Notifications
Clear all

Cystic Pimple Weeping?

MemberMember
(@alokin42)

Posted : 06/21/2014 1:20 am

Hey guys, this is my first post to the forum here.

For the past year I have had cystic acne, and it seems to flair up in the summer months. Well this summer I found the perfect combination that works for me.

1. I use a normal salicylic cleanser morning and night (sometimes midday)

2. Tea tree oil as a spot treatment (I've read that people like to dilute it, but it works fine for me)

3. Turmeric capsules (supposedly decrease swelling and just help your skin I'm general)

It's too early to tell if the turmeric is working, but I haven't had a new cyst in the week I've been using it.

This combo drys my skin up pretty well, which seems to be the only way to keep my acne at bay.

Well here's my main issue.

About 6 months ago I had an insanely large cyst(abscess) on my chest, might have even been a combination of several cysts.

I was on vacation, so I had to live with it until I was able to make an app with the derm.

Once I got to the dermatologist, he said the size of the thing was threatening to my health and could have potentially led to other infections if left untreated. So, he injected it with the usual steroid cortisone injection. It deflated in under a week and I was happy to see it gone.

About a month ago it filled back up, but not to the extent it was before. I was able to poke a hole with a sterile needle and was able to drain the bastard. I was happy to avoid another trip to the derm.

Edit: The derm injected it again 2 months ago just to be safe also.

But for some reason it will not just dry up and heal like my other cysts. It kind of "weeps" and refills every day. And even worse, the hole will not heal and it just keeps oozing out as the sebum(right word?) is produced.

It is nasty and I am forced to put a bandaid on it.

What can I do to get rid of this thing or at least heal the hole?

I've tried benzoyl peroxide, Neosporin, tea tree oil, isopropyl alcohol, and a sulfur drying lotion.

MemberMember
(@alokin42)

Posted : 06/25/2014 2:48 pm

bump!!!

going on vacation in a week, need this thing gone!

I tried a turmeric mask overnight. Nothing. Maybe I'm not being patient enough...

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 06/25/2014 6:00 pm

Eep! Go back to your dermatologist and ask for antibiotics! Additionally, it sounds like you may need to have it sugically removed. It is likely a true sebaceous cyst (these are different from the under-the-skin bumps caused by cystic acne, as the term 'cyst' is actually a misnomer, the "cysts" caused by cystic acne do not usually contain cystic sacs), which means a doctor will need to remove the cystic 'sac' in order to stop the cyst from refilling and becoming infected again. Unfortunately, nothing you will do at home will stop the cyst from growing. Additionally, popping and draining it on your own only releases the fluid that becomes trapped in the sac, but doesn't prevent the sac from refilling. Additionally, popping and draining can introduce additional infection.

I would make an appointment with your derm before you leave for vacation. If not, be careful to keep the bandaid on, and keep the area clean.

MemberMember
(@alokin42)

Posted : 06/26/2014 9:51 am

Eep! Go back to your dermatologist and ask for antibiotics! Additionally, it sounds like you may need to have it sugically removed. It is likely a true sebaceous cyst (these are different from the under-the-skin bumps caused by cystic acne, as the term 'cyst' is actually a misnomer, the "cysts" caused by cystic acne do not usually contain cystic sacs), which means a doctor will need to remove the cystic 'sac' in order to stop the cyst from refilling and becoming infected again. Unfortunately, nothing you will do at home will stop the cyst from growing. Additionally, popping and draining it on your own only releases the fluid that becomes trapped in the sac, but doesn't prevent the sac from refilling. Additionally, popping and draining can introduce additional infection.

I would make an appointment with your derm before you leave for vacation. If not, be careful to keep the bandaid on, and keep the area clean.

Yeah, that's what I was fearing!

I have an appointment today, hopefully there is another solution other than having it surgically removed.

Thanks for your help!