Notifications
Clear all

Plain(No Sugar) Yogurt. Do You Find It Aggrivates You?

MemberMember
(@alicecooper)

Posted : 06/28/2014 2:34 pm

The reason I ask is this article here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3038963/#B103

Specifically the paragraph under figure 1.

It says "We also find it noteworthy that of three large population studies linking dairy consumption (most notably milk) and acne, none made a positive correlation between fermented dairy (e.g. yogurt) and acne"

I havent regularly had dairy products in years because of acne, its generally unhealthy, and its gross to me. HOWEVER, It would be a great tool for bulking(bodybuilding) if it doesnt AGGRIVATE acne.

I have to stress PLAIN yogurt here because it CANNOT HAVE SUGAR IN IT. I realize most people dont eat the plain, bland yogurt and will have mostly eaten the flavored and sweetened ones which would obviously lead to more acne.

This would actually make sense to me if plain yogurt did not aggrivate acne because I have linked it to blood sugar and insulin spikes.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/28/2014 3:17 pm

No plain, full fat yogurt does not cause me any problems. I don't eat much though. I advise everyone to consider dairy to be a condiment, not a food group. I add a few spoonfuls to my fruit, soup, smoothie, etc.

MemberMember
(@alicecooper)

Posted : 06/28/2014 4:49 pm

No plain, full fat yogurt does not cause me any problems. I don't eat much though. I advise everyone to consider dairy to be a condiment, not a food group. I add a few spoonfuls to my fruit, soup, smoothie, etc.

what about regular milk? does regular milk break you out?

MemberMember
(@alicecooper)

Posted : 07/01/2014 2:13 pm

im surprised no one has more input on this.

by this theory, cheese should also be okay.

i think the problem here is not many people have the discipline to add one food back into their diet at a time. im doin it now. peanut butter surprisingly doesnt aggravate me

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/01/2014 3:04 pm

Fermented dairy is better than not fermented. But it's still individual. And still should be limited. There are too many ways dairy can impact acne whether you notice it or not. (and cancer, too)

I do not drink milk anymore and have no desire to do so. But I have no issues with foods or coffee that may have milk added that I occasionally consume outside of my home.

MemberMember
(@alicecooper)

Posted : 07/02/2014 9:11 pm

There are too many ways dairy can impact acne whether you notice it or not.

like what

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/03/2014 8:57 am

like what

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/294804-acne-dairy-and-cancer-the-5alpha-p-link/

MemberMember
(@alicecooper)

Posted : 07/15/2014 1:16 pm

like what

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/294804-acne-dairy-and-cancer-the-5alpha-p-link/

did you read that whole article? it was confusing but i believe it still only linked the IGF-1 in milk to acne and not other factors. The 5alpha p link was to cancer not acne

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/15/2014 7:32 pm

like what

did you read that whole article? it was confusing but i believe it still only linked the IGF-1 in milk to acne and not other factors. The 5alpha p link was to cancer not acne

5alpha-P is a precursor to DHT. Did you read the thread?

MemberMember
(@alicecooper)

Posted : 07/22/2014 2:17 pm

like what

5alpha-P is a precursor to DHT. Did you read the thread?

I had a hard time finding articles that mentioned DHT as anything more than a hormone that "plays a part in acne formation".

I also dont think its that simple. There are things that raise DHT that are good for your health like exercise and i think i even read green tea increases it. Also, a high saturated fat diet increases it. Paleo is high in saturated fat. My diet is high in saturated fat. none of this is a direct link to causing acne

For me, there is much less of a link to increasing DHT as an aggravator of acne compared to increasing insulin or blood sugar. It only takes a few days of eating high glycemic food or only a day or two of eating sugary foods to break out. Not the same for exercise, high fat, and DHT.

I have now gone a months of eating cheese, and then a month of eating yogurt and I am 100% certain they do not aggravate my acne. I definitely cannot do this with any high glycemic foods or foods with sugar in them.

I stand by the article I posted and I believe the main and possibly only component of milk that aggravates acne is the IGF-1. I also suspect that the insulin index of yogurt may be incorrect but that is just a thought

MemberMember
(@alicecooper)

Posted : 07/29/2014 4:31 pm

last bump for discussion

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 07/31/2014 4:44 pm

I have yogurt twice a day most days, never had any problems with it. The same goes for cheese and sour cream. I used to get cysts from milk and ice cream.