Notifications
Clear all

Dermatologist Appointment Tomorrow (Nhs)

MemberMember
(@mrwarden88)

Posted : 06/28/2014 7:18 am

So I have my first dermatologist appointment tomorrow. For the last 2.5 years I have been to my doctors DOZENS of times and been prescribed several things. Topicals I have tried: Differin, Zineryt, Azelaic Acid, Benzoyl Peroxide, Sulfer Soup (non-prescription). Oral treatments I have tried: Tetracycline, Erythromycin, Doxycycline, Oxytetracycline. Other things I have tried: Cut out dairy/gluten for over a year, spent more time in sun. Overall my acne is mild but it seems about 65% of the time I have at least one (typically two) BIG cysts brewing on my face and about four other smaller spots. I am 25 and a half years old and my acne has not improved at all since I was 20 (in fact sometimes I think it my be slightly worse). Do you, users of this website, think that I will be prescribed accutane based on this information? As I said my acne is NOT severe but is VERY persistent and it effects me psychologically.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 06/28/2014 8:38 am

If you explain to your Derm what you just said I wouldnt see why not.

MemberMember
(@nicolascartier)

Posted : 06/28/2014 9:43 am

Accutane is most often considered a "last resort" treatment, because of how powerful and its potential adverse effects. However, from what you shared in your post, it seems like you're at that stage and that's completely okay! Your skin is perhaps not your most complex organ, but it sure is the most volatile and unique to each and every one of us. Like you, I tried tones of things too and none of them worked. Accutane cleared everything up in no time and has made my skin a billion times better. Just make sure to be well aware of all the side-effects that may occur (some of them are nasty...).

All the users in this section are familiar with this treatment and have shared their views and opinions. So don't worry, we're all in this together! You'll find plenty of support here :)

In any case, best of luck with everything and keep smiling ;)

MemberMember
(@mrwarden88)

Posted : 06/29/2014 10:39 am

I had my appointment. The derm refused to give me accutane because apparently my acne is not severe enough. I protested. He said the best he can do is book me in for ANOTHER referral with another doctor for a second opinion. I was annoyed because I thought I'd have to wait 3.5 months (again) for this. They marked me a priority case, I am going back Monday the 7th. What a waste of time.

MemberMember
(@harry1993)

Posted : 06/29/2014 10:45 am

I had my appointment. The derm refused to give me accutane because apparently my acne is not severe enough. I protested. He said the best he can do is book me in for ANOTHER referral with another doctor for a second opinion. I was annoyed because I thought I'd have to wait 3.5 months (again) for this. They marked me a priority case, I am going back Monday the 7th. What a waste of time.

He sounds like a dick.