Notifications
Clear all

The No Cleanser Regiment.. Acne Solution?

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 06/27/2014 7:18 am

So basically I've been washing my face for the longest time with a product called Clean & Clear acne clearing cleanser, and would see a pimple once every 2 days. Decided to stop using cleansers completely, and just wash my face with water...and guess what, now I get a pimple like once a week!

What do you guys think? Is there any sort of reason behind this? I find it a bit weird that ive been so clean with my face for the past couple of months, and to think that using nothing on my face would actually solve the acne problem?

Thanks

MemberMember
(@sue7)

Posted : 06/28/2014 2:42 am

i have also had the same experience...was using various solutions for acne including salicylic acid cleanser and BP 2.5% for months and no result..breakouts continued 3-4per week. so i stopped using all products and simply when on cleaning 2 times with a very mild herbal neem face wash and no acne for 2 weeks straight ...also my skin was really damaged from years of treatment....i am on proactiv now for 3 weeks and it has been okay for my acne but made a skin really smooth(strange! cause most people complain its drying and makes skin flaky), now i will use minimum skincare products and tropical creams..i am now focusing on diet change and healthy lifestyle.

May be the cleanser was irritating your skin. Something the skin just needs a break. Just my experience.

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 06/28/2014 10:44 pm

i have also had the same experience...was using various solutions for acne including salicylic acid cleanser and BP 2.5% for months and no result..breakouts continued 3-4per week. so i stopped using all products and simply when on cleaning 2 times with a very mild herbal neem face wash and no acne for 2 weeks straight ...also my skin was really damaged from years of treatment....i am on proactiv now for 3 weeks and it has been okay for my acne but made a skin really smooth(strange! cause most people complain its drying and makes skin flaky), now i will use minimum skincare products and tropical creams..i am now focusing on diet change and healthy lifestyle.

May be the cleanser was irritating your skin. Something the skin just needs a break. Just my experience.

Would you recommend still using cleansers? Cause my face tends to get dry after using the cleanser i use. I tried using cetaphil too, just made my face dry lol.

MemberMember
(@sue7)

Posted : 06/29/2014 2:27 am

Would you recommend still using cleansers? Cause my face tends to get dry after using the cleanser i use. I tried using cetaphil too, just made my face dry lol.

I don't know what kind of acne you have...mine are non-cystic acne, right now i have only 3-4 active pimples and hyperpigmentation spots on my face. I believe all AHAs and BP tend to dry the skin and sometimes over dries and irritates....so, i myself will to shift to non-comedegenic, mild face wash with no BP and AHA, just for pure cleaning once a day and salicylic acid at night after i am done with proactiv...well, it all depends on how my skin reacts, no. of breakouts ,etc...but this is the plan, you can try it too.

My skin texture is returning to normal right now, so don't want to damage it more..will concentrate on my dark spots next..

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 06/29/2014 5:19 am

I don't know what kind of acne you have...mine are non-cystic acne, right now i have only 3-4 active pimples and hyperpigmentation spots on my face. I believe all AHAs and BP tend to dry the skin and sometimes over dries and irritates....so, i myself will to shift to non-comedegenic, mild face wash with no BP and AHA, just for pure cleaning once a day and salicylic acid at night after i am done with proactiv...well, it all depends on how my skin reacts, no. of breakouts ,etc...but this is the plan, you can try it too.

My skin texture is returning to normal right now, so don't want to damage it more..will concentrate on my dark spots next..

Well im on the same boat you are in, non cystic acne, face is basically clear at the moment except for some clogged pores (blackheads etc) and the dreaded hyperpigmentation.

What facial cleanser are you using at the moment?

MemberMember
(@sue7)

Posted : 06/29/2014 5:54 am

I am using the proactiv kit, cleanser, toner and bp from the last 3 weeks, it has 5 more weeks to go, but i stopped using all other products 2 weeks before that and had no new pimple..overall just 3-4 new pimples since 5 weeks, that do because i had a reaction with a new hair oil, but all is fine now. All my acne have dried, breakout reduced to minimum..after proactiv, i may switch to neutragena acne free or deep clean for day and some mild cleanser for night.Check if sodium laureth sulphate suits you before picking a face wash as it is moderately comedogenic and may not suit many...

Btw, how is cetaphil cleansing lotion for sensitive skin..?? There is not much point of me suggesting you products cause i am sure we live in different countries, so availability issues..

also, are you doing something for hyperpigmentation..??