Notifications
Clear all

Documenting My 'tane Journey 37 Year Old Female

MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 06/23/2014 10:51 pm

I want to document everything on this journal for myself and anyone who wants to read about others experiences.

I am a 37 year old woman who had great skin until about 29 when I had kids. After that my skin went crazy! Like everyone else I've tried EVERYTHING to fight acne. I've tried every drugstore product, differin, retin A, tetracycline, etc. After 8 years under a dermatologist's care, and developing an allergy to all -cycline drugs pretty much Accutane is all that's left.

My derm started me on 40 mg and today is day 4. So far so good. Today I had a headache but it could have been allergies, and I'm noticing my throat feels really dry. I can't get enough water. I'm going to be proactive and start using the Vaseline and body lotion. I have been applying all over spf every morning before leaving the house. I'm scared to death of burning while on Iso. Last year I burned really, really bad, when I wasn't on any drugs that make me light sensitive, so I'm trying to be cautious.

I do have a history of anxiety so my dr is watching me closely for mood changes and I'm a little nervous about it, but I'm still excited about the possibility of this working.

I currently have three active cysts on my jawline and the rest are healing from earlier in the month. That's all for now but I'll try to update as things are starting to happen!

MemberMember
(@mandycandy)

Posted : 06/24/2014 10:03 am

Good luck to ya!!

Rachelwp liked
MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 06/24/2014 3:13 pm

I have a few more breakouts but I think it's just normal spots and not IB. I prepared by buying a lot of products before getting my prescription.

This is what I have on hand! Most of this stuff I read about on the logs.

Curel Itch Defense body lotion (2 bottles)

2 tubs of Lip Medex

Carmex

Carmex hand lotion

Vaseline with shea butter

A bath and body works hand cream I forgot the name of

Garnier Oil Cleanser

Neutrogena Gentle Cleanser

Lancome Cream to Oil Cleanser

Avene Thermal Spray

Avene Extreme Tolerance moisturizer

Neova SPF 50 for face

Systane drops for Contacts

Ayr Nasal Gel with Aloe

Gel eye drops for night (forgot the name)

I'm sure there is more. I'll try to review the items as I use them in case anyone else is looking for product recommendations.

MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 06/25/2014 6:22 pm

Most everything is the same today. My lips are definitely getting drier, but nothing terrible. I'm keeping them covered in my hoards of lip balms. I have about 5 cysts that aren't huge, and a few small bumps.

I can't even imagine how I'm going to go 5-6 months and NOT spot treat and napalm my face with all kinds of acids, ointments, and soaps!

MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 06/27/2014 10:17 am

Today is Day 8. I usually break out on my jawline, but I have two new spots on my cheeks. They are small right now and I hope they stay that way. They do hurt though. So right now I have 5 active spots and a few that are healing. I noticed my back is breaking out which it usually doesn't and i have one spot on my chest. Definitely not the norm!

As for symptoms I haven't had anymore headaches so that's good.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/27/2014 10:36 am

Im starting next week and I can't wait to be able to say the same thing :) !!!

Most everything is the same today. My lips are definitely getting drier, but nothing terrible. I'm keeping them covered in my hoards of lip balms. I have about 5 cysts that aren't huge, and a few small bumps.

I can't even imagine how I'm going to go 5-6 months and NOT spot treat and napalm my face with all kinds of acids, ointments, and soaps!

MemberMember
(@mandycandy)

Posted : 06/27/2014 1:41 pm

Not spot treating almost drove me crazy, then it was actually kind of refreshing to not have to do that ALL the time. Now if I could only acquire the challenge not to pick and try to pop them!

Rachelwp liked
MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 06/29/2014 6:47 pm

Oh boy I think I'm having an IB. Is it too early for that? I'm on day 10 of 40 mg. My face is a wreck! Probably double the cysts I usually have.

I can tell I'm starting to dry out because my lips will peel if I don't have on lip balm (which is rare). Also, after I washed my face with an oil cleanser I put on CeraVe moisturizer and it burned a little. It never burns me!

Keeping myself from popping one of the spots on my cheek is the hardest thing I've ever done. I want to pop it so bad!!!!!!!!!!!!

edited to add my scalp also burned when I was showering today which is really weird so I guess my scalp is also drying out.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/29/2014 7:29 pm

Cerave burned you? Are you going to change moisturizers?

MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 06/29/2014 8:13 pm

I hope I can still use it! I bought a HUGE tub. If it gets too painful I'll switch to Avene Tolerance Extreme which I also have and is really mild. Hopefully I can get some use out of this stuff though.

MemberMember
(@missdeevi)

Posted : 06/30/2014 3:39 pm

I am on day 26 of accutane and I spot treat with tea tree oil. The only "store bought" lotion I use it gold bond ultimate healing, the rest of the time I moisturize with essential oils and vitamin E. (Rosehip Seed Oil, Aloe Vera and Vitamin E). Went from horrendous (deep pits, blotches, scabs, neverending cysts) to zero breakouts. Only mark I have is from a blackhead I tried to push out on my cheek (you will go through a purging phase where your skin feels like coral/sandpaper and you have a million blackheads at the start of week 4). I even use gentle blackhead masks but I highly suggest you don't use these until after week 3. Yes, your skin is sensitive but the main thing to avoid is other "acne specific" treatments (slicylic accid, tretinoin, benzoyl peroxide). If you have instagram follow this girl Samantha @acnesufferers she offers great recipes for natural products she has used to clear her skin WITHOUT accutane.

Also, the burning... that happens for the first two weeks. It feel slike you have bad sunburn and your skin hurts to touch. Then one day it just goes away over night. My lips felt like I had poured hot sauce on them for over a week and I couldnt touch the skin around my nose cause it felt like I did an acid peel lol It is common with accutane not the Cerave.

Rachelwp liked
MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 06/30/2014 4:16 pm

I am on day 26 of accutane and I spot treat with tea tree oil. The only "store bought" lotion I use it gold bond ultimate healing, the rest of the time I moisturize with essential oils and vitamin E. (Rosehip Seed Oil, Aloe Vera and Vitamin E). Went from horrendous (deep pits, blotches, scabs, neverending cysts) to zero breakouts. Only mark I have is from a blackhead I tried to push out on my cheek (you will go through a purging phase where your skin feels like coral/sandpaper and you have a million blackheads at the start of week 4). I even use gentle blackhead masks but I highly suggest you don't use these until after week 3. Yes, your skin is sensitive but the main thing to avoid is other "acne specific" treatments (slicylic accid, tretinoin, benzoyl peroxide). If you have instagram follow this girl Samantha @acnesufferers she offers great recipes for natural products she has used to clear her skin WITHOUT accutane.

Also, the burning... that happens for the first two weeks. It feel slike you have bad sunburn and your skin hurts to touch. Then one day it just goes away over night. My lips felt like I had poured hot sauce on them for over a week and I couldnt touch the skin around my nose cause it felt like I did an acid peel lol It is common with accutane not the Cerave.

So good to know! I don't normally have blackheads and I noticed one random one in a weird spot! I guess they are starting to slowly pop up. I think you are right and straight oil might be the best moisturizer. Have you had any issues treating with tea tree oil? I do have some.

I woke up this morning with a whitehead on top of a cyst. It was the hardest thing ever to not pop it. Seriously it's killing me!!!!!! I put Dermablend on it and at least you couldn't see the white part. It's going to be a LOOOOONG 5/6 months!

MemberMember
(@missdeevi)

Posted : 06/30/2014 9:40 pm

Nope, just the normal burn that you usually get with non diluted TTO. Sometimes i wil put witch hazel on a cotton ball and drop a couple drops of tea tree oil on and rub it around my face. I seriously highly recommend the rosehip seed oil. It has helped so much with my hyperpigmentation. The first picture is my skin in March (the ugly one) second picture is my skin now.

post-399667-0-65081400-1404182270_thumb.

post-399667-0-54631800-1404182373_thumb.

MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 06/30/2014 10:08 pm

Nope, just the normal burn that you usually get with non diluted TTO. Sometimes i wil put witch hazel on a cotton ball and drop a couple drops of tea tree oil on and rub it around my face. I seriously highly recommend the rosehip seed oil. It has helped so much with my hyperpigmentation. The first picture is my skin in March (the ugly one) second picture is my skin now.

Your skin is looking so good! I'll have to look into the Rosehip seed oil!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/01/2014 1:05 am

That's all you've been using for your face? Did you have a lot of active acne from the first pic or was it just pigmentation?

The improvement is amazing!

MemberMember
(@missdeevi)

Posted : 07/01/2014 9:30 am

I had a lot of acne. I get deep cysts on my cheeks that last for months and seem to never heal. Same on my jaw line and under my chin. I think the thing that helped the most was the antibiotic they put me on, cefadroxil in combination with retin A while i waited the 30days before accutane. Now that I'm on accutane i am still on the cefadroxil until the end of my second month. So far I've lucked out with the IB. Attached is another pic before i started using the oils and meds. It was end of April, the last week.

When I say the antibiotic is what helped the most I mean that is when I noticed the MOST difference but when I started using the aloe and vitamen E and tea tree beginning of April there was still a huge difference and I was still breaking out through May and didn't buy the Rosehip seed oil until the last week, around May 25th? Been using that every night and by the time I went to the derm on June 5th she was really impressed with my progress. Since then on Day 27 now of Accutane, I can go without makeup even with active spots because they aren't bright red or inflamed. I go in for my second month of accutane on July 7th (Monday).

post-399667-0-48988500-1404224891_thumb.

post-399667-0-51712700-1404224990_thumb.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/01/2014 12:50 pm

Ohh ok, I thought you got those results only from the natural stuff. What kind of aloe vera are u using- from a bottle or the actual plant leaf?

MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 07/02/2014 6:23 pm

Today is Day 13 and no new spots. I still have two big ones on my cheek. I'm noticing flakiness around the bottom of my nose like I've been blowing it, only I haven't. I've been moisturizing every time I get out of the shower with the St. Ives Spray lotion. I LOVE that stuff!

I'm noticing the spots seem to be healing pretty quick. It's everything I have to not lance the ones on my cheeks....

MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 07/03/2014 2:48 pm

I'll do some progression pics. This is day 4ish.

c402f9c1-8299-4806-8ce0-1c4c8eb76336_zps

About 10 days in and those are the painful cysts on my cheeks.

IMG_6295_zpsfe5b61de.jpg

This is today. Day 14. The cysts are still there but no longer painful and appear to be slowly going down.

c890201a-5bf5-402a-8a9d-29eca5d56e0e_zps

And the other side.

7d6fa3ed-e362-43fa-96c6-363d47bec0da_zps

I can't wait to no longer deal with this acne. I'm so over it. Thank God for Dermablend foundation!

MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 07/06/2014 10:18 am

Today is Day 17 I believe and the cheek cysts are going down, definitely faster than they usually would. I woke up to a new one on my jawline. I also have a patch on my cheek that's very bumpy, but it's small bumps, not whiteheads either.

So far dryness is not an issue. I don't know if it's because I'm just under 3 weeks into it, or because I'm lotioned up like a greased pig. Either way lips are fine for now, my eyes are feeling slightly drier but nothing too bad. My mood is fine, probably better than normal because I'm excited to be on the Tane and know that these breakouts are a mean to an end. When my meds are bumped up it could change but right now I'm fine.

I'm using a Lancome Creme Mousse Confort in the morning, and Lancome Creme Douceur Cream to oil massage cleanser

at night and it's working well. No burning or added dryness from those products.

MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 07/07/2014 9:55 pm

I realized today my cleanser I'm using in the morning has Rosehip Seed Oil! I still want to get some to use by itself.

I think I'm starting the sandpaper skin you speak of at week 4. I'm at 18 days and there's a patch on my jaw and chin that's tiny bumps, or something. It's unlike anything I've ever had and my forehead feels like tiny bumps but they aren't really noticeable. I can feel them when I run my hand along that area. I'm sure the sandpaper feeling will be spreading!

I'm better now with the burning. Nothing has really hurt since, which is great, because I have a tub of CeraVe the size of my head to use.

I'm surprised at my lack of dryness. Should I be flaky by now I wonder? My next appt is July 21st. I dread it because it starts the 7 day window which I hate because it's too much pressure! Too many variables that could make me miss my window! I think I will have a heart attack if I miss my window because of someone else. I'm a bit of a control freak if you can't tell.

MemberMember
(@missdeevi)

Posted : 07/08/2014 8:24 am

Everyone talks of the dry skin but mine hasnt really been dry in the true sense. Yes, I peel and get flakes on my scalp and in my eyebrows and around mouth but that is the extent of it. My skin is other wise moist and I only use Rosehip Oil and Vitamin E to moisturize and only at night unless I take a shower in the morning then only a drop or two of rosehip seed oil. My lips are my only side effect. As for the 7 day window, I have filled my prescription the same day both times (I just got my second month yesterday). I go from the doctors straight home to do the quiz online then to the pharmacy for pickup. My derm verbally said he was upping my dosage but only wrote me a prescription for the same dosage as before so Im kind of bummed. You have more self control than me cause I have popped every cyst that Ive gotten lol and scraped the coral reef/sandpaper skin off with my nails pulling out the blackheads. My pores are almost all completely closed on my nose now, no more sandpaper and I am officially on day 32.

Rachelwp liked
MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 07/08/2014 12:47 pm

My doctor makes me get bloodwork every month so I have to wait for that to come back then she calls my prescription in. Just that process is about 3 days out of the 7. It drives me crazy!

Hopefully I'm greased up enough to avoid major dryness as well. I anticipate more when I go to a higher dosage. I'm still at 40 right now.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/08/2014 2:13 pm

cant you do the bloodwork in advance so you don't miss any days?

MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 07/08/2014 5:42 pm

cant you do the bloodwork in advance so you don't miss any days?

I wish! I can't get the bloodwork done until I see the dr, she gives me the slip at the appt, then I go directly for bloodwork. If all works out in 3 days she will have the results and I have a couple days padding in case the pharmacies are out. Last month I called all the pharmacies in town to find one that had exactly what I needed and I had her call it in there and had no issues with the window. I hate not being in total control! LOL