Notifications
Clear all

Tretinoins- Permanent Inflammation?

MemberMember
(@moonchild11)

Posted : 06/22/2014 1:49 pm

Hello,

I recall all my skin issues really began when I started using a tretinoin called Biacna. Before that I only had like 5 pimples that didn't even bother me and would have gone away quickly because my skin used to be resiliant. (only went to the derm because my sister and "friends" kept calling me ugly).

Anyway, I used the Biacna in February for only one month. I think I either used too much or my skin was really sensitive to it because it was a harsh dry winter. I followed the derm's instructions, except for one time when I definatly used too much...but it was only one time. Ever since then (it is now almost JULY) I have had red, inflammated skin, with slight orange peel texture (or patchy pore lines, if that makes sense), and some red marks that I still can't tell if they or indented or not. When I smile have a wrinkle/dimple formation which may be caused by indented scars or as my sister suggested, severely inflammed and dehydrated skin. At any rate, it causes the apples of my cheeks to be lopsided/ assymetical when I smile so it ruins my facial features and makes it so I never smile at anyone. I don't use products on my face anymore (except moisturizers and sunscreen), and always protect it from the sun. I am on accutane, but it hasn't made the problem worse, if anything it might be a bit better after going on accutane, but if there is a difference at all it is so slight I cannot say for sure.

So this has been going on for 5-6 months! Is it permanent? Or can my skin still heal, stop being red and inflammed, and resume to its original texture (if I in fact do not have scars)?

post-390788-0-86263700-1403462859.jpg

post-390788-0-23502800-1403462867.jpg

post-390788-0-67791600-1403462874.jpg

post-390788-0-82976700-1403462882.jpg

post-390788-0-83656100-1403462889.jpg

post-390788-0-86263700-1403462859.jpg

post-390788-0-23502800-1403462867.jpg

post-390788-0-67791600-1403462874.jpg

post-390788-0-82976700-1403462882.jpg

post-390788-0-83656100-1403462889.jpg

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/22/2014 3:03 pm

You are gorgeous so don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The skin has an amazing ability to heal itself. After a year of use on The Regimen, I not only had eczema but i had brown patches where the BP had literally changed the color and texture of my skin. 5 weeks post BP and acne meds and my skin texture and brown patches are gone. Of course I still have acne and the inflammation that comes with it but at least that's all I am dealing with.

Keep on keeping on, eat healthy, drink lots of water, think about juicing or smoothies to get vitamins in excess and go out each and every day and live/laugh/love

You may not get the skin that you want but at least you can be happy while you wait.

I feel your pain and I am where you are at times so don't ever feel alone or give up.

MemberMember
(@moonchild11)

Posted : 06/22/2014 3:42 pm

Hey Leelowe, Thank you so much for your response.

May I ask what kind of texture problem you had that went away?

Based on the pictures you see here, do you think it will all go away? When you said "You may not get the skin that you want but at least you can be happy while you wait." I sort of got the impression that it looks like intended scars to you,or did you simply mean it will take quite a while to heal and I won't have the skin I want in the meantime?

It's hard to be happy when you wear shame on your face for everyone to see and judge you based on :(

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 06/22/2014 3:52 pm

To me your skin really doesnt look that bad. I wouldnt judge it until you are off of Accutane anyway. Its pretty harsh so once youre off Id give it a month or so and she how its doing. I cant speak for anyone but I dont think she meant your skin will never get better she just means we can be so critical of our skin and want it flawless but in reality thats probably not going to happen. Anyway dont get too down about it, its not bad and you look fine! I completely get where youre coming from too! We are are own worst critics.

MemberMember
(@moonchild11)

Posted : 06/22/2014 5:09 pm

My skin used to be flawless (texture-wise); I only had small pimples that would never leave marks.

Is it really unrealistic to expect to to be the way it was a few months ago, eventually? That is, is it unrealistic to expect complete healing?

I just need to know whether this is permanent, irreversible damage=( I apologize if I am annoying by repeating my questions, but this is my life now and I am just trying to find answers to get my life back to the way it was before.

Here is what it looked like half a year ago. I was 21 there and I am 22 now so it would be absurd if I can't go back to normal because I am older now. This was my normal and I would like to go back to it/ not have permanent facial damage from my dermatologist's prescription for mild acne. Sounds reasonable?

post-390788-0-76531300-1403474728.jpg

post-390788-0-76531300-1403474728.jpg

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/22/2014 5:16 pm

Hey Leelowe, Thank you so much for your response.

May I ask what kind of texture problem you had that went away?

Based on the pictures you see here, do you think it will all go away? When you said "You may not get the skin that you want but at least you can be happy while you wait." I sort of got the impression that it looks like intended scars to you,or did you simply mean it will take quite a while to heal and I won't have the skin I want in the meantime?

It's hard to be happy when you wear shame on your face for everyone to see and judge you based on

My texture was rough from build up of dead skin caused by BP. Once i quit BP, that dead skin fell off over time and my skin was no longer dry and flaky, I didn't see any scarring, just read marks which should go away with time. If you want to speed up the process and your skin is not breaking out too much, AHA works for that. It takes a few months to see results but its worth a try if you want to speed up the process.

I know what you mean about happiness but even when our skin doesn't fit into society's idea of beauty, it's not about them. You have to love yourself in spite of challenges because if it wasn't acne, it would be something else.

MemberMember
(@moonchild11)

Posted : 06/22/2014 10:48 pm

I could swear the red mark on my cheek is indented, because it distorts ny smile and makes it assymetrical but indenting the apple of my cheek.

I dont really think this is a matter of not loving yourself the way you are/ body issues...because I can accept my varicose veins (very premature at 22), my man-like narrow hips, etc.

its more of a social issue. An issue about feeling uncomfortable socializing and wanting to go away and not exist.

I actually went to the hospital tonight because I am so distressed about this. I really hope that being a part of this forum and researching solutions will actually end up in fixing this problem. I cant participate in life knowing that I ruined my face and destroyed myself :(

MemberMember
(@moonchild11)

Posted : 06/24/2014 11:57 am

Has anyone recovered from tretinoin damage?