New To The Regimen!...

Notifications
Clear all

New To The Regimen! Questions/pictures!

MemberMember
(@dalton1720)

Posted : 06/24/2014 2:47 am

Hello! I saw a youtube video raving about acne.org and decided to give it a try!

I started 3 days ago and have some questions.

Background:

Im 19 years old and have had moderate to light acne since I was in 7th grade. Its mild compared to some, but bothersome to say the least. I break out the worst a week or a few days before my TOM and sometimes experience breakouts for 2 weeks after, then have a few days of clear skin, and the cycle repeats itself. I have lost 23 pounds in the last 3 months and eat a pretty balanced diet. It didn't change much of anything. Im so excited about this change in my body! But my acne holds me back from being fully confident in myself.

Products I use:

Purpose Cleanser

Neautragena ON the spot acne medication

Olay sensitive skin moisturizer

Questions:

1.) I dislike the way my makeup looks over the BP. I use mineral makeup and it doesn't seem to blend in very well anymore, but rather sits on the surface. Is there anything I can do about this? Or will my skin learn to soak in the product over time?

2.) This goes with the first question, Will the regiment be just as effective using the BP at night only and use a larger amount since I don't like the way my makeup blends?

3.) When should you start using more BP? My face burns very badly after applying moisturizer so I know I am using to much for a beginner, but Im not sure when to bring up the dosage

4.) My acne seems to be hormonal. Would Accutane be a good option for me?

My experience so far:

It has cleared up my acne thats for sure! But the redness and tightness to my face looks awful. I know its to be expected since I have been using to much BP. I still have scaring from the old acne, but nothing that can't be covered with makeup. Luckily any acne scars fade completely from 1 to 3 weeks just depending on the severity of the pimple.

Note:** The picture I attached I was wearing makeup with as well. I cannot find a single picture that displays my acne as for what it truly is as I would never take any when I was breaking out, unless I was forced like this one, but of course I still attempted to hide it.

Thank you so much for taking time to read or reply.

Any thoughts or feedback would be much appreciated! <3

post-404879-0-77799000-1403595389.jpg

post-404879-0-77799000-1403595389.jpg

MemberMember
(@wholebook)

Posted : 06/30/2014 12:17 am

Hey! I'm actually a little embarrassed to say that I'm currently on my fourth "round" of the regimen (just started my 7th week today). The other three times I wasn't patient enough and couldn't deal with the dryness and redness. I wish I had stuck it out the first time because I could have been clear by now! Ugghhh... lol It's interesting that you mention that you lost 23 pounds, I recently lost 25 pounds just to become healthier but I thought that maybe it would have an effect on my skin...of course not! lol :( I didn't start getting the type of acne I have now, which is mostly closed comedones, until I put on the weight, but it must just have been a coincidence.

Anyways, to answer your first question about makeup, I see that you're using the Neutrogena BP product. I'm actually surprised you're having any success wearing makeup over the top of that product because I know when I was using the Neutrogena product it was like glue on my face and I felt that it never absorbed! Even with Dan's BP I still have problems wearing makeup over the top of it. I have to wait a very long time to make sure it's fully absorbed and then of course I have to apply my face lotion and again wait until my skin is totally dry or the BP balls up and looks very strange. Right now, I'm not wearing any makeup so I don't have to deal with all of that, but I hope once I get clear I can just use the BP at night. You might want to try using a face primer before your mineral makeup if you haven't already, I know that it's sometimes recommended to get a smooth layer to apply your makeup on. If that still doesn't work, I might recommend just using a liquid concealer on spots--I know it's hard to go out when your skin is breaking out but honestly I felt more uncomfortable with the weird way my makeup balled up over the BP than I did without any makeup!

I would hesitate just using a larger amount of BP at night because your skin will already be very dry and I fear that that would be way to much for your skin to handle. I do know that there have been many people who have had success with just using the regular amount of BP once a day and have gotten totally clear, so you could always try that as well.

As far as how much BP to use, I use Dan's BP and I started off using 1/4 finger's length once a day for the first week. The second week I used 1/2 finger's length twice a day, and then worked my way up to a full finger's length by week 4. Even now, I still occasionally will feel burning when I apply my lotion--I've read that it's from the glycerin in the lotion that reacts with the BP. My first several times of starting the regimen I started WAY, WAY, too quickly and ended up completely burning my face (you'd think I would have learned the first time). I know some people say that they didn't work their way up to the full dosage until week 6 or 8.

Regarding Accutane, I have no experience with it, but I hope I answered your other questions! :)

P.S- You're very pretty! <3

MemberMember
(@dalton1720)

Posted : 07/07/2014 12:15 am

Thank you so much for your response! Its good your starting up again. I know how frustrating dry skin can be now, but fortunantly It does get better. This is my second week so yay!

My skin has gotten better as far as acne is concerned, but I'm having trouble with makeup now. It looks flaky and dry, but I'm hoping with the right makeup products I can fix that. I will also try the primer. Congrats on your weight loss! I know its a hard journey and even more discouraging when it doesn't make an effect on your skin. ): But hey! Over all health is most important. I use a full fingers length day and night and it seems to be doing fine. I don't have as dry of skin anymore, but I feel my skin had a better look/feel before the BP besides the acne of course.

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 07/07/2014 8:59 am

Not all makeup looks good over acne medications but especially Neutrogena on-the-spot because it is thick and white. Here are our makeup tips.

http://www.acne.org/faq.html#cosmetics and http://www.acne.org/blog/2009/04/27/makeup-if-you-must/

The Regimen works best when used exactly as directed. If you skip the morning application, you may not see optional results. It's better to just find a safe makeup that will work well over the products rather than skip the morning part. I've used Almay Smart Shade for many years and it works the best over acne medications for me.

For burning read here: http://www.acne.org/faq.html#burn And here: http://www.acne.org/faq.html#moisturizer-sting

Accutane can work very well for many people, but for many others the acne just comes right back. You and your dermatologist would have to decide if this would be a good option for you. Here is Dan's Accutane information. http://www.acne.org/accutane.html

Hope that helps!