Notifications
Clear all

Zinc For Acne

MemberMember
(@trina6241)

Posted : 06/29/2014 6:31 pm

Seriously considering trying Zinc for my acne. I get acne all over my mouth & chin, and i also have tons of white spots on my fingernails, on every nail. I figured it is worth the try since im 17 & i dont want to take birth control. Is there a certain brand that is better? Can i take any brand?

MemberMember
(@midgieo)

Posted : 06/29/2014 10:21 pm

Zinc is great to take to help reduce scarring and help with skin health. I find a liquid Zinc supplement really easy to take and absorb, 5 drops in a glass of water. I use a New Zealand brand called Clinicians, but if you are elsewhere, I would suggest visiting your chemist or health shop and asking for a good liquid zinc supplement.

MemberMember
(@rudy23)

Posted : 06/30/2014 3:48 am

Go for chelated zinc as that is the form of zinc that is absorbed more easily by the body. I recommend the brand Solgar (It is a little bit expensive but it is worth every penny, trust me). I just bought "Zinc for Acne", brand "Good'N Natural" which has also vitamin A, C, E, B-6 and Rose Hips (It's a fruit apparently but I know nothing about it) but the form of zinc is "Zinc Gluconate" (The body absorbs very little of this processed form) which is not good and definitely not natural. I bought this supplement simply because it is cheap and I've read good reviews.

MemberMember
(@rudy23)

Posted : 06/30/2014 4:30 am

Sorry for double posting but I just found this interesting study and I had to post here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3630857

The study is basically implying that zinc picolinate has significantly better absorption than zinc gluconate and zinc citrate.

MemberMember
(@sonicx2218)

Posted : 07/05/2014 1:23 pm

I take zinc picoliante and it has cured a large portion of my acne. Would recommend.

MemberMember
(@rudy23)

Posted : 07/05/2014 4:44 pm

I take zinc picoliante and it has cured a large portion of my acne. Would recommend.

How much time did it take for you to see the difference and how much do you take per day?

MemberMember
(@sonicx2218)

Posted : 07/05/2014 5:17 pm

I take 15-30mg daily depending on my face that afternoon. If I'm being honest, I noticed results in only a couple days. I would break out terribly every day without fail, and after 2 days I noticed new acne wasn't appearing like it always had. After like a month of this regimen, the headache of acne was halved. Note that I also supplemented with Magnesium, that had a small part in it as well.

MemberMember
(@rudy23)

Posted : 07/06/2014 5:14 am

What brand do you use if I may know? I was thinking of buying Solgar or Now Foods.

MemberMember
(@sonicx2218)

Posted : 07/09/2014 11:57 pm

I use Thorne products...though I might end up switching due to not wanting to be spending $50 every 2 months on probiotics and zinc haha. I think as long as it's the same form of zinc and the amazon reviews of it are favorable, it should work.

I started with 50mg of the cheapest possible, and while it worked, it made me nauseous. Now seems like a pretty good brand overall. I've purchased oils from them that I was happy with.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/12/2014 7:24 am

I did a 3 month course of chelated zinc (opti zinc) for my acne and it did nothing. Yesterday i started taking 44 mg of zinc picoliante and i plan to continue for a month, maybe 2 to see if the change in form will help. I think people that see dramatic differences in their skin from supplementation are incredibly fortunate. I could have started a health food store with all the supplements i have bought since 2011 (did some spring cleaning and threw all of them out)

MemberMember
(@sonicx2218)

Posted : 07/13/2014 2:03 am

I think people that see dramatic differences in their skin from supplementation are incredibly fortunate.

Yea. It's crazy how acne is so different from person to person. One can take D3 pills and be cured...some experiment with many supplements and see literally no improvements. I have experimented and found a couple things that help significantly, but still no 100% cure yet. Working on that cavemen reg and getting some more blood and allergy tests to help figure it out.

I spent like 3 years just to find a couple of things that help my acne. It's maddening when someone tries 1 thing and it cures them haah.