Notifications
Clear all

Spiro Use Long Term Ok? Plus An Overdue Update!

MemberMember
(@maskedone)

Posted : 06/21/2014 3:59 am

It's been over six months or so since I've been on these boards and wanted to provide hope to others who are going through this really crappy time of cystic acne. For anyone who's read my posts, I basically started getting multiple cysts all over my face less than one year ago (I had stopped bc). I was in the derm's office everyday getting cortisone injections (BTW, she was wonderful and I thankfully never had any indentation marks left). I was put on 100mg/day of Spiro and after some trial an error, 1000mg Keflex/day.

Skip to today, and I have not had one cyst since November. (I'm almost scared to type this. I don't want to jinx it!) I guess you could say I still breakout some, but it's comical compared to what I had. It's like a tiny one will pop up every now and then, and by the next day it's gone! So please, do not lose hope.

On that note, I'm wondering if anyone has been told by their derm that long-term Spiro use is not good, and 100mg is too high a dosage. I have a new PA (sadly, the last one had a baby didn't come back, and the derm of the office will not see acne patients. I guess that's a red flag right there). Her "methodology" is different from the previous PA's, as she let me know, and she'd like me off Spiro. I almost wanted to tell her, "Nice to meet you too, go f-ck yourself." She just was very abrasive, clearly didn't read my file, etc. She said 100mg is too high and it's not meant for LT use. Well, no other person at the office has said that, and, they've said 100mg isn't too high at all.

So has anyone heard this? Any thoughts? I will be switching to a different dermatologist though because that last visit was bs.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 06/21/2014 10:53 am

Read page 7. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3315877/

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 06/23/2014 10:47 am

oh my god, no. 100mg is not high at all,and it is absolutely ok for long-term use. Some doctors/P.As have no clue.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 07/04/2014 1:20 pm

It is fine for long-term use but a lot of doctors do not "like" it. I think this is purely because spiro is still such an unusual choice for acne. Every time I have to go to my doc to get my prescription renewed, she makes a comment like, "well you know we'll hope you'll grow out of your acne...do you think you still need it...have you tried going off it...are you sure you're not experiencing any side effects." It's annoying, I hope I won't have to find a new doc in the next year.