Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone Helppppp

MemberMember
(@ss1018)

Posted : 06/22/2014 12:00 am

Hello!

I've been on spironolactone 25mg for 6 weeks now for my hormonal acne. I'm not sure if I should go back to my doctor to up the dosage but I'm freaking out my skin on the lower half of my cheeks and my chin is in the midst of THE WORST breakout I've ever had in my entire life. I feel so destroyed, I've been having bad anxiety because of it and even had to call out of work today because I can't even cover it with makeup.

I eat healthy, exercise, and I stopped picking my skin (it was a huge problem for me in the past)

I've always had clear perfect skin growing up until I hit 21. Now I'm 24 and the breakout got more severe every year. I went on spiro to help me get my skin back and now I'm left with 50+ or so closed comedones, cysts, and papules all over my face. I'm just really depressed and it's affecting every aspect of my life now.

I'm not sure what to do should I ask my doctor for a antibiotic in conjunction with spiro or up my dosage of spiro or quit while there's no scars.

Please help. I really could use a friend that's going through or been through this my friends/family don't understand.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 06/23/2014 3:14 pm

spironolactone takes FOREVER to work. Honestly, for me, it was not worth the wait (after a year on 125mg a day I could not see any improvement), and I should have started accutane sooner.

Have you tried anything else besides spironolactone? Antibiotics or topicals, perhaps? It is doubtful that spiro is causing your acne, so upping the dose probably wouldn't hurt (as long as your potassium levels are ok, you should definitely get that checked before). Taking an antibiotic in tandem is probably a good idea as well, at least to reduce the inflammation.

MemberMember
(@ss1018)

Posted : 06/23/2014 8:23 pm

I've used clindymicin as a topical treatment but it only got me 60% clear. After two years it stopped working completely -_-

I'm thinking of starting the regimen, I've been wanting to for years but never got around to it.

Spiro worked wonders on my moms skin and I don't remember her having breakouts like this when she first started taking it.

I'm defiantly going to make a dr.s appt, I'm just nervous to go on oral antibiotics, I don't want my acne to build a resistance.

Thank you though for your answer!