Notifications
Clear all

Cursed With Acne

MemberMember
(@anongirl9)

Posted : 06/26/2014 10:13 am

I've read posts on this site for a long time, but I finally caved in and made an account so I could make my own post.

I have no one else to vent to that would understand, so I'm just going to rant for a bit about the horrible effect acne has had on my life.

I started breaking out before I was even a teenager, I was around 12. It started out as just a few spots here and there on my face, but it got so much worse. I am now 19 and have it literally EVERYWHERE. I have it on my chest, my shoulders, arms, back, neck, and sometimes even my stomach. Oh yeah, let's not forget my ears... -.-

Its so embarrassing and even in 90 degree weather I constantly have to cover up. All these other girls get to wear cute bathing suits to go swimming in and I have to wear a shirt. I don't even remember what it's like to be able to go to the mall and just pick out whatever I wanted. Either the sleeves are too short, it comes down too far in the back, it comes down too far in the front, or the bottom comes up too high. My life is literally controlled by acne.

I have so much scarring and I don't even know if it'll ever go away. I'm tired of living like this, but I don't know what to do. I've tried everything.

What are you guys' thoughts on accutane? Have any of you ever taken it? I feel like that's my only other option.

MemberMember
(@oneproudmumma)

Posted : 07/10/2014 2:26 am

Hi AnonGirl9,

I am by no means an expert.. just a mum of a teen that has been suffering with Acne as well.

I would suggest that you talk to your Dr about Accutane.

You will find many different opinions here on the topic but I do believe it has its place.. just weigh up the pros and cons and your own situation.

I have seen first hand how debilitating it can be for a teenager to suffer through acne.. i wish you good luck and remember that it doesn't change the person that you are inside.. stay confident and strong and you will be a better person for it it the long run.

xx

MemberMember
(@thedarkknight)

Posted : 07/10/2014 10:46 pm

Anongirl9 you are not alone, many others can sympathize with the struggles you go through. Just like you I started getting acne when I was around 12 years old. Around 7th grade it started getting worse and then i had to deal with rude comments or jokes every once in awhile. Accutane might be a viable option for you but the side effects scare me.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/11/2014 5:02 am

Accutane is usually an option after you have exhausted other options. what else have you tried. I would recommend if you haven't tried anything to go from least invasive to most invasive

1. diet changes
  2. BP (the regimen)
  3. prescription (antimicrobial/topical)
  4. spiro (if you suspect its hormonal)
  5. accutane (your last resort)
MemberMember
(@goosy)

Posted : 07/11/2014 11:46 am

Hello guys I have suffered from Acne all my life. Was hoping to grow out of it but after lots of research and testing I took matters in my own hand. Below is what I do to stay clear:

• No dairy or sugar. I sweeten things with honey, fructose, xylitol or maple syrup.

• Eat lots of wholegrain, seeds & nuts, pulses, vegetables, lean protein

• Drink green tea and plenty of water. I have a coffee in the morning to get me going.

• Cleanse every night with a muslin cloth and water (any gentle cleanser would be fine, keep it simple) and follow up with pure chimp super one.

• Exercise at least 3 times a week

Good luck and heres to clear skin.

MemberMember
(@anongirl9)

Posted : 07/31/2014 9:10 am

@leelowe1, I have tried multiple things. I've tried face wash you can buy at walmart/any drug store, I've tried all natural treatments, and I've been to a dermatologist who prescribed me something about as worthless as rubbing dirt on my face. I even tried the caveman regimen but my face became so dry that it literally turned a brown color. I feel accutane might be my only other option

Hi AnonGirl9,

I am by no means an expert.. just a mum of a teen that has been suffering with Acne as well.

I would suggest that you talk to your Dr about Accutane.

You will find many different opinions here on the topic but I do believe it has its place.. just weigh up the pros and cons and your own situation.

I have seen first hand how debilitating it can be for a teenager to suffer through acne.. i wish you good luck and remember that it doesn't change the person that you are inside.. stay confident and strong and you will be a better person for it it the long run.

xx