Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest GetMeTheResults

Did You Have To Take Accutane Again? How Long Was Your Remission?

Guest GetMeTheResults

Hey guys,

It has been established that a regular dose of accutane, instead of the low dose, has been more successful in curing acne in the long run. I am curious to hear what has been your experience.

Please, tell me for how long did you take Accutane, what was your dose, how much did you weigh at that time, how severe was your acne (if your have pics even better!) and for how long did your skin stay clear.

I hope that all of the Accutane users who have had to go a 2nd or even 3rd round share their experiences.

I took accutane once when I was 18 and my skin remained clear until I was 20. I don't remember what my dose was, but I do know it was an appropriate dose for my weight. Actually, my dose might have even been considered a high dose. Before accutane my acne was probably close to severe. My skin was extremely congested and I would get cysts. I have not done a second course of accutane because I feel like it really negatively impacted the way my body heals.

Guest GetMeTheResults

is your acne more manageable now and is it as severe as it used to be?

I started accutane when I was 18 at 35mg/day, weighing 65kg. My acne was really not that bad at all (sometimes i wonder why i even started it). My side effects were not very nice, but I learned how to manage them and pushed through for 9 months. My skin was incredibly smooth and soft. After 5 months, I started to have a odd small pimple every other week or so. Being slightly obsessive I went to see my new dermatologist since I moved from Switzerland to Holland. She suggested another course of accutane but on a much lower dose (20mg/day). I been on this for 2 months now, and my skin is flawless and I have hardly any side effects. The lower dose is just as effective from my point of view, but with no adverse damage to your body.

From what my dermatologist told me, a lower dosage is actually more effective in the long run. I plan to stay on this dosage for about a year, and then we'll see :)

Hope this helps!

is your acne more manageable now and is it as severe as it used to be?

My acne is more manageable, but that's mostly because I've stopped using most traditional products (cleansers, moisturizers, etc.) on my face and eat a sugar free, gluten free, vegan diet. If I was to follow the lifestyle I had while on accutane my skin would be very similar to how it was before accutane.

Have you thought about trying spiro? For many females it can be more effective and a more permanent solution for acne.

Guest GetMeTheResults

ive heard it takes forever to get clear on spiro and bad skin runs in the family- my dad is 50 something and still gets pimples. I lucked out in inheriting that trait.

How is spiro more effective and more permanent?

Edited by GetMeTheResults

I first went on Accutane 25 years ago, when I was 25. I got about 15 years of remission out of it. Once I went off birth control in my early forties, however, I started breaking out again. At first it was mild, but in the past several years I've started getting more and more frequent cysts that will on occasion leave a scar.

I'd categorize my acne as inflammatory and, while not continuous, it is persistent—it just won't go away. I'll go 3–4 months without a breakout, then BAM, one after the other after the other, mostly on and around my chin. I've tried everything under the sun, including spiro (which I could not tolerate—I was exhausted, felt like I was in another world, and the IB was horrendous), my dermo suggested we try another round of Accutane. I start tomorrow. At the ripe old age of 50 years old.

Good luck to you!

First, I'm not sure abut your first statement. The only solid dose research out there relates to cumulative dose. Some people take this as a low dose for a long time, others at a high daily dose for a shorter time. You need to be clear that you mean cumulative dose, because this is misleading. In fact, there is some current research that suggests that a long term low dose route (reaching the same cumulative total) may be more effective. The reasoning is that the sebaceous gland is suppressed for longer, which may lead to longer term remission. The research on this is not clear yet, but looks promising. On the other hand, there are ZERO studies that show a direct correlation between DAILY dose and relapse.

Also, people get WAY too hung up on the idea that taking a higher dose will keep you from relapse. As you can see from the posters above, they have taken full courses and are still back in that boat. Same goes for me. I did a full course 10 years ago and stayed clear until last year. Life is unpredictable, there are no guarantees. And there is no 'cure' for acne. Accutane causes remission - for some this can last a lifetime, but not for all. In most studies, relapse is around 40%, and that's with people who are being heavily supervised by researchers. I would guess that in the general population it's closer to 50%.

Also there are several studies out there that show that dose is NOT the factor that correlates the most with relapse. Not even close. Other factors that correlate much more closely include age (under 15ish and over 25ish people relapse more), gender (women relapse more than men), and severity of acne (not a shocker that people with more acne relapse more).

So, what I'm saying is that you shouldn't get too obsessed with dose - it's not as big a factor as everyone makes it out to be, as long as you hit a cumulative total of between 120 and 150. Otherwise it is completely beyond your control. Acne is a bitch like that.

Guest GetMeTheResults

Hey Kim,

You know your stuff. I don't remember what I read to support my statements, but I have it bookmarked somewhere and I'll refer to it later to double check.

So 120mg/kg would mean 120mg x 60kg (my weight)= 7200mg Total Accutane in my System

7200mg / 10mg per day= 720 days

720days / 30days= 24 months, i.e. 2 years on low-dose Accutane

Am I correct?

Im on my 3rd course.. First was 70mg for 5 months, second 40mg for 7 months, now im on 80mg my first week. Im 22 185lb. Gets less serve everytime. When I first started I had it on my face back and chest. Now I only get it on my chin / jaw