Notifications
Clear all

Am I Blaming Food When It's Really Stress?

MemberMember
(@spartan32)

Posted : 06/25/2014 10:19 pm

Can stress be the root of my acne?

I am an almost 27 year old guy who has had acne for 14 painful years now. It has been cystic at times while other times manageable. I have done EVERYTHING besides Accutane (still regret not trying it)

From 19-23 it was pretty mild and responded extremely well to a combo of a light coating of Dan's BP in the morning and Differin at night. I ate anything that I wanted. Fast food, dairy, tons of alcohol, and my acne stayed mild.

Fast forward to when I turned 23 and two stressful events (long term relationship ended and I got my first stressful office job) caused my acne to become consistently cystic. From 23-25, I had 10-15 pimples at all times many of which were cystic and scarring. Nothing worked at all. I finally changed my diet a few months away from my 26th birthday. No dairy, no sugar, no gluten, no alcohol, and highly anti inflammatory whole foods. The bottom line is eating that way works wonders. I still use my BP in the morning and night but that wasn't enough to make a dent in my acne when it was bad from 23-25.

The problem is I have to be PERFECT on this diet. I am terrified to deviate from it and for good reason. One example is 2 weeks ago when I went to Vegas for the weekend. I kept up my topical routine but decided to say fuck it and eat whatever I wanted. So I ate out every meal, drank alcohol and just had fun for once. It was NOT worth it. Painful cysts and pustules all around my mouth, temples, and jawline which I am still recovering from.

This is honestly no way to live. I can stay 95 percent clear by following a perfect diet but I am living in fear at this point. I have never learned how to control my stress but I KNOW that deviating from my diet will cause deep pimples that scar.

Can anyone else relate to this? Everything that I read says that stress can make current acne worse but can it actually be the cause for someone that shouldn't have acne (a 27 year old man)?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/26/2014 8:34 am

Yes, stress can be a major factor and you need to manage it. But you still need to eat well and sleep as well. Both affect your ability to cope.

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 07/13/2014 4:44 am

Can stress be the root of my acne?

I am an almost 27 year old guy who has had acne for 14 painful years now. It has been cystic at times while other times manageable. I have done EVERYTHING besides Accutane (still regret not trying it)

From 19-23 it was pretty mild and responded extremely well to a combo of a light coating of Dan's BP in the morning and Differin at night. I ate anything that I wanted. Fast food, dairy, tons of alcohol, and my acne stayed mild.

Fast forward to when I turned 23 and two stressful events (long term relationship ended and I got my first stressful office job) caused my acne to become consistently cystic. From 23-25, I had 10-15 pimples at all times many of which were cystic and scarring. Nothing worked at all. I finally changed my diet a few months away from my 26th birthday. No dairy, no sugar, no gluten, no alcohol, and highly anti inflammatory whole foods. The bottom line is eating that way works wonders. I still use my BP in the morning and night but that wasn't enough to make a dent in my acne when it was bad from 23-25.

The problem is I have to be PERFECT on this diet. I am terrified to deviate from it and for good reason. One example is 2 weeks ago when I went to Vegas for the weekend. I kept up my topical routine but decided to say fuck it and eat whatever I wanted. So I ate out every meal, drank alcohol and just had fun for once. It was NOT worth it. Painful cysts and pustules all around my mouth, temples, and jawline which I am still recovering from.

This is honestly no way to live. I can stay 95 percent clear by following a perfect diet but I am living in fear at this point. I have never learned how to control my stress but I KNOW that deviating from my diet will cause deep pimples that scar.

Can anyone else relate to this? Everything that I read says that stress can make current acne worse but can it actually be the cause for someone that shouldn't have acne (a 27 year old man)?

Lol didnt know I would find someone who is going through this as well. I have something called perioral dermatitis(pustules around my mouth region, they come out in clusters..leave yellow stuff behind ugh..). So I went on antibiotics for 20 months..thing is antibiotics worked for me! But I got resistant to a couple and refused to go on it again. I changed me diet to no sugar, dairy and even spicy food! So now, I am getting really depressed because while following this diet keeps me 70% clear, I miss eating out and having fun like I used to! I eat fruits and deal with a few breakouts because well..I gotta live.

Have you tried using ACV with lemon? I heard it works wonders for pustules. I am going to try that soon. Also will try ingesting ACV with water everyday.

Since you didnt respond to antibiotics, it could be that your acne has a fungal element to it. Try applying an antifungal..like Lotrimin Ultra and using Selsen blue shampoo with 1% selenium sulfide on you face and see if it clears up!