Notifications
Clear all

Where To Start For Acne And Oil Free Diet?

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 06/21/2014 12:08 am

Im on week 19 of the Regimen, from where i used to be (moderate/severe acne), ive improved tremendously. Im still getting some isolated acne though, a new one maybe every couple days... by the time i am clear, a new one comes, or when one goes, the next day i get a new one... super frustrating. So, to give an extra push to finally being totally clear and stable at that level of clearness from active acne, im going to finally totally change my diet since i hear so much about how powerful it can be for anything... and it makes sense since what you put in your body will translate to what you get out, and i want to put good in to get good out. Thing is, i have no idea where to start. So i come here for guidance. The things i want to achieve from this new diet is obviously to have as little acne as possible, reduce inflammation, reduce acne scar redness, reduce oiliness and dryness of skin to finally get an even and regular skin type instead of annoying combination skin. So... what can i do or change in my diet to achieve this?

If it helps, im 18 years old, about 5' 6" tall and around 150 lbs, Mexican American with very light skin (people usually think im Caucasian) and naturally very oily skin, but since the regimen, now i have combination skin (oily in T Zone and more dry just about all my lower half of my face). My diet normally consists of beef, pork... any meat, really... grains, breads, rice, beans. I dont really know how else to describe it. My breakfast is usually either cereal with coconut milk (i dont drink cow milk anymore), oatmeal, or toast with butter/jelly/PB. Lunch is pretty random, but again, can include meat, bread, tortillas, corn products, rice, beans, whole grains. Same thing with dinner. Then snacks can be anything around like chips (i know, horrible), candy, etc. But now im starting to try my best to replace bad snacks with things like fruits, vegetables, or anything better than what is at hand. I am also starting to use my parents' "Montel Williams Living Well HealthMaster" blender to make smoothies and juice blends of just whatever fruits and vegetables i think would be good together, but ive been focusing on making "Magic Juice" by a user here for acne. Ill list the ingredients below.

So, i really need help, guys. Any help at all is greatly appreciated. Please and Thank You in advance!

Magic Juice:

In a juicer, combine:
5-6 carrots
1 medium beet
2-3 stalks of celery
1 small apple (Green is preferred. Omit if you are very sugar-sensitive)
1 small (1inch) piece of ginger (optional, but good for digestion)
If blending, make sure to add plenty of water, juice, or whatever else you want in order to make it less thick and pulpy.
This makes a variable amount of juice depending on the size of the vegetables you use.

Drink this throughout the morning until it's gone. Store in the fridge not longer than one day.
MemberMember
(@threedaysgrace)

Posted : 06/21/2014 3:39 am

Have a low gi / low gl diet. Low gl basically looks at the quantity of food your consuming for example people in asian countries consume white rice (high gi) however do not have acne becuasse they consume it only in small amounts.

Remove corn products- corn is high gi, there are some fruits such as watermelon and cantoloupe that can break people out becuase they are high gi.

Dont go for instant oatmeal look for steel cut oats or traditional irish porridge which will have 100percent wholegrain oats add olive oil sesame seeds pumkin seeds to reduce gi.

Fat and fibre reduce the gi of foods also make sure your not consuming large quantities of fructose or sucrose.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm

You said that you have severe acne as well for cystic acne look into food allergens such as tree nuts,bananas,wheat, shellfish, gluten, citrus , nightshades, and also do not drink coffee. Oats are contaminated with gluten so you may want to find some pure oats.

Look into histamine intolerance , cystic and nodular acne is food intolerance rated around the jawline or neck it is hormonal.

Follow a low histamine diet if you have cystic acne even after eliminateing food allergens . Histamine liberators and high histamine foods should be avoided. Eat fresh food.

High histamine foods

• Pickled, tinned, canned, preserved foods
  • Cheese: especially matured and hard cheese the more matured the more histamine
  • Smoked, cured meat, cured ham, salami
  • Most fish products (all shell fish), especially preserved fish products
  • Beans and pulses/legumes (especially chickpeas and soy beans, also peanuts))
  • Soy products (soy milk, soy cream, tofu, soy sauce,...)
  • Products from wheat
  • Sauerkraut and other pickles
  • Ready meals
  • Some fruit varieties (banana, pears, aubergines, oranges, kiwi, strawberries)
  • Alcohol, especially wine and beer
  • Yeast (better: products produced with yeast)
  • Black and green tea
  • Chocolate, cocoa, savoury snacks/biscuits, sweets with preservatives and/or food colourings
  • Wine vinegar
  • Nuts, walnuts, cashew
  • processed foods

Histamine liberators foods SHOULD BE AVOIDED : left over fish and left over meat , fish such as mackrel, sardines tuna, nut, citrus, banana ,kiwi, pulses legumes, tomatoes , pineapple, papaya, cocoa , strawberrries, aubergine, spinach, grapes, mango, red prunes, dried fruit, avocado , mushroom, peas, olives, coffee and black tea.

Supplement with b vitamins make sure it has no added stuff just vegetable magnesium sterate, cellulose or gelatin capsule. Fortified cereals and certian supermarket products have added b vitamins

The dao enzyme is very important for histamine intolerance

Foods that block the DAO:

• Alcohol
  • Cocoa
  • Black tea
  • Green tea
  • Mate tea
  • Energy drinks

Foods low in histamine

• Cream cheese
  • Fresh meat (fresh, cooled, frozen)
  • Freshly caught fish and seafood
  • Fresh fruit: melon, blueberry, cranberries (lingonberries), litchi, khaki, rhubarb, cherries red currants, apricot, apple
  • Fresh vegetables: lettuce, cabbage, beetroot, pumpkin, onion, radishes, lambs lettuce, paprika, carrot, broccoli, potato, cucumber, leek, zucchini (courgettes), sweet corn, asparagus, garlic,
  • Grains, pasta: spelt-, corn-, rice noodles; yeast-free rye bread; corn-, rice crisp bread; rice; rolled/porridge oats, oat flakes; puffed rice crackers; corn-, rice-, millet flower.
  • Substitutes for milk: rice-, oat-, coconut milk
  • All fruit juices except citrus fruits and/or juices without added tomato, all vegetable juices (except Sauerkraut)
  • Herbal teas (except those mentioned above)
  • Egg yolk

Caffeine destroys your skin it depletes your body of its b vitamins leading to histamine intolerance. In the summer I drank 2 cups, somedays i drank 4 cups of coffee combined with the stress of today's society, I got severe acne. The depletion of b vitamins particulaly b6, b5 and b12 means food intolerance occur. I was never intolerant to citrus but now i could die if i eat 3 tangerines which is why you need to avoid caffeine When you have acne you tend to be stressed combined with caffeine, your b vitamin levels will sink further. I also hae livedo reticularis - b12 deficency. Instead of oats you can also try to find yourself some gluten free fortified cereals which have added b vitamins, niacin and folic acid.

FINALLY- avoid all preservatives and extra hormone dded food look for organic chicken . Avoid products that do not clearly state the ingredients some just simply say flavourings and do not state what these " flavourings" actually are.

MemberMember
(@threedaysgrace)

Posted : 06/21/2014 4:47 am

Look into antinflammatory, anti histamine, antioxdant foods

- garlic- antihistamine- very anti inflammatory start with one clove berries- acai berry, acerola berry - high in vitamin c

- chammonile tea anti histamine and reduces stress Cinnamon - no more than 2g otherwise toxic

- caretenoids- beta carotene: carrots, sweet potato

- Querecitin rich foods- lovage leaves, apples

- black pepper and tumeric drink- anti inflammatory

- cumin seeds - a teaspoon

Anti inflammatory spices and teas

chamomile tea, nettle tea or ginger tea, and add garlic, thyme, fennel and basil to your recipes.

consume one teaspoon of each spice a day : Some spices have phytoestrogens so best not to have lots ,half a teaspoon of cayenne cuz it is hot,

top 15 anti-inflammatory herbs and spices.

Black Pepper

Tumeric

Basil

Cardamom

Cayenne

Cloves

Ginger

Parsley

Nutmeg

Rosemary

Colorful fruits and vegetables such as blueberries, strawberries, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and bell peppers are rich in flavanoids, says Buzzle.com. These flavanoids act like antihistamines and also contain carotenes, which promote anti-inflammatory activity. According to McVitamins.com, garlic and onions act in the same way to retard the inflammatory reactions of allergies.

Topicals - try licorice extract or chammonile tea

And look at alternavista pinned thread - about diet and acne on the hollistic forum

Also for oily skin try spearmint tea, peppermint or licorice they all reduces testosterone but liquorice more significantly however i wold not directly mess with your hormones until you have done the above - it says on your profile your male SO YOU PROBABLY DONT WANNA DO THE testerone reducing tea part

GOOD LUCK

sustakp liked
MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 06/21/2014 1:38 pm

Wow thanks so much for all that info!

Luckily, I don't have cystic acne, never have, and hopefully never will. So do I need to worry about those food allergens you listed early on? What about gluten or histamine/liberators/low histamine stuff you listed?What about DAO too? Do I need to worry about eating just low histamine foods or avoiding histamine liberators

I do have pretty bad allergies though, to normal stuff like trees, grass, dust, dirt, to make it easy, nearly everything in nature or that grows naturally lol. I've been getting allergy tolerance shots for a couple years though, and almost done with that and its helped actually... easy to notice during allergy season.

I know coffee is bad, but is it the caffeine or the coder itself? Like can we drink de-caffeinated coffee?

Also, how does anti-histamine foods and histamine affect most people with normal acne?

MemberMember
(@threedaysgrace)

Posted : 06/22/2014 12:49 pm

Wow thanks so much for all that info!

Luckily, I don't have cystic acne, never have, and hopefully never will. So do I need to worry about those food allergens you listed early on? What about gluten or histamine/liberators/low histamine stuff you listed?What about DAO too? Do I need to worry about eating just low histamine foods or avoiding histamine liberators

I do have pretty bad allergies though, to normal stuff like trees, grass, dust, dirt, to make it easy, nearly everything in nature or that grows naturally lol. I've been getting allergy tolerance shots for a couple years though, and almost done with that and its helped actually... easy to notice during allergy season.

I know coffee is bad, but is it the caffeine or the coder itself? Like can we drink de-caffeinated coffee?

Also, how does anti-histamine foods and histamine affect most people with normal acne?

Well that great if you dont have cystic acne then you dont have to do the low histamine diet or worry about food allergens.

Yes it is the caffeine thats bad llike i said i had just a case of mild acne before and have always been under stress however the caffeine just worsened my problems I have a list of problems including severe acne due to the depletion of b vitamins making it impossible to eat histamine rich food and histamine liberators. I drank tea twice a day before but tea is low in caffeine. 100 percent arabica beans dark roast coffee has a really low amount of caffeine so yeah you can also drink decaffeined coffee as well.

Well anti histamine foods only affects those who are either intolerant to them due to a lack of b6 b12 and b5 vitamins. I had normal acne before but after consuming 2-4 cups of coffee a day my histamine tolerance reduced. A diet rich in refined food that result in fluctuating blood sugars such as white flour, instant oatmeal also reduce histamine tolerance. I am now intolerant to foods such as citrus which i used to enjoy.

The biggest vitamin deficency however is b6 - fortified cereals have a good amount such as vitality cereal in asda uk

MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 03/23/2015 9:20 pm

Hey, Threedaysgrace, what liquid do you use with your cereal? I'm in a low histamine diet as well which means no nuts or dairy. Oat milk is the only milk I use, but I haven't tried cold cereals yet. What cereals do you eat? I would like to give some a try.

MemberMember
(@cross17)

Posted : 04/03/2015 11:14 am

Get clear !!

I've struggled with persistent cystic acne for 13 years. I am finally crystal clear (I get a small breakout if I stray away from my regimen or eat the wrong things but whatever sometimes you need junk food!) now I'm no expert, but I do know what it's like to cry when you see your face without makeup If this is you, read on!

Now, after visiting the dermatologist many many times, I've had some short-lived success. The only thing that has given me consistent success is changing what I put into my body. Ever feel like you are taking amazing care of your skin and still breaking out? That's because our skin is a direct reflection of our health-acne is a symptom of a bigger problem: lack of nutrition!

Many people have food intolerances and don't know it. So we eat the same things day in and day out and our body tries to eliminate them (via our skin for some people like me and you). Some common triggers: dairy, gluten, processed sugar (me), corn (me). By eliminating corn and corn products-read labels!! And lowering sugar intake while adding whole food nutrition via my diet and juice plus capsules (life saver! Also helped with weight loss for me)...I am totally clear and confident. Check my profile for before/after pictures.

Regimen:

Eliminate corn products in diet

Reduce sugar in diet

Take juice plus capsules

Eat mostly non processed foods

Topical:

Am: wash with cera ve sensitive skin wash

Moisturize with Jergens for face spf 15

Almay clear complexion makeup

Mac bronzing powder

Pm: wash with cera be sensitive skin wash

Moisturize with neutrogena oil free

Treat with acne.org treatment (3 times a week)

I've done the regimen without the diet change. Helped but did not keep the giant, under the skin cysts from forming! Hit me up for any questions you have