Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Polka

reducing oil production

I suffer from terrible terrible oil. My pores are gigantic, like manholes.

PLease give me any recommendations on what I could buy. I figure creams won't help, I was thinking more along the lines of capsules, etc.. anything

Thanks all

Hi polkadots,

Well first off I'm assuming you are female. I would check out the Spirolactone threads in the Prescription forum. I've found this to be very helpful, I went from oily slick by noon, to perfect normal toned skin.

Good luck,

Rae

P.S. Feel free to ask more ?s

oopsey daisy, I happen to be a guy. I was told that taking oils like primrose oil would help as it tells my body I have enough oil and therefore produces less? I am not sure.

I'm quite desperate. Very depressed, I feel utterly hopeless.

oopsey daisy, I happen to be a guy. I was told that taking oils like primrose oil would help as it tells my body I have enough oil and therefore produces less? I am not sure.

I'm quite desperate. Very depressed, I feel utterly hopeless.

Hey polkadots, from what I know about Evening primrose oil, it's supposed to regulate hormones, and also dilute the oil that is secreted from your skin. All EFA oils do this I think: Omega 3, 6, and 9 oils are EFAs and are super good for your skin and can be found in Flax oil, fish oil, evening primrose, or borage oil. you can buy supplements that have all three also.

Also, B5 helps to decrease oil production! This was a huge help for me!

I finally decided to have smoothbeam treatments done though and that is what will really decrease your oil production because the laser creates a thermal injury to your oil glands and they are supposed to normalize. This treatment is pretty amazing! Kind of like the effects of accutane but no side effects.

Hi!

I have the same issue...

Exfol Serum can really help keep oil production at bay...An intensive program using the Obagi regimen with tretinoin will definitly decrease oil production on a going forward basis, its lengthy though at 12-18 weeks but totally worth the results. Plus it has SOOO many other benefits like decreasing acne, improving overall skin tone, a complete program to get and maintain healthy skin:) It really does work, but patience is needed-LOL!

Good Luck!

p.s. MUAC has a shine-reducing cream that I just picked up, you can order a sample to test, so far so good on the T-zone:)

Hey polkadots, from what I know about Evening primrose oil, it's supposed to regulate hormones, and also dilute the oil that is secreted from your skin. All EFA oils do this I think: Omega 3, 6, and 9 oils are EFAs and are super good for your skin and can be found in Flax oil, fish oil, evening primrose, or borage oil. you can buy supplements that have all three also.

I finally decided to have smoothbeam treatments done though and that is what will really decrease your oil production because the laser creates a thermal injury to your oil glands and they are supposed to normalize. This treatment is pretty amazing! Kind of like the effects of accutane but no side effects.

Hi polkadots,

Well first off I'm assuming you are female. I would check out the Spirolactone threads in the Prescription forum. I've found this to be very helpful, I went from oily slick by noon, to perfect normal toned skin.

Good luck,

Rae

P.S. Feel free to ask more ?s

Well I am currently taking 2000mg flaxseed and 2000mg primrose oil. 2000mg milk thistle.

I was thinking of b5, but what dosage do I take just to reduce pores/oil, not spots? (as the 10g recommended seems too high for me!)

Thanks

hey ricky. Check pharmacy2u.co.uk

they sell 1000mg capsules. It says take 1-3 a day. So is this too much or what?

Funny, i am taking so much supplememnts and today I am having a pain in the chest

2000mg primrose 2000mg flaxseed. Has been 3 days, no change. But still early days yet!

B-complex

Multivitamin

Milk Thistle

Is my list. The amount of pills I have to take is ridiculous

Hey La, where can you get the Smoothbeam treatments done at? And can you get it done for oily skin or do they only perform it for severe acne?

I'm a guy and I have EXTREMELY oily skin!

Anyone want to know my daily routine? After I take a shower I use part of the ProactivSolution treatment. I skip their Cleanser and use Dove bar soap (Dove is surprisingly gentle on my skin), I then use their Toner and finish up with their Clarifying Treatment (which is VERY weak btw), so I use Clearasil next for spot treatment.

After about 2 - 3 hours my skin is soooo oily, I blotch it with those Toilet Seat Covers (you find in bathrooms). The little sheets that people buy would never work for me as I'd use half the pack for one application and I can't see continuing to use one little sheet over and over...it seems you're just spreading the oil all over your face - YUCK! So the Toilet Seat Covers work GREAT and they're FREE! The entire sheet is drenched when I get done but my skin has a smooth matte finish.

So that's my oily day and I repeat it maybe 2 more times if I'm out and about. When I first started using this method, my skin would take a looong time to get oily again, but I notice now it's over-compensating and it's oily 2 hours later.

For a guy, this is OUT OF CONTROL!