Notifications
Clear all

I Really Need Help... Severe Acne

MemberMember
(@notusingaccountanymore)

Posted : 06/21/2014 2:20 pm

I'm having very bad breakouts on my cheeks and no matter what I use or try nothing works. My face is very red and the bottom of my face is swollen because of the acne. I've tried home remedies and Proactive but nothing works. I seriously need help any advice I can't afford to go to a dermatologist right now I hate having this on my face and I really need help

post-404386-0-90869200-1403378120_thumb.

post-404386-0-32926900-1403378398_thumb.

post-404386-0-90869200-1403378120_thumb.

post-404386-0-32926900-1403378398_thumb.

MemberMember
(@vishy555)

Posted : 06/22/2014 7:57 am

This worked for me. I am a 27 year old male from India. I started getting acne exactly a year ago. First it was one or two lesions. But as days progressed it became horrible. My face was covered with 10 - 15 large cystic lesions. I tried everything from topical treatment to oral antibiotics except retinoids. Nothing worked. But three months ago, i purchased Dermalogica's Medibac Clearing kit. Then things started to change. My acne was clearing slowly. But it was noticeable. The kit lasts about a month or so. I'm on my third kit. Now i have zero lesions but quite a few dark scars (No Pitting). I've been using Avene's Cleananc mask for the past month. And the scars are fading really fast. Right now, I'm using the Dermalogica's Kit as per the instructuions and the avene mask twice a week for exfoliation. Hope this helps.

MemberMember
(@iamlenlen)

Posted : 06/23/2014 6:05 am

Benzoyl peroxide would dry ypur skin. Do not use anything on your skin, not even mild soaps. I have had bad acne and now im clear. Soak yourself in sea salt or probably bathe in a clean sea if its near you. You would heal 100%. Hope i helped.

MemberMember
(@princess12)

Posted : 06/24/2014 7:57 am

Take Vitamin D test. Vit D deficiency could be the reason. or Vit A.

MemberMember
(@tootie2014)

Posted : 06/25/2014 1:14 am

If you haven't tried tretinoin cream, I highly recommend it. Within the first few weeks you will flare (and peel a bit and look a little pink due to excess blood flow to the area) but by 6 months you should be clear and by 12 months collagen will be boosted in your skin (including fine lines and fresh surface scarring helped). Nothing is a success over night. But I also want to add there are some interesting studies scientifically backing tretinoin use and zinc oxide topically applied during active breakouts.

I found an article titled "Oral Spironolactone in Post-teenage Female Patients with Acne Vulgaris" (I know you're a dude) on the NIH website stating two different enzyme activities (hormone activity in the skin specifically) in skin play a major role in acne and non-acne prone skin. Here's the quote:

"... acne-prone skin has greater activity of type-1 5-alpha-reductase activity, and non-acne-prone skin has greater activity of 17-beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase activity"

Tretinoin and other retinoids are known to boost 17-beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase activity. And Zinc Oxide is a 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor. As a kicker, Zinc Oxide has also been shown in studies to heal wounds faster. Another quote from an NIH study on their website:

"Zinc oxide in gauze significantly (P less than 0.05) increased re-epithelialization of the wounds (33% more epithelialized than control wounds after 64 hr) and in collagen sponge (76% more epithelialized than control wounds after 64 hr)." So it seems it would lessen the chance of scarring as well.

Any who, I bought a 1 pound bag of zinc oxide powder and used jojoba oil as a vehicle for it and have been slapping it on only my small areas I would normally breakout in every other night trading off with tretinoin and my skin tone is phenomenal. I highly recommend it for healing active breakouts and it seems scientifically it compliments tretinoin's work :)

As for tretinoin, I would HIGHLY suggest trying out a .025 cream. I am able to use it every other night now as I've been using it quite some time but I have had success in the past (quit out of cockiness) and have success now, 100% clear again. If you can't see a GP to get the tretinoin, at a minimum find a zinc oxide powder (store creams have a lot of excess ingredients) and pick an oil your skin tolerates and begin using it at night to lessen any scarring. This will calm all of that inflammation.