:02 pm

I cant take birth control due to blood pressure issues....I know a big factor is my stress issues. right now I have to huge cysts on both sides of my front cheeks. im scared these will scar. so cystic acne can be cured with the use of topicals u think? is it possible it has to worsen before it gets better? also does cystic acne always scar? Im wondering like who is gonna want me with dents and scars all over my face

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 07/03/2014 1:33 pm

I cant take birth control due to blood pressure issues....I know a big factor is my stress issues. right now I have to huge cysts on both sides of my front cheeks. im scared these will scar. so cystic acne can be cured with the use of topicals u think? is it possible it has to worsen before it gets better? also does cystic acne always scar? Im wondering like who is gonna want me with dents and scars all over my face

Some people have success on topicals some dont. You really just have to give it a shot and give them 3 plus months to work which is hard in it self. Retinoids causes the skin cells to turn over faster which causes purging in the first couple months while it clears your pores. But cystic acne doesnt always scar. Be gentle and dont pick your skin for sure though. Dont get caught you in the what if and no one will like me if I have scars cause I guarantee you that wont be the case. I can tell just by looking at your pic you are attractive and 99 percent of guys dont care about acne or some scars. Acne hurts own own self image more than others.

But remember dont count Accutane out either thats always a option and Im sure you could get on it if all else fails.

MemberMember
(@skinnie)

Posted : 07/06/2014 8:20 pm

No. I "cured" my cystic acne with Tazorac. I put the air-marks because I'm completely clear, but I still have to use Tazorac to stay clear of cystic acne.

Also, I have mild scarring and guys still like me... Even without makeup it's hardly noticeable. And most guys (that are worth it, anyway) appreciate women for more than just appearance. Attraction is complex and includes elements of personality along with appearance.

MemberMember
(@sankofa1)

Posted : 07/07/2014 8:25 am

how severe was yours skinnie??

MemberMember
(@jmtm18017)

Posted : 07/15/2014 6:37 pm

Obtain a different mental health professional... some are more practical than others. The one you talked to must have always had perfect skin...