Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey all...

So I like summer because sunshine and beaches, but I hate summer because sunshine and beaches.

Being in the sunlight means my skin will be the center of attention and my ice pick scars will be more protuded.

Beaches suck because they wash away my make up and show my hyperpigmentation from scarring.

In a few weeks, I'm going on a trip with my significant other and I'm SO DEATHLY AFRAID of going to sleep with no makeup on because he'll see me. And I don't like how I look with out make up. These past few days I've been so crazy with my regime and my make up and my face. All I think about is my face. I look in a mirror and I think of how awful my face looks. Its driving me insane. I just wanna be pretty. I wish I had enjoyed my clear skin when I was younger...

My acne is moderate now but my problem is scarring. I'm afraid of getting chemical peels and messing up the progress with the possiblility of more breakouts. I'm afraid of quitting my stupid birth control because that means my horomones will be back to how they used to be and I'll break out more. So I'm just stuck in this endless pit of fear not wanting to do anything because I'm afraid of ruining my progress....

You shouldn't worry so much about your SO seeing you without makeup.. I'm sure he already has and doesn't care.

As for being scared to try new things for your scarring, unless you do some extreme ridiculous peel you shouldn't have any problems.. If you do experience any irritation it will be minor and you'll know what does and doesn't work.

Many girls look pretty with Acne and anyway face is the first thing people notice but when you talk to a person then you find the beauty within and really then face doesn't matter.

I was terrified of my SO seeing me without my makeup too when my acne was bad (I have been on accutane for the last 6 months of our 18 month relationship, lol!), and you know what? He didn't care. Yes, he saw that I had acne and my skin was a red white-head riddled mess. He DID notice. But the only thing he cared about was whether or not I was in pain.

At the beginning of our relationship when we first starting spending nights at each other's places, I had a particularly ugly, painful breakout on my cheek. I was washing my face for the evening and he was already in bed and the bedroom lights were off, so I was comfortable that he wouldn't see my face because I would wake-up before him in the morning and put on make-up. While I was cleansing my face, a big painful nodule popped, and blood started pouring down my face as I frantically grabbed toilet paper to stem the bleeding. I heard his voice at the bathroom door, and I turned aroundo realize he was standing there watching me wash my face and trying to stop my nasty bleeding nodule. He said "Oh my gosh, your bleeding!" And I couldn't say anything back except..."it's a pimple and it really hurts". He moved my hand away, looked right at it and said "I am so sorry hon. That does look like it hurts, I hate those under the skin pimples, they're super painful. Can I get you some ice or a bandaid?"

The moral of the story? Your SO has probably had acne too, and he probably knows what it's like.

If you guys have been together more than a few weeks, he will think you are equally beautiful without as you are with makeup, and he will just be happy to wake up to you in the morning.

I am right there with you! I love/hate the summer too. Water is the enemy :(

It really is a second time job applying make up so your SO doesn't have to see your acne. But I wouldn't DARE walk out the bathroom without it.

Two thing I really dislike about Summer--

Sunburns. I despise sunblock, the smell, the feel, the way it makes my skin react and break out.

I'm always on some kind of topical or antibiotic that makes my skin sensitive to light, and I'm already pale to begin with. If I find myself out in the bright sun for more than a few minutes, I end up with a two-tone sunburn.

Winter acne (for myself) is usually more easily contained through use of moisturizer. I find it easier to handle since my skin doesn't get as oily in the dry cold air or dry heat.

Humidity and constant sweating= getting acne/folliculitis in the worst possible places imaginable. When I get changed at the gym in the morning before work, I'm sweating even as I'm drying myself off after a shower...

Sunburns. I despise sunblock, the smell, the feel, the way it makes my skin react and break out.

I'm always on some kind of topical or antibiotic that makes my skin sensitive to light, and I'm already pale to begin with. If I find myself out in the bright sun for more than a few minutes, I end up with a two-tone sunburn.

Winter acne (for myself) is usually more easily contained through use of moisturizer. I find it easier to handle since my skin doesn't get as oily in the dry cold air or dry heat.

Humidity and constant sweating= getting acne/folliculitis in the worst possible places imaginable. When I get changed at the gym in the morning before work, I'm sweating even as I'm drying myself off after a shower...

Oh don't get me started on humidity. Here in NJ 90% of the days are above 75% humidity :(.

Have to wear an undershirt every time I go out or it looks like I ran a marathon.

Oh don't get me started on humidity. Here in NJ 90% of the days are above 75% humidity .

Have to wear an undershirt every time I go out or it looks like I ran a marathon.

Oh yes-- I'm in PA, so I feel your pain... and sweat...

I want to go to a beach, but I think people are going to bully me

I've got dark marks on my shoulders/upper back, its the reason I don't wear tank tops and haven't gone to the beach yet this year.

I don't have acne but I have the dreadful aftermath. Scars. I have despised the sunlight for the past few years. I hate it so much that even when I feel it touch my skin I feel extremely uncomfortable because I know it how accentuates every single flaw on my face. I miss those days where I could just walk outside in the sunshine with my hair tied up with skin being the last thing on my mind. Now I swear it's like I have a sunlight phobia. I hate that I can't enjoy life anymore.

And I also totally understand the issue with the significant other. My bf and I are long distance but every time he has come to visit, I have felt so selfconcius about my skin. Intimacy is tough. I have only had sex with him in the dark cause thats the only way I feel comfortable. And I feel that it's unfair to him because I really hold back on a lot of things cause of my skin. I love going hiking and camping but am to afraid to go with him. It sucks because I love him and wanna be able to give him the best version of me but feel she no longer exists.

I don't have acne but I have the dreadful aftermath. Scars. I have despised the sunlight for the past few years. I hate it so much that even when I feel it touch my skin I feel extremely uncomfortable because I know it how accentuates every single flaw on my face. I miss those days where I could just walk outside in the sunshine with my hair tied up with skin being the last thing on my mind. Now I swear it's like I have a sunlight phobia. I hate that I can't enjoy life anymore.

And I also totally understand the issue with the significant other. My bf and I are long distance but every time he has come to visit, I have felt so selfconcius about my skin. Intimacy is tough. I have only had sex with him in the dark cause thats the only way I feel comfortable. And I feel that it's unfair to him because I really hold back on a lot of things cause of my skin. I love going hiking and camping but am to afraid to go with him. It sucks because I love him and wanna be able to give him the best version of me but feel she no longer exists.

Same. I hate the sun. I fear hyperpigmentation on my scars- this summer has been the worst of any I can remember. I also fear photoaging. I'm so sensitive to heat and it inflames my acne from the inside, gives me an overall uncomfortable feeling, just puts me on edge and I can't relax. I haven't seen the guy I had been seeing all summer. He thinks I'm a neurotic spaz, and now I'm sure he thinks I'm just over him. Mourning the loss of the best version of me, too. F#@% THIS ACNE!!!

Ice pick scars from pimples and acne are very devastating and I feel how you feel. BB cream and mineral foundation can conceal the marks and scars and there are water proof concealer.

You can also try microdermabrasion for scars . Microdermabrasion will buff down the skin surrounding the scar, evening out the surface and making the pits and shadows less apparent. Microdermabrasion used to be a painful process administered by a metal sander, but now most offices exfoliate the skin with tiny crystals, which is relatively painless and almost bloodless.

Edited by prettysam

I feel the same exact way . I love summer because you can go to the beach and have a good time , but then I take a step back & think "oh yea you can't do that " . Why ? Because of acne scars all over my body. & I'm not talking about your regular deep acne scars , I'm talking about hypertrophic scars. I have them in my chest and shoulders and they suck . I don't think anybody has ever seen me without a shirt in yeaaaaaaaaars. I also have one on my neck . It's not as big as the ones in my body , but it's still really noticeable. I have a gf and the funny thing is when we first started going out back in June 2012 , I was so worried about her founding out that I had these types of scars. I was scared that she would leave me . She did eventually discover them and she didn't care because she fell in love with me and not my physical flaws. I'm pretty sure your bf will feel the same way (:

So don't have any worries and have a good time !

Hi there!

So this is what I would do:

Why don't you buy a cute hat? I personally adore colorful caps from Roxy and Bilabong. wub.png That way you cover your face from the sun, and your scars won't be very visible.

Also, I absolutely love this baby Anthelios 50 Body Mineral Tinted Sunscreen. It is light, easy to apply, and tinted so it is not like you have heavy makeup on.

Bright bikini! Bright pink, peachy,yellow or turquoise colors are great. Are you tan? Light spray tan can help. Also, when you have a great butt and abs not many people stare into your face.

And,lastly, you are absolutely GORGEOUS! Stop stressing! You worry too much, why are you focusing on the negative? Look at it this way. It's summer, you are going on vacation with your boy! It is exciting, you will have lots of fun!!

i always stress out so much about the scars on my face during the summer especially when i am about to go away but one thing i have noticed is when i get to my destination that i dont even think about it that much. its like i have so much going on that i dont really have time to think about it. i'm so happy and feel like i am back to my normal self and then i come home and its like BAM it just hits me all over again.

at home though i do find that if i keep myself super busy and always have something planned then i do so much better than if i dont go out and just sit at the house. when i am at home i tend to look at my skin more and when i go out i just try to put it in the back of my mind. i stopped carrying a mirror with me a year or so ago and it has really helped me but i still find myself getting stressed out if a friend wants to go to a bar and sit outside. i dont think i will ever be ok with that unfortunately but i force myself to do in hopes that one day it will get easier.

Edited by tracy521