Notifications
Clear all

(Pics Attached) Do I Have Folliculitis Or Perioral Dermatitis Or Just Cystic Hormonal Acne

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 06/21/2014 7:46 pm

Hey guys,

I have been dealing with cystic acne for 10 years and I am wondering if this is actually folliculitis or perioral dermatitis or hormonal acne. I have attached the pics here.

Whenever i take antibiotics, it seems to disappear completely.

Please let me know what you guys think!! I am on minocycline right now(100mg) so it is not as inflamed or as spread out as it used to be.

I have highlighted the areas of problem with a blue marker where i get most of my acne. They usually form a cluster of white heads around sides of my chin, under my nose or under my lips.

post-368154-0-61596800-1403397961.jpg

post-368154-0-50450900-1403397967.jpg

post-368154-0-86527400-1403397974.jpg

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 06/21/2014 9:08 pm

I would say acne especially if it goes away with antibiotics and its clearly not from shaving. I have the exact same thing going on right now.

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 06/21/2014 11:47 pm

How do you control it? Any tips? I notice it flares up when I eat a lot of sugar or spices. Or white rice!

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 06/22/2014 1:07 am

It's honestly hard to tell from the pictures. I had perioral dermatitis, but I can't tell if that's what this is. Have you tried changing your toothpaste to something sulfate and fluoride free? Do you use any lip balms which could be irritating the area around your mouth? Are the breakouts around your mouth different than on other parts of your face?

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 06/22/2014 4:14 am

It's honestly hard to tell from the pictures. I had perioral dermatitis, but I can't tell if that's what this is. Have you tried changing your toothpaste to something sulfate and fluoride free? Do you use any lip balms which could be irritating the area around your mouth? Are the breakouts around your mouth different than on other parts of your face?

I tried changing my toothpaste and I don't think that really worked. Right now I'd say its not as bad as it used to be. I would usually get a cluster of whiteheads around the corner of my mouth which would be inflamed and swelled up. But after cutting out sugar and white rice from my diet, that has gone down considerable and i only get 2-3 white heads a week.

The breakouts around my mouth are different from the ones I barely get on the upper half of my face! These ones, when at its worst, also leave behind yellowish stuff and it just gets very messy if i get a huge break out..and no, I don't use any lip balm but i used BP 10% 7 years ago around my mouth a lot! I never used a moisturizer back then and i think it made my mouth region very very sensitive!

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 06/22/2014 1:07 pm

Bump

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/22/2014 3:11 pm

Since cutting back on certain foods helped, maybe you want to try a complete diet overhaul. Why not try going Paleo as well as upping veggie intake.