Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sam1w2e

Question About Getting Roaccutane In The Uk.

Right, so I went to my dermatologist appointment today after waiting like 3 months (NHS). I managed to convince the derm to put me on roaccutane. She gave me a sheet which I need when I go and get my blood tests done (am doing this next week at my GP surgery). But she also said I would have to wait ANOTHER 1-2 months to get an appointment to see one of the acne nurses, as she put it...I'm not sure why I can't go on it sooner if I get my blood work done? Or why she couldn't just fill out the prescription when I saw her? I think I'm going to lose my mind if I have to wait another 2 months...Anyone from the UK been through a similar experience by any chance?

Honestly, just be patient.

I had a couple of hospital appointments before I went on accutane.

Make sure you don't get your bloods done too far ahead of your next appointment, they might make you get them done again (happened to me). In all I had to wait about 6 months to get on it from my GP referring me.

It's annoying to have to wait for so long, but worth it. you just have to be patient, there's no other way round it!

Honestly, just be patient.

I had a couple of hospital appointments before I went on accutane.

Make sure you don't get your bloods done too far ahead of your next appointment, they might make you get them done again (happened to me). In all I had to wait about 6 months to get on it from my GP referring me.

It's annoying to have to wait for so long, but worth it. you just have to be patient, there's no other way round it!

Thank you for the advice! So would you recommend I wait until I have a date for my follow up appointment before I go and get my bloods done?

Oooo I'm not sure how much in advance you can have them done. I know that my blood text results normally take about a week to come through from the lab (or wherever it is that they are tested) and I can receieve a letter 2 days before my next appointment!

I think I had my bloods taken and had an appointment booked for the beginning of Feb, the Feb one I had to reschedule and I think it got moved to end of April, Early May and my bloods had to be re taken then.

In the mean time you can start stocking up on Head & Shoulders and moistoriser! You're going to need it!

Oooo I'm not sure how much in advance you can have them done. I know that my blood text results normally take about a week to come through from the lab (or wherever it is that they are tested) and I can receieve a letter 2 days before my next appointment!

I think I had my bloods taken and had an appointment booked for the beginning of Feb, the Feb one I had to reschedule and I think it got moved to end of April, Early May and my bloods had to be re taken then.

In the mean time you can start stocking up on Head & Shoulders and moistoriser! You're going to need it!

Hmm I might just stick with my appointment to get my bloods done next week and if I have to get it redone then I'll just do that, because I have no way of knowing when I'll get an appointment, could be in 2 weeks or 2 months...

Yep I'm already starting to stock up haha. So you're about a month or so into your roaccutane treatment then I take it?

I have 1 more day and I'm out of tablets for my first month! Waiting for my next appointment so that I can get my next lot!

Hi I also had to wait about 2 months to get an appointment with my derm (on the NHS) however once I had met the derm, the procedure was pretty quick.

Once I was given the go-ahead by my dermatologist I had my blood work done after 2 weeks and then the nurse appt was 2 days later where they had the results from the blood test. And I got the tablets from the pharmacy on the same day.

I started my first month of accutane today (just took my first pill). I had to get my blood test done 2-3 days before the appointment with the nurse.

I have to go for a blood test every 8 weeks from now on until the end of the course.

Edited by mumbojumbo

Update: I finally have my appointment! :D So happy! It's for this Thursday and they said as long as my blood tests are fine I'll be able to start it then! I'm so excited!

Good luck. Just make sure you are taken off it when your skin has been completely clear for one month! I came off it too soon and now my acne is back and I've been told I have to wait 12 months to go back on it! I honestly don't know where 12 months comes from. I think it's nonsense from overly cautious dermatologist that just want to get everyone off their books!