Notifications
Clear all

Sun Exposure

MemberMember
(@codekid21)

Posted : 06/26/2014 4:09 pm

I would first like to note that I am well aware of the health risks associated with sun exposure, and the myth that sunlight is a "cure" of acne has been debunked.

My question is this: obviously, too much of ANYTHING is bad for you. All articles I have read immediately warn that sunlight only worsens acne, but I assume that's with those who get way too much exposure. Are moderate, controlled exposures to sunlight beneficial to getting rid of acne? I would think that small amounts of sunlight would be beneficial, since the suns rays are only harmful when too much is absorbed.

Thanks in advance!

MemberMember
(@sonicx2218)

Posted : 07/04/2014 5:52 pm

Sunlight is necessary, not helpful. We need it to produce vitamin d, which is a hormone, not a vitamin. Without proper levels, we develop things like autoimmune disorders and skin conditions. In excess, we develop skin cancer and other skin problems. It's a balancing act.

Also note that sunscreen reduces the levels of vitamin d produced immensely.

MemberMember
(@ocnblitzgmail-com)

Posted : 07/05/2014 2:57 am

I go out in the pool every day and to the dog park multiple times a week, my acne is pretty much 99.9% gone.

Edit : Just remember never get a sunburn. Sunburn is always extremely bad.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 07/07/2014 12:47 am

I would first like to note that I am well aware of the health risks associated with sun exposure, and the myth that sunlight is a "cure" of acne has been debunked.

My question is this: obviously, too much of ANYTHING is bad for you. All articles I have read immediately warn that sunlight only worsens acne, but I assume that's with those who get way too much exposure. Are moderate, controlled exposures to sunlight beneficial to getting rid of acne? I would think that small amounts of sunlight would be beneficial, since the suns rays are only harmful when too much is absorbed.

Thanks in advance!

Where did you read that sunlight worsens acne?

Sunlight can help acne for the following reasons:

1) vitamin D synthesis

2) sun exposure can dry oily skin

3) sunlight can kill bacteria present on skin

4) sunlight can kill overgrowths of demodex mites on skin

Remember that pimples take 1-3 weeks to form...so just because you go outside for a few days and then you get pimples doesn't mean anything. Those pimples were in the works long before then.