Double Edged Razor ...

Notifications
Clear all

Double Edged Razor Blade

MemberMember
(@jmtm18017)

Posted : 06/29/2014 2:36 pm

I know this is a random comment... and I'm a female, so it's not as if I shave my face... however...

I did purchase a double edged safety razor a year ago, and have found it to greatly reduce skin problems on areas I shave. I'd get acne type lesions, ingrown hair, etc., with the regular store bought razors.

I think the beauty of the double edged safety razor is that you can replace the blades cheaply and frequently, there aren't as many blades to catch bacteria and dead skin cells, the razor itself can be cleaned in scrubbing bubbles and really hot water. There's no "moisture strip" that could turn gooey and potentially cause your skin to break out. Basically, the razor is more sanitary than the regular store bought variety or the electric razor. It also paid for itself very quickly.

I use a brush to make foamy soap (with bar soap) and the shaves I get from it (it's a Muhle) last twice as long as the really expensive multi-blade razors I get in the drug store.

I imagine a male shaving his face could use any non-comedogenic soap and make a lather with a shaving brush. The type I purchased was specifically for men, yet I had no difficulty using it without slashing myself. Just thought I'd put this comment out there, since I'm fairly certain the design of the double-edged safety razors would be beneficial to a guy with skin problems.

If you google "Blade and Badger", there is a whole forum specifically devoted to double edged safety razors.

MemberMember
(@xc60)

Posted : 06/30/2014 12:13 am

I have tried using one, and found it too aggressive for my oily, curly, and coarse facial hair. I had to take a pass on it. Sorry, it was a no go!!!

MemberMember
(@daveoh)

Posted : 09/01/2014 5:04 pm

I started using a DE razor, and I've noticed that while getting a closer shave, my face isn't breaking out nearly as bad. I use a Merkur 34C handle with a Merkur blade, Proraso shave soap, and I do it after I've showered. I wasn't sure how it was going to work out, but now that I'm getting the hang of not nicking myself, I'm liking it. I use witch hazel as an after shave, and it's been great so far. Takes a bit more work than the electric, but it's worth it.

MemberMember
(@tpower)

Posted : 09/04/2014 1:12 am

Double-edge razors never worked for me. My facial hair is thick and dark and when I shave with one it's literally like I didn't shave at all! Plus, it is super irritating for my skin. I can't believe that there are so different opinions on this. Some people absolutely love it while others hate it...

MemberMember
(@munsoned)

Posted : 11/04/2014 1:21 pm

I used the newer stuff for years with those over priced money pit cartridges and I always had issues from shaving. I eventually purchased some older Gillettes ( slim adjustable and super speed ) and good blades like astra or shark which I replace once a week and you couldn't pay me to go back to any other type of razor outside of a quality single edge. A good shaving bowl, brush, and soap are a must as well. i shave straight out of the shower.

The vary in opinions on these may be in part do to the quality of shaving stuff you are using. Shaving is one of those things where I think you want to invest in quality stuff. Especially with the kinds of issues we all deal with like acne, irritation ect..But to each their own. But for me, they can take their proglides and the rest of that cheap plastic junk and stuff it.

MemberMember
(@mattcb)

Posted : 05/29/2015 2:14 pm

Don't write off using a safety razor if you didn't get a good shave your first time. There are many variations of razors and blades from very mild to super aggressive. It may take a bit of time to find the right combination, but it yields much better results. Since switching to wet shaving my face has been much clearer and the shaves much more pleasant. I still have a few acne scars I have to watch out for, but all in all a better experience.