Notifications
Clear all

Scared To Try A New Foundation..

MemberMember
(@sky13)

Posted : 06/24/2014 7:13 pm

Ive always used estee lauder double wear my holy grail however they changed the formula sometime last year. I cant be sure whether it was around the time my acne started coming back.

I stopped using it around 8 weeks ago when I started the acne org regimen and switched to a powder foundation. My skin has improved so much I cant even describe. Im not 100% clear but damn its so much better.

I dont mind wearing powder during the day but for events I need something more heavy duty that will last longer. Im terrified to try my estee lauder again.

Also I tried some other foundations around the time my skin was at its worst, Nars Sheer Matte and Makeup Forever Mat Velvet.

I dont know what to do I really want to use a liquid foundation but Im terrified it will break me out all over again or clog my pores. My estee lauder was amazing for nearly 6 years Id used it but I dont know whether to try it again.

Also my acne was different I broke out on my cheeks and I never ever have break outs on my cheeks which makes me suspicious it was something to do with a foundation.

Sigh, any advice what to do? Before my acne re-emerged last september time I could wear anything on my face without it breaking me out but now Im concerned.

MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 08/04/2014 11:33 am

What kind of powder are you using now? For the last two years I've been using Lily Lolo mineral powder foundation and I find that it provides medium-good coverage and it doesn't break me out at all. It is applied with a brush, which should be washed regularly. I can apply the foundation first thing in the morning along with a mattifying finishing powder and it will last all day - and I have reasonably oily skin. It's not too expensive either and will last a long time - they cater for a wide-range of skin tones and also have a lovely collection of blushes and eyeshadows.

MemberMember
(@jenjen182)

Posted : 08/04/2014 6:19 pm

I'd suggest looking for something oil-free, non-comedogenic, and non-acnegenic. Then there is like a 95% chance you won't break out from it versus going out on a limb.

I'm lucky to have skin that isn't very sensitive. I've tried dozens of foundations, and only one has broken me out.

MemberMember
(@prettysam)

Posted : 08/05/2014 7:32 pm

Perhaps you can again use estee lauder since you've been using it for years and the acne breakout of yours may not be attributed to the foundation. Or you can try clinique if you wish because it is hypoallergenic. You can try Clinique Acne Solutions Liquid Makeup, it is a good base makeup for oily t-zone skin.

MemberMember
(@sky13)

Posted : 08/06/2014 6:32 pm

So I did try the estee lauder and I broke out bad! My skin was so aggravated and red I dont know if Ive just suddenly become resistant to it because I used it for so long. Im now using Makeup Forever Mat Velvet although its not as long lasting and I need to touch up more with it.

Im also looking to try Laura Mericers new foundation it called flawless fluid I think?

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/06/2014 9:03 pm

I recommend Clinique. All their foundations and powders and blushes are non comedogenic and allergen free. I used to get acne from anything I wore. Someone on the boards recommended that I gave Clinique a shot. I am still using it to this day. I wear make up 5 days out of the week usually maybe 6. It's on from the early am to the late pm and no acne has resulted.

They have a good range of foundations too. From light coverage to heavy heavy coverage. I mean cover a tattoo coverage. Only draw back is they don't have a ton of colors. So for me it was difficult finding colors. I am a true nude and the nude they offer was very dark on me. So I ended up needing to mix foundations to achieve the coverage and for it to match my tone.

MemberMember
(@horsey310)

Posted : 08/13/2014 1:51 pm

I had the exact same experience with Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation last summer! Before I started using it I did have some mild acne, but it was manageable and nothing I really worried about. After maybe a month of using the EL foundation, I was horribly broken out in places I usually don't get pimples (e.g. the cheeks). I really liked the wear and coverage, but I'm definitely not going back to that foundation even when my skin clears up completely. I know it was what caused the breakout.

Let me know if you find a good alternative. Since that disaster I've been using Vichy's Normaderm foundation, which I picked up because it's non-comedogenic and specifically made for acne-prone skin. It hasn't broken me out, but it also doesn't wear very well so I'd like to switch to something with more coverage and long-wearing.

MemberMember
(@valerie44)

Posted : 08/13/2014 7:42 pm

Ive been wearing Dermablends Smooth Indulgence Foundation for years, for me it gives great coverage and doesn't break me out, its too bad they discontinued it :( Now im thinking of trying Estee Lauders Double Wear but after reading reviews on it I am now worried I will break out too!!!!!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 08/14/2014 10:37 pm

I do much better with silicone-free foundations. Oils actually aren't that bad for acne, honestly. When people started blaming oil for every skin problem the cosmetic companies responded by replacing oils with plasticizers/silicones.

Silicones are much worse for the skin because they form a sort of saran wrap layer on your skin. It makes your skin FEEL smooth but when you've got saran wrap over your skin, you just trap crap in your pores. Sebum is supposed to naturally flow out of your pores. It can't when you have a full face of silicone makeup on all day. 8-12 hours in plastic wrap will give you acne

The silicone-free foundations that I have had success with are:

Alba Botanical CC Cream

Juice Beauty Foundation

100% Pure Healthy Skin Foundation

MemberMember
(@marisaylward)

Posted : 10/14/2014 9:39 am

I'm also on the acne.org regimen and I find that MAKE UP FOREVER HD Liquid Foundation works well with it. I had really bad breakouts (huge, red, painful bumps on chin and forehead) before I started the regimen 4 months ago. My skin is clear now (yay!) so I don't wear a lot of makeup daily - just undereye concealer and some spot concealing of hyper pigmentation from past blemishes. I use MAC Pro Longwear concealer and Bare Minerals mineral veil in a compact. So far, it works well with the regimen and I haven't had any problems. I bought the MUFE foundation 2 months ago to use for on camera work. I only use it once or twice a week and I love it! Feels lightweight, decent coverage (just to even out skin tone, not to cover up acne/scars), and no breakouts from it so far. Ask for samples first so you can test how your skin reacts.

MemberMember
(@marisaylward)

Posted : 10/14/2014 9:39 am

I'm also on the acne.org regimen and I find that MAKE UP FOREVER HD Liquid Foundation works well with it. I had really bad breakouts (huge, red, painful bumps on chin and forehead) before I started the regimen 4 months ago. My skin is clear now (yay!) so I don't wear a lot of makeup daily - just undereye concealer and some spot concealing of hyper pigmentation from past blemishes. I use MAC Pro Longwear concealer and Bare Minerals mineral veil in a compact. So far, it works well with the regimen and I haven't had any problems. I bought the MUFE foundation 2 months ago to use for on camera work. I only use it once or twice a week and I love it! Feels lightweight, decent coverage (just to even out skin tone, not to cover up acne/scars), and no breakouts from it so far. Ask for samples first so you can test how your skin reacts.

MemberMember
(@seliana)

Posted : 10/24/2014 3:22 pm

I've used a lot of foundations and didn't stop breaking out (more than usual) until I completely ditched everything mainstream including department store brands. Most of them have some sort of mineral oil ingredient or parabens. The more natural brands work well for me, but it's been hit or miss since I have both acne and dry skin. Maybe you could check out some more natural options: Ecco Bella, Tarte (I know they're not that natural, but LOVE their Tinted Moisturizer), BB Creams (the real Korean ones, not the fake American ones like Missha, Skin79), Jane Iredale.

I've used Tarte Tinted Moisturizer and Amazonian Clay Foundation, love the TM, but the foundation is too drying at the moment (back on accutane). Love the Missha Signature Real Complete BB (but limited colour range). You really have to go somewhere tot ry Jane Iredale, I bought a few items and they were totally hit or miss, the colour descriptions are really off.

MemberMember
(@klm15)

Posted : 11/09/2014 10:46 pm

Picking a foundation depends on your skin type (dry, oily, combo), the formula (powder, liquid), the coverage (sheer, medium, full), if you want an SPF or not, etc.

Tarte Amazonian Clay Foundation is a medium to full coverage and due to the amazonian clay can be quite drying.

Nars Sheer Matte is more of a medium, and Makeup Forever Mat Velvet is extremely full coverage.

Typically the fuller the coverage, the more drying it's going to be.

If I knew a bit more about your skin type and what you're looking for it, I could give you some options :)

MemberMember
(@prettysam)

Posted : 05/01/2015 11:57 pm

You can also use Maybeline. Just make sure to deep cleanse your skin before going to bed. A good idea is using facial wipes.

MemberMember
(@loverofallthingslovely)

Posted : 05/04/2015 1:15 pm

Try out immaculate by hourglass! It's a liquid that turns to powder after application, controls oil like a mothereffer and has loads of skin beneficial ingredients :)

MemberMember
(@flowersfornina)

Posted : 06/17/2015 3:45 pm

I've never suffered from small, clogged pores UNTIL I tried Estee Lauder Double Wear. Granted, it was the first time someone's commented how "flawless" my skin looked. I used ELDW and ELDW Light for about 2 months. During this time, I started to get these weird skin-coloured bumps on my face that I've never had and the foundation enhanced it even more. It originally looked great on my skin because I didn't have these bumps but now that I do it looks really bad on my skin... That was almost over 7? months ago and I STILL have the clogged pores that it caused me... it's going away but it takes such a long time. What's scary is you never know when one of those clogged pores will turn into an active pimple. It sucks. I've also had the same reaction with Clinique except it took longer (around 3 months) until the clogged pores + acne started showing up. I originally swore by Clinique but since having stopped using it (I used Clinique Stay Matte), I stopped getting cystic breakouts as well.

Currently, I like Almay's Clear Complexion paired with a medium-coverage powder foundation.

MemberMember
(@greyexporter)

Posted : 07/05/2015 2:33 pm

I have read to avoid pancake type foundations and go for liquid based stuff, products like Urban Decay Naked Skin Makeup and Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Flawless Fluid - can anyone confirm these are good?

MemberMember
(@blaisetropicalsun)

Posted : 07/21/2015 2:51 pm

Personally, I've found that foundation has always clogged up my pores and I now prefer using BB creams or CC creams, and also powder. If the Estee Lauder one is still your preferred foundation, I suggest you try it out because you may avoid the break out's. My personal makeup routine consists of light makeup since it is summer and I don't want my makeup to literally leak.

Dream Fresh BB cream

Stay Matte Powder

Hide The Blemish Concealer

Baby Skin Primer

I get an occasional pimple from time to time and the Vitamin C Body Shop face spray has helped me fade scars and indented rolling scars. I once used a benefit one and it caused the WORST pimples ever!! I suggest something light for first go if your preferred one has stopped it's formula as it can cause acne, to scars of which are sometimes left for life.

Hope this helps! If you have a question ask